Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Naazim Richardson spots problem with Mayweathers & Alvarez's gloves

Once again Naazim is the man!! He found a problem with Alvarez's gloves and pointed it out to the Nevada commission who unapproved the gloves and said he has to used different gloves. And since Mayweather was using the same gloves, Naazim let team Cotto know, so Mayweather has to get new gloves as well.

Floyd Mayweather, Miguel Cotto exchange words after weigh-in - latimes.com

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I did not read the article yet but I am glad that competent trainers are not quite a dying breed just yet.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Naazim Richardson spots problem with Mayweathers & Alvarez's gloves

I hope Cotto doesn't think this helps him any...
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fair play to Richardson on getting rid of dodgy gloves. You can't fault the man on this kind of thing.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The designers of the gloves should have known better, but good on Richardson for spotting the protruding seam.

Anyone got a pic?
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the bigger issue here and whats going under the radar is that theyve put the underdogs ( Shane and Cotto ) in Everlast 10z gloves. Those are the poorest gloves IMO in terms of trying to knock an opponent out. For either of these guys to stand a chance they needed 8oz reyes gloves but I think this ensures that they dont pose too much of a threat. I can understand if either had hand trouble and wanted the more cumbersome gloves for protection. In 10 oz everlast their "punchers chance" which is pretty much their only chance has decreased alot.

Naz always spots things things and the Cotto camp jumped on the bandwagon again afterwards. Cottos team still havent learned. You would have thought after the Marg fight theyd scrutinize everything but once again it takes Naz to come in & highlight it.
    Last edited by GAME; 05-05-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post
    I think the bigger issue here and whats going under the radar is that theyve put the underdogs ( Shane and Cotto ) in Everlast 10z gloves. Those are the poorest gloves IMO in terms of trying to knock an opponent out. For either of these guys to stand a chance they needed 8oz reyes gloves but I think this ensures that they dont pose too much of a threat. I can understand if either had hand trouble and wanted the more cumbersome gloves for protection. In 10 oz everlast their "punchers chance" which is pretty much their only chance has decreased alot.

Naz always spots things things and the Cotto camp jumped on the bandwagon again afterwards. Cottos team still havent learned. You would have thought after the Marg fight theyd scrutinize everything but once again it takes Naz to come in & highlight it.
    All 4 fighters, as far as I can see from the article, are wearing 10oz gloves. 8 mustn't even be in the offing. Cotto is going to give Mayweather a decent fight I think, 10oz gloves or not. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Rivchardson must have a very sharp eye indeed, good man, knows his rules.
    Last edited by TheMacMagician; 05-05-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheMacMagician View Post

All 4 fighters, as far as I can see from the article, are wearing 10oz gloves. 8 mustn't even be in the offing. Cotto is going to give Mayweather a decent fight I think, 10oz gloves or not. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Rivchardson must have a very sharp eye indeed, good man, knows his rules.
    This is where it mentions the gloves in bold

Mayweather's official purse won't be disclosed to the commission until Thursday, Kizer said.
    Whatever the figure is, Mayweather will earn much more because of his hefty participation
    in the pay-per-view profits.

Cotto, who is defending his junior middleweight title, will earn $8 million,
    according to his Nevada contract. However, he will also earn much more
    because of his upside on the pay-per-view profits.

Also on the card, junior middleweight titlist Saul "Canelo" Alvarez will earn $1.2 million,
    while challenger and former champ Shane Mosley will receive $650,000.

Welterweight prospect Jessie Vargas' purse is $125,000,
    while his last-minute opponent, Steve Forbes, will get $40,000.

In the opening PPV fight, junior middleweight Deandre Latimore will make $55,000.
    His opponent, former welterweight titlist Carlos Quintana, will make $23,000.

Also, according the Nevada commission, Mayweather and Alvarez
    will wear 10-ounce Grant gloves for their bouts, while Cotto and Mosley
    will wear 10-ounce Everlasts. All fights in Nevada above 147 pounds require 10-ounce gloves.

Ive just watched Coto vs Shane and they struggled to hurt in each other in 8oz reyes so they will both struggle to have an impact in 10oz everlast tonight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now if Richardson could do something as amazing with mosley's gloves he'd be good . Cool story di ! Half of me will root for your boy tonight for ya seeing Floyd loose to cotto and pac to bradley would actually be a nice change

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not sure where Naazin ranks as a matter of "top trainers" but one thing for sure: The man has the very best eyes in the business.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    I am not sure where Naazin ranks as a matter of "top trainers" but one thing for sure: The man has the very best eyes in the business.

350px-Nazim_Richardson.jpgyoda.jpg

i'd expect nothing less from yoda.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cotto actually picked the 10 oz gloves

Thread Information