Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Trying to copy other boxers

The hardest student to train is one who has watched all the Rocky movies, or is trying to copy the boxing style of a famous champion.
    It's fine to have tips from watching others, but some of the great champions fought in a style that was natural to them. Their mindset, reflexes, intuition, whatever can never be fully known . So it takes weeks, sometimes months to undo what can't be duplicated.
    Reminds me of an old Zen story where the student asked the master how he could learn enlightenment. The master placed a cup before the student and began pouring tea. He continued pouring as the cup filled up and over flowed onto the table and student. the master then explained to the student "like this cup, your mind is filled with your own thoughts and opinion, and as a result there is no room to learn. If you truly wish to find enlightenment, you must first empty your cup".

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Trying to copy other boxers

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lion View Post
    The hardest student to train is one who has watched all the Rocky movies, or is trying to copy the boxing style of a famous champion.
    It's fine to have tips from watching others, but some of the great champions fought in a style that was natural to them. Their mindset, reflexes, intuition, whatever can never be fully known . So it takes weeks, sometimes months to undo what can't be duplicated.
    Reminds me of an old Zen story where the student asked the master how he could learn enlightenment. The master placed a cup before the student and began pouring tea. He continued pouring as the cup filled up and over flowed onto the table and student. the master then explained to the student "like this cup, your mind is filled with your own thoughts and opinion, and as a result there is no room to learn. If you truly wish to find enlightenment, you must first empty your cup".
    Brilliant Post, great insight
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lion View Post
    Like it is said: anyone who makes his way to a master and asks him how to master Zen, needs to be cracked on the head with a stick.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Someone once posted on here (and I believe it may have been you, Andre) that it's best to learn the basics of boxing at first, then when you get much better, you get away from the basics and fight in a style that fits you best.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Someone once posted on here (and I believe it may have been you, Andre) that it's best to learn the basics of boxing at first, then when you get much better, you get away from the basics and fight in a style that fits you best.
    Sorry havent been in here for while,yeah sounds like my way of thinking,but more your style suited to your natural abilities not coping another guy like a mirror.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This doesn't bother me much. Honestly I like it because it shows me that the guy is thinking about thinking, if that makes sense. In my mind the physical aspect of boxing is always only basics. The most "advanced" moves are three basic ones strung together. So l am always going to be focused there.
    If the guy comes to me wanting to fight like Floyd I have context. I can improve his basics as related to that style; I can show him ways of doing those things in a sound manner. And I have a framework to build from as I teach him to think.

Thread Information