Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default NBA playoffs, anyone??

Probably not a big NBA fanbase here, and frankly... basketball's not my favorite sport. But I do get somewhat interested when the playoffs come around. I don't have a favorite team, per say. I do have teams I would not like to see win, such as the Miami Heat. Nothing in particular to dislike... other than the amount of hype they keep heaping on Lebron James.

Not that he doesn't deserve all types of praise. Hey, if I was 6'-8" and well over 250 pounds, with all that God-given natural athleticism and agility... I'd probably be dominating the NBA as well. He would be an under-achiever if he didn't dominate. And it's not like I dislike him the way I used to utterly dislike Shaquille O'Neal. Now THERE was a freak of nature who only had an NBA career due to his penchant for using his huge ass to bump people out of the way before yet another boring-as-hell dunk.

But back to Lebron. I just get tired of hearing the same phrase over and over again.... "the next Michael Jordan". When will these people ever learn... we will probably not see another Michael Jordan, at least in this generation. The press is so quick to anoint someone as the next Michael Jordan... they fall all over themselves in the process. They've done the same thing to Kobe Bryant. And they'll do the same thing with Derrick Rose and Kevin Durant.

No argument... these are all established or up-and-coming superstars. But the next Michael Jordan? C'mon, give me a break. Jordan wasn't just a great basketball player. He was a great CLUTCH player. A player you could count on in the last second of the game to pull victory from the jaws of defeat. How many playoff games did Jordan win with a last minute jumper? How many times did Jordan put the team on his back and carried them when they needed it the most? Jordan was also a great leader. He made his teammates better. His Bulls won six NBA championships. Lebron is still looking for that first ring.

Nothing against these other guys, but they all have a LONG way to go before they should be mentioned in the same breath as Jordan. It's normal for the young generation who didn't see much of Jordan to want to compare him with Kobe and Lebron. But there's not much to compare at this point. Kobe has the potential... but he lacks the consistency. AND he lacks the leadership skills. He's also known to fold in the clutch on occasion. Not all the time, mind you, but enough to discredit any comparisons to Michael Jordan.

So who do I want to win this year's championship? I don't have a clear favorite, although I'd like a fresh new team to win, such as the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: NBA playoffs, anyone??

The Miami Heat do not have a true leader on the team. Also unable to take any criticism for all the expectations (which they puzzlingly put on themselves). A very classless group. If justice is found anywhere, they will not beat the Pacers out of this round.

The Lakers are done. The Celtics and Spurs are fun for the toughness.

The Pacers are a solid, very large team.

I would really like to see OKC win as well! Durant loves the game of basketball and is fun to watch. Durant will continue to garner fan support and love because he is simply a better person and almost as good of a basketball player than Lebron.
    Last edited by boozeboxer; 05-21-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: I put when instead of win........ dough!
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree about the Heat..... classless. I'm rooting for the Pacers as well. Although they have to watch out, if the Heat want to make it into a street fight. They might try to unnerve the Pacers. I hope they don't fall for it. If the Heat falls to the Pacers, there will be finger-pointing all around.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, the Lakers were bounced out of the playoffs. Time's running out on Kobe to get another ring. For some reason, I don't see them getting any better next year. Tonight's the other big game... Pacers-Heat at Miami. Go-o-o-o-o Pacers!!!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess no one else is watching basketball. Well... the Pacers were blown out by the Miami Thugs......er..... I mean... Heat. Geeeez man! What kind of backalley, 'hood street ball were these guys playing. There were flagrant fouls and elbows flying everywhere. The Pacers were outplayed and outfought. But I dislike the Heat more than ever. If the Pacers can't take them, either the Celtics or the Spurs will.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Though it.s not the sport that I follow the most, I always have been a Celtics fan. I think that it might be the last year where they have a shot at the title in a long time, good team but getting old and the "renewing cycle" is knocking at their door.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was rooting for Dallas but now that they are out I'd like to see the winner of the Spurs and Thunder take it.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Though it.s not the sport that I follow the most, I always have been a Celtics fan. I think that it might be the last year where they have a shot at the title in a long time, good team but getting old and the "renewing cycle" is knocking at their door.

I like the Celtics too. Not too fond of Kevin Garnett, but I've always liked their team mentality.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Got to be honest straight off the bat and say that as a kid MJ made me a bulls fan (and a basketball fan full-stop) and after he left, having never been a fan of the game in its essence, I lost interest, but I will tune in from time to time if there's a potentially good game on (my favourite player post-Jordan was AI, the guy just defied all odds in becoming one of the all-time great point scorers (you talk about Lebron and Shaq's physical gifts - this guy was barely 6ft ffs, ludicrous), he also had some of the MJ swagger, and he dragged his team to the playoffs season after season, tragedy he never got a ring - he deserved one if anyone ever has, imo) and I've been following the play-offs this year, though the time difference is a bitch.

