Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Got Rocked....

So I took my first really good shot tonight. Left the jab out there, and took the right uppercut straight on the chin. Sent me down to one knee. The kid had 30 pounds on me, taller, state golden gloves champ..... Which brings up a question.... Should I be sparring people bigger and heavier than me, or should I stick to people in my weight class?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Got Rocked....

it's good to go with guys better than you so you learn, and perhaps heavier, bigger and stronger is ok too as long as there's the mutual agreement beforehand. i hear of these stories and just think what a prick. the guys that run the gym should match you up accordingly. for example, if I was going with a kid smaller and not as experienced, I would work OFF him. Go as hard as he wants to. It's also an opportunity for me to do things that I wouldn't try on a bigger and better guy, like more just shelling up and taking it on the ropes to hone those skills. It sounds like the guy was working against you and not with you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The kid i was sparring is pretty understanding that I am new to the game. He goes relatively easy on me. I think me getting dropped was more a factor of me never being hit that hard before, the shot being directly on the chin, and being a little suprised when it happened. I think I coulda kept my feet under me if I had my wits about me. Not to say it wasnt a hard shot (Heard that crunching sound in my jaw, anyone else get that?) but I think he just saw me making a big mistake and decided to teach me a little lesson =). Needless to say, I'll never let my jab hang out there again.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Von a brilliant reply cc
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by MDS8405
    The kid i was sparring is pretty understanding that I am new to the game. He goes relatively easy on me. I think me getting dropped was more a factor of me never being hit that hard before, the shot being directly on the chin, and being a little suprised when it happened. I think I coulda kept my feet under me if I had my wits about me. Not to say it wasnt a hard shot (Heard that crunching sound in my jaw, anyone else get that?) but I think he just saw me making a big mistake and decided to teach me a little lesson =). Needless to say, I'll never let my jab hang out there again.
    there you go, chalk it up as a learning experiance. Cool click.

as long as your learning something , then you sparring with the right guy !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by MDS8405
    learning the hard way really sinks it in. that's one bonus of it. But if I happen to get a guy a little "too good" with a shot I immediately ask "you ok?" even if the guy is bigger and better. the purpose is to help each other learn and hone skills, not dominate a guy.

cc back scrap. reckon i owe ya one by now!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed - while sparring, it is the better fighter who is the servant of the weaker one.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information