Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Domestic, New York, US or Action?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Should Witter Fight Next?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who Should Witter Fight Next?

On the back of his excellent win last week - and also with one eye on a potential Hatton fight one day - who should Junior Witter fight next?

I've included British fighters as well as Lightweights and Welterweights in this...

I also shoved in guys that may not deserve a shot but would be an excellent gauge against his peers (Holt, Collazo, Urango etc).

I know that this poll is low down on most peoples list but I'm interested to see how people think.

Personally, I think he should fight Urango asap to try to improve on the Hatton result. If not that then Judah as Zab is a big big name who ran PBF fairly close...

Avoid Malignaggi as that would kill both fighters from any future TV slots...

YOU HAVE FIVE VOTES EACH SO FEEL FREE TO GO FOR IT WITH MORE THAN ONE FIGHTER - ALTHOUGH I'D RATHER YOU ONLY CLICK EACH PERSON ONCE.
    I'm never drinking again (I am a liar)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who Should Witter Fight Next?

Well I voted for Rees and Torres. Not because I particularly want to see either fight but they both represent easy title pickups for Witter and being a double world champ is the kind of bartering power Witter needs.

A fight with Rees would probably be the easiest to organise seeing as they are both UK based fighters.

I doubt Torres would travel to the UK and no way in hell would or should Witter travel to Columbia or Puerto Rico to fight him.

Ironically it may be someone like M'Baye who gets the next fight.

Witter won't likely fight a big name in his next fight so soon after his fight with Harris.

If I were Witters manager I'd be gunning for that belt that little Gavin Rees has.

Being a double world champ would ensure that Witter got some big paydays in future and to be honest Rees would be like fighting a club fighter really.,

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was actually surprised to see people voting for fighters other than Malinaggi. I think a witter Malignaggi fight could be more exciting than expected and it would also prove as an eliminator to fight Hatton.

I love Rick, hate Junior but at this point in time i feel he's achieved enough and Nearly earned a shot at Hatton.

I disagree that the Malignaggi fight would kill both i really do.
    But great posting as always taansend i owe ya a CC, ya legend!

Rees wouldn come within a mile of Wiitter me thinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Well I voted for Rees and Torres. Not because I particularly want to see either fight but they both represent easy title pickups for Witter and being a double world champ is the kind of bartering power Witter needs.

A fight with Rees would probably be the easiest to organise seeing as they are both UK based fighters.

I doubt Torres would travel to the UK and no way in hell would or should Witter travel to Columbia or Puerto Rico to fight him.

Witter won't likely fight a big name in his next fight so soon after his fight with Harris.

If I were Witters manager I'd be gunning for that belt that little Gavin Rees has.

Being a double world champ would ensure that Witter got some big paydays in future and to be honest Rees would be like fighting a club fighter really.,
    Thanks for the quick reply mate. Witter v Torres is an ideal fight for Miami. There's 500,000 Brits there and 50,000 Colombians and another 1,500,000 South & Central Americans - in addition to the 200,000 Noo Yoikers that spend their winters down here - who love boxing....

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've gone for Katsisdis, simply becuase Ktsisdis will 'bring it' and make Witter fight for 3 minutes of every round and I wanna see how he responds.

Rees, would be a nice little fight to get an almost certain extra title under his belt
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What is Demetrius Hopkins doin at the moment? I haven't heard anything about him in a while and i would have thought he'd have picked up an alphabet strap by now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    Was actually surprised to see people voting for fighters other than Malinaggi. I think a witter Malignaggi fight could be more exciting than expected and it would also prove as an eliminator to fight Hatton.

I love Rick, hate Junior but at this point in time i feel he's achieved enough and Nearly earned a shot at Hatton.

Donny

You never know. I just think that Witter and Malignaggi would spend half the fight looking at each other. Witter has skills but needs someone coming at him. A Malignaggi fight might be ok if they're both established but at present they both have a rep as defensive/cautious fighters and that doesn't sell in the mighty US market.

Witter has 2/3 years left so needs to fight exciting fights NOW! He needs to fight 3 or 4 times in the next 12 months and look good in each one otherwise people (IE media) will just bring up the Judah fight again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Witter should go for a unification fight with Torres next or a defence with Lazcano. There also possible matches with Magganalli and Herman N'goudjo. So he has a few options but Hatton is way off his radar.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by taansend

Donny

You never know. I just think that Witter and Malignaggi would spend half the fight looking at each other. Witter has skills but needs someone coming at him. A Malignaggi fight might be ok if they're both established but at present they both have a rep as defensive/cautious fighters and that doesn't sell in the mighty US market.

