Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Oleksandr Usyk To Return in Mid-May In U.S. As A Heavyweight

The Oleksandr Usyk tour is returning to the United States.

Following a 2018 campaign which saw the Ukrainian southpaw become undisputed cruiserweight king while winning three fights in three separate countries, the reigning Fighter of the Year is ready to test the heavyweight waters in the year ahead.

Alex Krassyuk, general director of K2 Promotions Ukraine met with Eddie Hearn—whose Matchroom Boxing entered a co-promotional deal with Usyk late last year—to discuss next steps for the pound-for-pound entrant. First up will be his testing the heavyweight waters, to determine if the weight is a good fit or if convincing enough to remain at cruiserweight.

“Most likely, the ring return of Oleksandr Usyk will take place in the heavyweight division on either May 18th or 25th in the USA,” Krassyuk announced through K2’s social media platform on Wednesday.

Much of the championship run for Usyk (16-0, 12KOs) has been one continuous road tour. The 2012 Olympic Gold medalist for his native Ukraine has fought largely in hostile territory for more than two years beginning with his title-winning effort over Krzysztof Glowacki in their Sept. ’16 battle in Poland.

His very first title defense—a 9th round stoppage of Thabiso Mchunu in Dec. ‘16—marked his stateside debut. The bout took place at The Forum in Inglewood, Calif.., the lone fight among his championship reign in which neither side could claim home nation advantage.

An April ’17 points win over American contender Michael Hunter in Oxon, Maryland marked the last time Usyk fought in the U.S., having since fought in four separate countries in as many fights.

The road tour began with a 10th round knockout of former cruiserweight champ Marco Huck, with their Sept. ’17 clash in Germany officially kicking off the cruiserweight portion of the World Boxing Super Series. Usyk would go on to run the tables, collecting three belts along the way in outpointing previously unbeaten titlists Mairis Brieidis in Latvia and Murat Gassiev in Russia.

For good measure, Usyk made it three road wins in 2018 following a rousing 8th round knockout of Tony Bellew. Their DAZN-streamed battle last November took place in front of a sold-out crowd in Manchester, England, also teasing the possibility that it could be his last as a cruiserweight.

Neither an opponent nor location have been offered for Usyk’s first fight of 2019, other than strongly suggesting it will mark his heavyweight debut. The 32-year old southpaw has only weighed in significantly above the 200-pound cruiserweight limit just once in his pro career, tipping the scales at 206 pounds in his second pro fight more than five years ago.

While likely not next, Usyk’s name is on the short list of candidates to potentially face unbeaten, unified heavyweight titlist Anthony Joshua in the new year. Among his collection of titles, Usyk has also earned the distinction of being named a Super Champion by the World Boxing Organization (WBO). With such honors, he can demand mandatory contender status in the heavyweight rankings any time he’s ready to pursue that title.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Oleksandr Usyk To Return in Mid-May In U.S. As A Heavyweight

Can't wait, the heavies have been put on notice.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I guess there were no other options.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ortiz or Povetkin .

Usyk's Promoter gives either fight a 70% chance of happening -

In 2018, Usyk signed a co-promotional agreement with Eddie Hearn of Matchroom. Hearn represents several top heavyweights - including Dillian Whyte, Jarrell Miller, Dereck Chisora - and IBF, IBO, WBA, WBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua.
    The lead promoter for Usyk is Alexander Krasyuk of K2 Ukraine.
    “At the present moment, we are negotiating with no one. Usyk and his team are presently having a much needed rest. But I can already tell you that we are experiencing problems finding a suitable opponent”, said Krasyuk stated to the Ukrainian media.
    “[Joseph] Parker and [Jarrell] Miller both refused to fight Alexander. Takam has called Dereck Chisora. [Dillian] Whyte will most probably fight [Anthony] Joshua in April. We have only Alexander Povetkin (34-2, 24 KOs) and Luis Ortiz (30-1, 26 KOs) left amongst the top-notch heavyweights. We have a 70% chance that Oleksandr fights one of them in his first bout as a heavyweight.

"If those options fail, we can have a mandatory defense against Denis Lebedev (32-2, 23 KOs) in March. We’re planning to meet with Eddie Hearn at the end of the next week to talk more about our options”.

https://www.boxingscene.com/promoter...ebedev--135235
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still think that Ortiz is the worst option for Usyk. He is the only HW that is technically close to as good as him. I think Povetkin would be a good showcase fight.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I still think that Ortiz is the worst option for Usyk. He is the only HW that is technically close to as good as him. I think Povetkin would be a good showcase fight.
    Either might be a big ask for his first Heavyweight fight but would be top notch entertainment. I think he is way to quick for Oritz at his age and can keep away until he tires just like he did with Bellew. Povetkin is an entirely different proposition and will be trying to take Usyks head off from the first bell. It could be absolutely mental, a barnstormer of a fight.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Usyk needs an easier first fight at heavyweight than Ortiz and Povetkin. I am thinking Takem.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I Thi k usyk would have quite a fun time v old povetkin, povetkin has slowed down quite a bit over the last few years and despite still being pretty good at this stage of their careers I think the only advantage he has over usyk would be his power.... Good fight for usyk he should take it, if he's not capable of beating 40 year old povetkin he might Aswell just mhjke a load of defences at Cruiserweight.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    I Thi k usyk would have quite a fun time v old povetkin, povetkin has slowed down quite a bit over the last few years and despite still being pretty good at this stage of their careers I think the only advantage he has over usyk would be his power.... Good fight for usyk he should take it, if he's not capable of beating 40 year old povetkin he might Aswell just mhjke a load of defences at Cruiserweight.
    Despite what they’re all saying, I don’t believe Usyk fights Povetkin in his 1st HW fight. If he does , I think he could be in trouble. Povetkin is a match for ANY HW. He proved that when he fought AJ. I don’t think his age matters, it’s more about his mindset.
    Usyk would be better off fighting Takam or Chisora, then a big guy like Price, then we’ll see if he can succeed at HW.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Despite what they’re all saying, I don’t believe Usyk fights Povetkin in his 1st HW fight. If he does , I think he could be in trouble. Povetkin is a match for ANY HW. He proved that when he fought AJ. I don’t think his age matters, it’s more about his mindset.
    Usyk would be better off fighting Takam or Chisora, then a big guy like Price, then we’ll see if he can succeed at HW.
    Povetkin barely beat Marco Huck who was also a cruiserweight and was more of a come forward fighter. I don’t think that Usyk will have much of a problem with him especially at this age. I doubt that Povetkin will even land a clean shot.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    In the thread of who should usyk fight first at heavyweight, I suggested chisroa, to me that makes the most sense. Povetkin has been one of my favourites his whole career, watched a ton of his fights and being 40 certainly does become a factor :S. Povetkin certainly could be a good fight for everyone I just think usyk is tip top and in his prime so 40 year old povetkin wont be much of a match for him.

Thread Information