Thread: What we REALLY need is a couple more outrageous, ridiculous decisions

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What we REALLY need is a couple more outrageous, ridiculous decisions

I just posted on another thread, but I'm thinking now this may not be a bad thing after all. Boxing has always been plagued by lousy decisions, but more so than normal, lately. And yet... we piss and moan for about a week, and it's on to the next fight. All is forgotten. And it's not just us... it's the press and the general public. Boxing authorities feel that, because boxing is such an ancient and traditional sport, that we boxing fans will forgive any shit they throw our way, no matter how outlandish and ridiculous. And they're right.

Maybe what we need are a few more of last night's decisions. Not that we can force the issue. These are still random, uncontrolled events. But I for one am starting to wish (in a sick, twisted way..... it's boxing's fault) that we get two or three more incredible robberies. I'm thinking if it gets SO BAD, as to force the attention of the general public, and even those on the fringes of the sport..... meaningful changes will have to be made.

It's a little like when your patio furniture is pretty banged up and rusted, but not enough to replace. So you keep on fixing and patching it, and hoping for the best. It's not until a gale-force wind comes through and beats the furniture all to shit, that you finally decide: "You know... maybe I should just go and buy new furniture."

Shitty example, but you get the drift. Something needs to be done..... and that something needs to be done NOW.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What we REALLY need is a couple more outrageous, ridiculous decisions

You act like it is the first unpopular decision or that it is just a recent run. It has been going on since giant T Rex dinosaurs were swinging away and unable to hit one another and thus boxing was scored on clashing heads and the number of times one could swing a pair of tiny arms through the air. Stegosaurus would be watching the heads. Velociraptor would be watching the arms and big old Brontosaurus would be in the distance munching on an assortment of vegetation types.

The big old T-Rex types would fall in a heap and await the decision with curious interest. All too often one of them would get the hump and skulk off sulking because he felt hard done by. "Why wasn't that sodding Brontosaurus looking more closely?" was a common argument. "I was waving my arms like a bastard. Not that old steggy would ever notice" was another common retort.

Boxing and unpopular decisions are as old as time. I do not expect they will vanish in a hurry.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What we REALLY need is a couple more outrageous, ridiculous decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    You act like it is the first unpopular decision or that it is just a recent run. It has been going on since giant T Rex dinosaurs were swinging away and unable to hit one another and thus boxing was scored on clashing heads and the number of times one could swing a pair of tiny arms through the air. Stegosaurus would be watching the heads. Velociraptor would be watching the arms and big old Brontosaurus would be in the distance munching on an assortment of vegetation types.

The big old T-Rex types would fall in a heap and await the decision with curious interest. All too often one of them would get the hump and skulk off sulking because he felt hard done by. "Why wasn't that sodding Brontosaurus looking more closely?" was a common argument. "I was waving my arms like a bastard. Not that old steggy would ever notice" was another common retort.

Boxing and unpopular decisions are as old as time. I do not expect they will vanish in a hurry.

Classic, bro......... I must admit. Only a warped mind such as yours can come up with such a spectacular analogy. Steven Spielberg is probably attempting to contact you with a new movie idea, as we speak.

That being said, I stand by my post. They (shitty, controversial decisions) have gathered some steam lately, and have gained a lot more visibility..... and I've been a fan of boxing for a long time, so I'm not just speculating here. You may think everything is alright in "Boxing Land", but I beg to differ. That's the kind of laid back attitude that will allow the shitty decisions to keep turning people away from our wonderful sport.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bad decisions are a part of the sport. boxing isn't like baseball, or whatever other jackass games there are, because it cannot be statistically analyzed or resolved through use of instant replay. It happens to fast and means to much. And the beauty of it is, you can always win; down by 12 in the last round, you can hit the 13 run homer. Ask randall Bailey.
    And you can always go out there and take the decision away from the judges.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    bad decisions are a part of the sport. boxing isn't like baseball, or whatever other jackass games there are, because it cannot be statistically analyzed or resolved through use of instant replay. It happens to fast and means to much. And the beauty of it is, you can always win; down by 12 in the last round, you can hit the 13 run homer. Ask randall Bailey.
    And you can always go out there and take the decision away from the judges.

I'm sorry..... but I've seen this time and time again. It's this complacent attitude that will forever prevent any real efforts to try and fix the problem. Saying "bad decisions are part of the sport" doesn't take away the bad taste in the mouths of most observers who were once again disgusted with the judging of a fight. Particularly a major fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not sure we need too much more bad decisions, this was a real eye-opener.
    Especially since it happened to Pacquiao this time around.
    I think just about everyone not signed with Top Rank has had it with Bob "I'M going to make a lot of money on the rematch" Arum, besides Pacquiao of course lol.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post

Love the analogy.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Thread Information