Witter has 2/3 years left so needs to fight exciting fights NOW! He needs to fight 3 or 4 times in the next 12 months and look good in each one otherwise people (IE media) will just bring up the Judah fight again.
    I reckon he might have a bit more than 2-3 left, he's not a fighter who takes a great deal of punishment so his longevity may not have been hurt as much as most fighters. One things for sure another loss would cement the "Judah Theory," and thoroughly ruin his career. Malignaggi is capable of attcaking tho, as displayed in the Cotto fight, although i would give Junior the dge in power so it is quite possible ud be right about a bore fest there.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khan?

I bet he'd love it.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with a fight with Malignaggi is the most attractive but we are talking about his very next fight here and he doesn't want to jump from a tough fight with Harris to fighting the number 2 in the division in the next fight.

A fight with Rees would be easier to organise and once Witter had two belts around his waist his marketability would imrpove enormously.

Fight Malignaggi now and Paulie gets the lions share, fight him as a double world champ and Witter has way more earnings potential.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't totally agree with this. Yes, Rees would be an easy title pickup. His inexperience, height and reach disadvantages would make life easy for Witter and I think he'd be able to outbox Rees to a cuts/swelling stoppage around the 6th or 7th. This isn't a challenge for Witter, and would do very little to enhance him, even over here.

Torres is why I don't agree with the post. Awkward all action fighter that can bang and spring a KO when his back is against the wall. I don't think this would be easy for Witter. Torres is also beginning to establish himself as a champion and has held his own with quality opposition, so this is the fight I would like to see most.

Malignaggi or Judah represent the most money for him. Going in with Paulie is a risk, especially a fight in New York, because if it's close, it'll likely go to Paulie on the cards.

I think a fight with Judah would be the most lucrative. He's a big name, can get on HBO in the blink of an eye and is Witter's only loss which he would therefore be able to avenge. Judah could do with a WBC title to give his flagging career a much needed boost and I don't doubt he could make 140. Above all else, Judah would be the biggest name available to him and would be the biggest scalp on his record.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with a fight with Malignaggi is the most attractive but we are talking about his very next fight here and he doesn't want to jump from a tough fight with Harris to fighting the number 2 in the division in the next fight.

A fight with Rees would be easier to organise and once Witter had two belts around his waist his marketability would imrpove enormously.

Fight Malignaggi now and Paulie gets the lions share, fight him as a double world champ and Witter has way more earnings potential.
    True enough, but a fight with Rees may damage his credibility, i mean the Americans aren't gonna rate Rees now are they? Although finacially a good point.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

True enough, but a fight with Rees may damage his credibility, i mean the Americans aren't gonna rate Rees now are they? Although finacially a good point.
    Witter's opponent before Harris was Arturo Mura and the before Corely he fought Colin Lynes. Rees is on the same kind of level with the advantage of having a belt. Witter is an extremely unmarketable fighter and nobody really wants to fight him. If he had two belts it would mean the best fighters would pretty much have to fight him, and as a double world champ he couls command the best pay deal as well.

If he fights Malignaggi, Judah, Hatton, Torres etc now they would all make more money than him. With another belt he'd probably make more than all of them except Hatton.

Plus there's also the fact that Gavin Rees as a world champion is an embarrasment for any UK resident outside of Wales. He's a joke. I'd much rather Witter held that belt.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Witter's opponent before Harris was Arturo Mura and the before Corely he fought Colin Lynes. Rees is on the same kind of level with the advantage of having a belt. Witter is an extremely unmarketable fighter and nobody really wants to fight him. If he had two belts it would mean the best fighters would pretty much have to fight him, and as a double world champ he couls command the best pay deal as well.

If he fights Malignaggi, Judah, Hatton, Torres etc now they would all make more money than him. With another belt he'd probably make more than all of them except Hatton.

Plus there's also the fact that Gavin Rees as a world champion is an embarrasment for any UK resident outside of Wales. He's a joke. I'd much rather Witter held that belt.
    Agreein mostly again Bilbo, but i still feel that Witters next opponent must be a foil who carries a repuatation.
    My logic is this: Rees is beaten by Witter, Witter wins belt but is seen to be taking easy opponents, improving his own status on paper but not exactly endearing himself to the fans. Witter fights Malignaggi, picks up a title and a meaningful name, and people take far more notice alongside the added strap.
    Rees will be beaten soon enough anyway.

Thread Information