Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Is it a bad thing if you have sore hips?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is it a bad thing if you have sore hips?

I know that some types of soreness is considered good, while other soreness is a bad thing. (If you lift something heavy, and the next day your bicep muscles are sore, it is a good thing. But if your bac is sore the next day, it is a BAD thing).

I've been praticing the jab and the straight right cross to start with, and I've been focusing on twisting the hips when I punch. Having done this, my hips are now a bit sore (especially my right hip). I was wondering if it's okay for hips to be sore or not?

Now the pain in my hips is by no means excruciating or agonizing. I don't feel like I've pulled a muscle or injured myself or anything. I can still walk, bend down, twist my hips, run (although I feel the soreness a bit at first while jogging until I get warmed up), it's just a light soreness.

All I've done is just repitition boxed (I took Greynotold's advice in the other topic I started), haven't been going at it hard or fast than anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is it a bad thing if you have sore hips?

Forgot to mention, although I'm new in boxing and am just training at the house (no boxing gym or instructor), I've been on youtube closely watching videos from an account named Myboxingcoach. So it's not like I've used the wrong technique or anything.

Here's one of his videos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is par for the course to a degree as you have been saying, but don't let it get any worse.

If its still there a few days after training after a rest day and after not doing anything relating to hip stress then go get it seen to.

You probably haven't been doing light fast warm up exercises and progressive stretching before getting into serious repetitions.
    That's a big mistake.

And it will catch up with you if you dont, and if thats in the hips then you will not be flowing through life very well at that stage, so take it seriously now and deal with it and get it right.

Try and go to a real coach or gym too they will be able to see more in you than you can see in you and get you into shape a lot faster and the correct way without falling into bad habits.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hips move 6 Degrees to protect the Spine no more. Its the Feet and Knee that does the work to Direct the Hip and rotate the Body.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks for the advice; Andre what types of warm-up excercises and stretches would you recommend me doing?

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Put your hands on your knees and revolve your knees around both ways, stay there and bend them in and out. do a few fast knee lifts inf front of you while standing couple of leg lifts in front nothing slow and strenuous just fast moves to warm up joints. Stand and revolve ankles around while on one foot (helps balance and mind concentrating on two things too).

Now put hands on hips and go back and forth and revolve them around and around both ways left and right.

Now a few light fast squats.

Shake your legs out and wiggle them around lightly while on one foot lossen up knees and ankles like vibrating and shaking them out freely getting some blood moving.

Walk it off only for 30 seconds.

Now sit on floor stretch out your legs in a V and lightly take your body over one at a time (just over the thigh or knee for now) then the other leg do this a few times as warm up for lower back, hips and back of leg stretches all while moving but slowly increasing the stretch by lowering body down. Do maybe ten or so each side, then you can go from one to the other slowly still while holding down the stretch but still very slightly dont ever over do it.

Then you can concentrate on one side and hold the stretch down getting your chin over your knee and your hands around your foot. Hold comfortable stretches for about 30 40 seconds at first then relax and go another stage lower.

(Never bounce up and down in a stretch only clowns looking to tear themselves do this)

Eventually you'll be able to stay down there complelty relaxed and grab your toes dont over stretch just work through it slow and sure then if you want to increase the stretch pick your toes up with your fingers and pull them back to you so your heel is off the ground this is done lightly. The further your body goes to your knees the more stretch as well.

You can do one leg at a time by sitting on one and leaning down over one thats out straight.

This helps MMa fighters more than boxers via kicks etc but I think it can really help you move faster and freely when you are supple.

Do a few slow squats with your knees out to the sides then do the warm ups and the revolve joints again and finish with a few shake outs walk it out for a minute and you're done.

You can then do hard work even kicking the heavy bag with full leg and hip twist and you will not get damage from starting cold.
    Last edited by Andre; 03-18-2012 at 03:11 AM.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you stretch, stretch only to the point of mild discomfort; do NOT stretch to the point of actual pain. Not only can this cause tiny tears in the muscles, but on top of it, your flexiblility will not even improve.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post
    When you stretch, stretch only to the point of mild discomfort; do NOT stretch to the point of actual pain. Not only can this cause tiny tears in the muscles, but on top of it, your flexiblility will not even improve.
    Very true.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tiny Tares happen all the time,not a bad thing. Helps the Body identify, and repair bigger ones qiucker
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post
    You mean to say if I try to stretch too hard it won't even help make me more limber?? i never would have figured that i'll keep that in mind.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ITs true ,its a slow art that helps with all other parts of your training,its stop you getting damage from fireing up too soon from a cold start, and I think it helps with fluidity and therefore speed in techniques.
    But you can do damage and go backwards very easily though and like Scrap said you are tearing , stretching and repairing even in small doses, but thats the idea (so that when you do go flat out you've already done the work through those zones so it doesnt create a big tears or worse in tendons. Just dont go over board to fast or into a low painful stretch to soon.

You can do shoulders,waist neck,back every muscle and tendon area you have.

I can explain it.

Thread Information