Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Skype

Has anyone got it and what do you need e.g. web cam, download, is it free to use, easy to work out, is there any issues with the use of it.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Skype

I use it often to talk to people in Germany and India (I'm in the US). For talking to other Skype users it's free and convenient. For talking to real phones it costs money, but in the end I think it's very cheap to get a plan.

You can use a video camera if you like, but I never do.

A headset makes it nicer to communicate. I don't like using it with my laptop's speaker and microphone, but it works fine.

The better your Internet speed, the better it works - especially if you're going to share your screen to the other user. One contact in India has about 1Mbit and it's usually fine for voice, but if we're sharing screens it often has trouble. I connect with somebody else who has 2Mbit and we almost never have problems.

It's pretty easy to download and use for free.

I recommend it!
    -Jimmy

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the above says it all... I have skype on my iphone but unless i'm next to a high speed internet its no good.

skype to skype is free (if I have skype on my computer and you have it on yours we can talk over it with or without a webcam... you will need a mic and preferably a headset with a mic built in

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Having many friends in GErmany and Luxembourg (among others), this is very convenient to continue talking with them. I use the webcam "fairly" often and the micro embeded in the frame of my computer work extremely well, I can be a couple meters away from the computer and if I talk strong enough, they can hear what I am saying. This is really a little jewel and a step toward the next big thing (or at least, one of the models) in communication technologies.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Skype is how me and Danny talk. It's how we have been able to watch fights together all these years. We both have wireless headsets with mics, it's so much nicer to be able to sit on the couch or get up to go to the kitchen without having to worry about having to stay close to the computer.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its fantastic , i can keep in touch with my brother and his kids
    and it costs me sweet F A .

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I will try the Skype then without the webcam at first and see how it goes and may invest in the cam and speakers if it is worth it. I have a local contact and one in India I can test it on.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information