Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Stan Lee: Marvel Comics co-creator dies aged 95

My hero has died.

American writer and former president of Marvel Comics Stan Lee has died at the age of 95.

In 1961, Lee and Jack Kirby created The Fantastic Four for Marvel Comics and went on to create titles including Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk.

Lee's wife, Joan, died in 2017 - also aged 95 - but he is survived by his daughter, JC Lee.

Speaking to celebrity news website TMZ, JC said her father was "the greatest, most decent man".

The legendary comic book author died at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles on Monday after a medical emergency, according to Variety magazine.

In recent years, Lee had periodically suffered from illnesses, including a bout of pneumonia, US media reported.

Bob Iger, chairman of the Walt Disney Company, which bought Marvel Comics for $4bn (£2.5bn) in 2009, called Lee "a super hero in his own right" in a statement.

"The scale of his imagination was only exceeded by the size of his heart."

Lee was known for making a cameo in every Marvel film, though he had left the Marvel company in 1972. He remained chairman emeritus.

The Marvel superheroes Lee had a hand in creating, including Iron Man and Captain America, have resulted in some of Hollywood's highest grossing films, with the latest Marvel film, Infinity War, earning over $1.5bn (£1.1bn).

On Sunday, Veteran's Day, his official Facebook page shared a photograph of Lee in the Army, noting his nickname during World War Two was Playwright.

Lee was born in 1922 to working-class Jewish immigrants from Romania.

He began working at the comics section of Timely Publications - a company that would eventually transform into Marvel Comics - and became comics editor there at age 18.

But for years Lee wrote only simple comics focusing on crime stories, horrors and westerns aimed at young readers.

At age 40, Lee decided to give up on comics. But his wife Joan urged him to create the characters he always wanted to write as his comic swansong.

And in 1961, Lee and artist Jack Kirby created the Fantastic Four - compelling characters with individual personalities and relatable problems.

Timely Publications was renamed Marvel and the golden age of comic books had begun.

Many Marvel characters were groundbreaking at the time. For example, Black Panther was one of the first black superheroes featured in a mainstream US comic.

Lee was also known for giving artists their due credit. Kirby, Frank Miller, John Romitaand and others achieved cult status in their own right.

In its heyday, Marvel sold 50 million copies a year. Until he retired from editing in 1971, Lee wrote all the copy for Marvel's covers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46186552
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Stan Lee: Marvel Comics co-creator dies aged 95

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They'll just reboot him in an alternate universe

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was truly a legend. In any discussion of Marvel vs DC, it was always Stan Lee's name that came up as the difference. R.I.P. Stan.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

RIP to a legend.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I liked Thor when I was a kid. This is the first one I ever bought:

I especially liked Tales of Asgard, I remember reading this compilation several times:

Comics went downhill after 1970 or so, or did I just become too grown-up to appreciate them? When other writers like Roy Thomas replaced Stan Lee and mediocre artists took over from Jack Kirby, I stopped buying comic books.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have to love how he made and gifted the ultimate transition of his creation. Lee was about the story telling. We started on smaller print heavy comic books for 50 cents and now anticipate million dollar Marvel sequels regularly.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I started collecting marvel comics when I started secondary school at 12 in the early 1980's. Still have all my collection and never bought DC.

I have that Thor 132 comic @Freedom cost me £24 which is probably worth more now.

Still buy today and my kids are into it too. Loved the Marvel franchise and movies being seen by younger generations.

The characters never age, Tony Start should be 80 and Spiderman 60 by now.

Loved the fact that Stan Lee was in the movies.

El Kabong Guest

R.I.P to the comic legend.

The SJW's have celebrated his passing....why? Well their a heartless bloodthirsty mob dead set on ruining everything so when he declined to make Spider-Man black and bisexual and said "Create your own characters" (true story) they decided he was a horrible no good old white man full of toxic masculinity and all that other bullshit they are programmed to spout.

All I can say was he had a great imagination, he entertained countless people, and he was seemingly a very nice hospitable person.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Comics went downhill after 1970 or so, or did I just become too grown-up to appreciate them? When other writers like Roy Thomas replaced Stan Lee and mediocre artists took over from Jack Kirby, I stopped buying comic books.
    I don't think comics went downhill, I just think people got tired of the superhero thing and nobody staying dead.

Look at some of the creator owned content like Dark Horse or Image. Image especially has been producing quality stuff for the last couple of decades.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Attached Images
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I don't think comics went downhill, I just think people got tired of the superhero thing and nobody staying dead.

Look at some of the creator owned content like Dark Horse or Image. Image especially has been producing quality stuff for the last couple of decades.
    Crazy how it's carried over and they intend it to. I have yet to watch the last major release and have the feeling that it's only because so many aspects were spoiled before it showed up on Prime video. And now the returns may be 'spoiled' because they've already released names and franchise sequels .

actually trying to think of a comic superhero who's been snuffed out and stayed that way, a major one at least.

Thread Information