Anyway since following the Bulls back in MJ's heyday I've always had a soft spot for them, and one of my close friends is a native of Chicago, so I actually managed to make a game once when visiting - unfortunately Michael had already moved on at that point. But now that Derrick Rose has come along the Bulls look like title contenders again, and it was a real shame Rose was injured so much this season because he has quickly established himself as a great leader for that Bulls team, and they may well have been the team in the East to step up and beat Miami - there's always next year I suppose. Kobe has always got on my nerves, and I find it difficult to like Lebron, but perhaps that hasn't always been his fault, what with media coverage being so invasive these days. In anycase when compared to these two, the likes of Rose and Durant just seem so grounded, and yet no less dedicated or talented. Rose is also a bit on the 'short' (sounds ridiculous I know) side for an NBA player, being 3 inches smaller than Kobe and a good 5 inches shorter than Lebron, but he is so explosive going to the rim, and every year you can see he is working so hard behind closed doors to improve his all-round game. He's also becoming pretty clutch, imo. I don't think anyone will ever fill MJ's shoes tbh, the guy was very nearly the perfect basketball player, a one-off, he could, and would, do anything and everything necessary to win, and even at age 40 playing for a mediocre side he managed over 40 points in a game.

But back to the subject of this year's playoffs. The Heat have to be the most annoying team in the league, but I'm convinced San Antonio are gonna take it all; they looked good before the series with OKC began, but after utterly dismantling them with two ridiculous offensive performances I can't see anyone beating them, unless they suddenly collapse in the finals, or D-wade and Lebron toggle God-mode (for the record I preferred the Heat with D-wade as their leader, and think his performances have always been mesmerizing in a way that Lebron's never seem to be, although Lebron is statistically a better all-rounder).

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good post, SRR. I agree with you on a lot of your points. At this stage, it looks like it's gonna be the Heat vs. the Spurs in the Finals. Both of them are 2-0 up on their opponents. I felt bad for the Celtics, who gave it their complete ALL in last night's OT loss. Rondo was just INSANE, playing all minutes of the OT loss and scoring 44 points. He definitely can't be blamed. I thought the Celts got the raw end of some sloppy officiating, like the "no-call" when Rondo got smacked in the face by Wade while driving to the basket in the crucial final minutes. Also, I thought Wade could've just as well been called on that drive where he basically kicked Garnett while getting fouled himself. While I admire the run that Wade and Lebron have been on... I'm getting to dislike them more and more. So if in fact they meet the Spurs in the Finals, I hope they get their asses kicked. I'm not sure the Celtics are finished... but in my mind they'd have to sweep the games in Boston to have any chance. On the other side, I like the Thunder as a team, but I also think they're basically finished. In any case, I'll be rooting AGAINST the Heat no matter who they play.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Good post, SRR. I agree with you on a lot of your points. At this stage, it looks like it's gonna be the Heat vs. the Spurs in the Finals. Both of them are 2-0 up on their opponents. I felt bad for the Celtics, who gave it their complete ALL in last night's OT loss. Rondo was just INSANE, playing all minutes of the OT loss and scoring 44 points. He definitely can't be blamed. I thought the Celts got the raw end of some sloppy officiating, like the "no-call" when Rondo got smacked in the face by Wade while driving to the basket in the crucial final minutes. Also, I thought Wade could've just as well been called on that drive where he basically kicked Garnett while getting fouled himself. While I admire the run that Wade and Lebron have been on... I'm getting to dislike them more and more. So if in fact they meet the Spurs in the Finals, I hope they get their asses kicked. I'm not sure the Celtics are finished... but in my mind they'd have to sweep the games in Boston to have any chance. On the other side, I like the Thunder as a team, but I also think they're basically finished. In any case, I'll be rooting AGAINST the Heat no matter who they play.
    Rondo absolutely exploded last night - not just the 44 points but very nearly a triple double, he was on fire. You're right about the dodgy officiating - it started with that odd technical for Doc Rivers in the first game, and since then it's only gotten worse if anything. I can't help but feel if Ray Allen were hitting his shots the Celtics would be a real force, and would really push Miami to their limits/possibly beat them, but at the moment even with PP and KG chipping in and Rondo on beast mode they still managed to lose, and that was with LeChoke missing all kinds of shots and two free throws in the 4th. Tbh the Spurs just look untouchable at the moment, OKC have played very well against them but the Spurs always just had more in the tank when they needed it, they are such a great unit and always seem to have 2/3 players on the court who can change the game and step up when the game is on the line. They are overall the strongest team left in then playoffs, and the most clutch, too. Can't see Miami beating them at the moment, but if (and it's a big if) Bosh manages to get fit for the finals then things might change, but I would still imagine the Spurs would use their experience to edge Miami out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don Camillo Devils.

lmfao

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Damn! What a horrible beating the Thunder handed the Spurs last night. It was downright embarassing. This type of loss can turn a series around. Don't count out the Thunder just yet.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thunder kicked Spurs ass last night at home after going 0-2 at San Antonio....... Celtics kicking some Heat ass tonight at home after going 0-2 in Miami. Home court advantage at its best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Damn! What a horrible beating the Thunder handed the Spurs last night. It was downright embarassing. This type of loss can turn a series around. Don't count out the Thunder just yet.

An absolutely incredible defensive performance from the Thunder, was really happy to see them get back into the series, and the same goes (even moreso tbh ) for the Celtics. I really hope the Celtics can turn it around and dump the Heat out, don't really mind who wins in the West, would kind of like to see the old lions get one last championship, but on the other hand the Thunder have been great this season and it would be nice to see them overhaul the odds and come back to beat the Spurs, though I think tbh the Spurs will bounce back from this defeat and close out the series in 6.

Thread Information