Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default went to another gym

So today I went to another gym that is in my home town. I had it scheduled to spar a guy at 5pm. my coach and his coach said we would make good sparring partners. I get there at around 4:45, get my gear on and wait till about 5:15.And he is still not there. so I start doing there workout which was 30 minutes of jump rope then 5 rounds on the heavy bag, then 3 rounds on the double end bag. by this time im feeling pretty warn out. He shows up at around 6:05, gets warmed up and wants to spar. even though I was royally fatigued, I didnt want them to think I was bitching out so I just went ahead and did it, I dominated the first round but I was completely gassed out. for the next two round I got the shit kicked out of me. Im 6'2 wiegh 195
    he about 6'4 wieghs 235.

should have I sparred? what would've you all done?your thoughts.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: went to another gym

Just sparred one round. Not jumped rope on a day you expected to spar. I'd be willing to bet that his trainer had him show up late for just that reason- so you'd be worn a bit when they got there so his boxer could get over a bit. Tricks like that are pretty common.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

grey is right on this..old trick,pretty common

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is a total bitch move on their part if that is the tactic they used.

It doesn't seem like this experience was in your favor, but in my opinion it was. If they did intentionally have him show up late, that means that the fighter was most likely afraid of you, and that he would arrive late on the chance that you were expelling energy by that point.

You also went up against a fresh opponent WITH MORE WEIGHT, won the first round, and had the courage and heart to stick out the others. That's pretty fuckin' badass if you ask me.

You push yourself like that every time, and meet up against boxers that try and cut corners....your guaranteed savageness.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A lot of boxing people are very shifty, and thus they tend to assume that other people are that way as well. Suppose, for example, that you go into a gym where you are unknown and let it be known that you have a boxer, say 15 years old, been training 6 months, never been in the ring, and you're trying to find him some work. They will automatically assume that you are lying- that your boxer has, in fact, had 35 amateur fights and that you are looking for some one he can smack around to build his confidence, because that is what they would do. So they'll say that they, too, have a young boxer, but in fact he was just a finalist in the regional Jr. Olympic trials...well, these things get silly.
    It is best to deal with people you know, or that are known to the guy that runs the gym you regularly go to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks guys.im pretty beat up today. Im going back next Thursday to spar again and I wont make the same mistake twice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Important thing is that you learned from this and you won't let yourself be set up next time. I would have made the guy do the same workout routine I just did to "level the field" and make it even before we climbed into the ring.

Thread Information