Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Surprising Saturday

Carl Froch's win. Actually Carl Froch's ass whipping of Lucian Bute revealed 2 surprising facts. I never considered Bute to have an iron chin. But I at least thought he had one. He doesn't. His speed and reflexes have gotten him by. He had been hurt twice going into the Froch. The Andrade one was blamed on exhaustion. The other one against Sakio Bika has been pretty much ignored. It shouldn't of been.

The other surprising fact is I had no idea the gap between Andre Ward and the rest of the Super Middleweights was that big. It is fucking huge. I don't see anybody in the division who can at least make it competitive against Ward. Let alone beat him. Froch can make all the excuses that he wasn't "firing on all cylinders". Kessler can blame the officials. Doesn't really matter. The outcome wouldn't be any different.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Surprising Saturday

Talking about Bute's short comings.
    Textbook.

I agree about Ward, his ugly and adaptable style will give anybody trouble... Including his promoters. I think he will end up a side show in the division he owns... He's just not very watchable.

Good thing the division does have guys like Froch and Kessler, or else the super middles would have a void of talent and be getting dominated by one ugly to watch fighter like a mini heavyweight division

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Carl Froch's win. Actually Carl Froch's ass whipping of Lucian Bute revealed 2 surprising facts. I never considered Bute to have an iron chin. But I at least thought he had one. He doesn't. His speed and reflexes have gotten him by. He had been hurt twice going into the Froch. The Andrade one was blamed on exhaustion. The other one against Sakio Bika has been pretty much ignored. It shouldn't of been.

The other surprising fact is I had no idea the gap between Andre Ward and the rest of the Super Middleweights was that big. It is fucking huge. I don't see anybody in the division who can at least make it competitive against Ward. Let alone beat him. Froch can make all the excuses that he wasn't "firing on all cylinders". Kessler can blame the officials. Doesn't really matter. The outcome wouldn't be any different.
    I'd say he has a pretty fucking iron chin, he took about 50 shots clean on the button and never went down - but I'm sure that's becuase Froch is feather fisted
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Talking about Bute's short comings.
    Textbook.

I agree about Ward, his ugly and adaptable style will give anybody trouble... Including his promoters. I think he will end up a side show in the division he owns... He's just not very watchable.

Good thing the division does have guys like Froch and Kessler, or else the super middles would have a void of talent and be getting dominated by one ugly to watch fighter like a mini heavyweight division
    Must be why fights in Oakland as much as he does. As no problem selling out there.

Froch and Kessler are good action fighters. But there not the divisions best. Why you think Kessler has mover to Light Heavyweight even though he has no problem making 168? He knows he'll never beat Ward

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

I'd say he has a pretty fucking iron chin, he took about 50 shots clean on the button and never went down - but I'm sure that's becuase Froch is feather fisted
    Yeah because staggering and stumbling every time you take a solid shot are indeed characteristics of an iron chin.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't say he had a glass jaw either. They looked and SOUNDED like heavy shots, physically he didn't take them badly, mentally he didn't know how to respond.

How good you think Bute's chin is comes down to how much credit you are willing to give Froch I guess.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No surprises IMO, Froch stepped up and proved hes a world level fighter thats it. Ward fair enough is number one, what he needs to do know is beat Dawson and show how really goood he is. If he really is the SOG he will handle Dawson easily and then give Froch or Kessler another go at him. Maybe at this point the SOG will go overseas and take a risk for once like Bute, Froch and Kessler have done before. The defending champion defending his crown on foriegn soil, if he does that then maybe he is the SOG.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't say he had a glass jaw either. They looked and SOUNDED like heavy shots, physically he didn't take them badly, mentally he didn't know how to respond.

How good you think Bute's chin is comes down to how much credit you are willing to give Froch I guess.

Exactly this. He was getting clocked by some very heavy shots early on, at the very least he has some recouperative powers. The problem was that he had no clue how to adapt to the pressure. He still had his legs and wits about him until the very end, he just wasn't able to establish any kind of rythym which he needs badly to be effective. I do feel his chin would have always been a pitfall at this level, but that's more due to the way he fights. Bute is a dynamic puncher with some real tools, he looked like a beast against opponents who would stay on the outside and let him work. My take is that he just isn't terribly smart and can't really defend himself on the inside, but I highly doubt any fighter around the weight would have made this more evident than Froch did.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post

Exactly this. He was getting clocked by some very heavy shots early on, at the very least he has some recouperative powers. The problem was that he had no clue how to adapt to the pressure. He still had his legs and wits about him until the very end, he just wasn't able to establish any kind of rythym which he needs badly to be effective. I do feel his chin would have always been a pitfall at this level, but that's more due to the way he fights. Bute is a dynamic puncher with some real tools, he looked like a beast against opponents who would stay on the outside and let him work. My take is that he just isn't terribly smart and can't really defend himself on the inside, but I highly doubt any fighter around the weight would have made this more evident than Froch did.
    While ward may be the best at the weight kessler is the only other dude that could have done anything remotely similar, ward woulda been 12 rounds....

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post

While ward may be the best at the weight kessler is the only other dude that could have done anything remotely similar, ward woulda been 12 rounds....
    I highly doubt Bute would make it 12 rounds with Ward, that's a god awful matchup for him just like Froch was imo. I'd imagine Kessler would have been a bit more of a fight as neither guy does anything much in close, but still doubt Bute would see the final bell if Kessler was on form. Absolutely agree that noone would've taken him out like Froch did though, monster performance.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never been so wrong about a fight before. I thought at the least Bute would outbox Froch in spots. He didn't do anything. I'm not even sure he showed up to the fight. I was shocked. It was a more intense one-sided beat down of a top fighter, as I've seen since Hopkins beat up Pavlik or Calzaghe beat up Lacy. Holy crap.

Thread Information