Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lomachenko? Name 1-3 fighters he needs to face to satisfy you.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Lomachenko? Name 1-3 fighters he needs to face to satisfy you.

Lots of people disappointed with his opposition - even though it's incredible for someone with 10 fights - so who should he fight?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lomachenko? Name 1-3 fighters he needs to face to satisfy you.

It's not about 10 fights. It's about him being called number 1 P4P.

People saying he's the best fighter in 30 years

On the 10 fights scale his opposition is great.

He should fight Rigo who wants the fight, Berchelt who wants the fight or Mikey who wants the fight

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well since you ask......

For someone who was anointed as one of the best p4p with just a handful of professional fights, I'd say I'd like him to face the likes of Mikey Garcia in order to satisfy me. Someone who won't be overwhelmed by the hype by the time he steps into the ring. Someone who won't let Loma clown him like Marriaga just did.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At 130 he's got Berchelt, Davis and Corrales. Add in Rigo as he apparently is willing to come to 130. At 135 there's Garcia and Linares. Flanagan and Easter are unbeaten belt holders. 140 might be a bit high but Crawford is the monster in the room.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Right, so we have...

Garcia - who just fought at 140, two weight divisions above Loma's current weight.

Rigo - who just fought at 122, two weight divisions below Loma's current weight.

Berchelt - someone at his current weight.

Is that it? For a man that's had 10 fights he only has ONE worthwhile opponent in his own/current weight division that could satisfy fans? Doesn't leave him many options, does it?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Garcia - who just fought at 140, two weight divisions above Loma's current weight.

Right. And the fight before last he was at 135... and before that he was at super featherweight.
    In this day and age where fighters go through weight divisions like pancakes at an "all you can eat", it's anything but a stretch to see Loma in there with Mikey.

Or should we keep feeding him wide-eyed youngsters?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Right, so we have...

Rigo - who just fought at 122, two weight divisions below Loma's current weight.

Berchelt - someone at his current weight.

Is that it? For a man that's had 10 fights he only has ONE worthwhile opponent in his own/current weight division that could satisfy fans? Doesn't leave him many options, does it?
    I get your point, no top fighter should ever fight a top fighter.

But look how deceptive you are. You bring up Garcia fighting at 140 as if he is a 140 fighter. He isn't, he's chasing big fights. It was what, 3 fights ago Mikey was at Loma's current weightclass? They can meet at 135 no problem.

And then you go to "has ONE worthwhile opponent in his own/current weightclass that could satisfy fans?" Because I only mentioned 1. But I didn't only mention one because there is only one. You said name 1-3 fighters that could satisfy fans. I had already named 3. So why would I name more when I've already named 3 that openly want to fight him? Should I also name great fighters that aren't looking at him? You've changed your question, perhaps tell me all the ways you intend to change it so I know exactly what picture you are trying to paint

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Right. And the fight before last he was at 135... and before that he was at super featherweight.
    In this day and age where fighters go through weight divisions like pancakes at an "all you can eat", it's anything but a stretch to see Loma in there with Mikey.

So you want a guy with 10 fights to move up in weight to challenge one of the P4P best in the world. A guy with 10 fights that hasn't even cleaned out his current division. For a guy with 10 fights he sure must be special.

That was my point. Thanks.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

So you want a guy with 10 fights to move up in weight to challenge one of the P4P best in the world. A guy with 10 fights that hasn't even cleaned out his current division. For a guy with 10 fights he sure must be special.

That was my point. Thanks.

He's already been anointed. He was given a title shot in his 2nd pro fight.

Sure... he hasn't "cleaned out his division yet"... he's only got 10 pro fights. There's a little more than 10 contenders at 130.

So.... again.... should we continue feeding him wide-eyed youngsters? So he can mug for the camera?

I'll probably get tired of it.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm confused at your motive here. Loma has only 10 professional fights. We get that. He has about 400 amateur fights so he isn't some normal fighter with 10 fights. We all know that he is one of the best fighters in the world. In order to prove that he is the best though, he has to have a signature win.

There are a few fighters at his weight class that would be good fights. Loma would definitely be favored in them all but they are better than Marriaga for sure. Rigo is obviously under him in weight but is a very good fighter and would be a great technical fight. I would love a Garcia fight at 135 too.

Here is the thing though, I'm fine if he wants to stay at 130 and clean out the division. He needs to fight the top guys of the division though. Not just decent competition. I mean why not make the Vladez fight instead of the fighter that Valdez beat? I just don't think Loma needs to take easier fights at this time in his career.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can't on the one hand claim lofty p4p status on a guy with 10 pro fights, and then back away when given worthy candidates to fight. It's hypocritical. Don't think anyone really enjoyed tonight's main event, as it was anything but competitive. If a guy's gonna be crowned p4p # 1... or Top 3... or whatever... then put him in against other top fighters who won't be intimidated by the hype train. To also claim weight differences, especially given these guys are basically the same size.... smells of Canelo avoiding GGG all over again.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In any case, I'll stick to my answer. Lomachenko facing Mikey Garcia would really satisfy me.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think every fight from here needs to be relevant for Loma. I'm not really interested in a Salido rematch anymore unless he does something to warrant it (win a belt or defeats a contender). If Loma stays at 130 it needs to be unification's. If he wants to challenge himself and back up his talk he targets Mikey. There was talk of Loma going to 135 for Flanagan, why does the tune change when Garcia will be in the other corner?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I'm confused at your motive here. Loma has only 10 professional fights. We get that. He has about 400 amateur fights so he isn't some normal fighter with 10 fights. We all know that he is one of the best fighters in the world. In order to prove that he is the best though, he has to have a signature win.
    Well that right there explains exactly why he can be considered P4P no.1

Amateur fights?

He's not just a unique incredibly skilled two weight world champion within 10 fights he's also the greatest ever amateur. If his amateur career is a reason to fasttrack him then equally it must be factored into his current standing.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    If he wants to challenge himself and back up his talk he targets Mikey. There was talk of Loma going to 135 for Flanagan, why does the tune change when Garcia will be in the other corner?
    Loma has said he wont fight Garcia?

Barring Garcia - which is clearly everyones favourite - i'd prefer Davis at 130 than Linares/Flanagan etc at lightweight, although they're all top matchups.

Thread Information