Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Your Favorite American President?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who is Your Favorite American President?

I'll probably make a lot of threads about history in general, because history is awesome. American history interests me especially.

My favorite president is Andrew Jackson. Dude was a straight up bad ass. Tons of stories about some of the things he's done.

How about you, folks?

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Who is Your Favorite American President?

Andrew Jackson is an interesting choice....if miles were here he'd berate you for picking him though. Andrew Jackson treated the Indians very poorly, sent them on 'The Trail of Tears'...some Indians won't use $20 bills to this day on account of what 'Old Hickory' did to their ancestors.

Ronald Reagan is a good one, he won the Cold War for us. Though liberals would like to thank Gorbachev

James K. Polk was a good one, Manifest Destiny and all! A big believer in expanding the land of our growing Republic. Historically a "middle of the pack" figure when compared to everyone else.

George Washington was solid, I think he's the "gold standard" as he was handed the reigns to a new country he could have ruled over until his death, but he grew our young nation....he had his struggles of course, The Whiskey Rebellion being the biggest domestic issue he faced.

FDR is up there with Washington & Reagan as he was in the office during the Great Depression & Allied victory of World War II...though the war had more of a hand in getting the US out of the Depression than FDR's policies did. Solid leader though.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andrew Jackson is a pretty good choice, due mainly to his passionate battle to save the country from a centralized bank, and he was the first president to survive an attempt on his life as a result.
    Reagan, sorry, is my pick for the worst president of all time, and I am sad to admit that I volunteered large amounts of time to his 1980 campaign. See, he was a liar and a fraud. He won the primary by campaigning against the CFR and TLC, charging that their interests were anti-thetical to those of the American people. Then he chose Bush as VP and stocked his cabinet with CFR and TLC members. He was anti big government yet the size and scope of government exploded while he was president, he signed of on 12 tax increases, including the largest of all time...It goes on and on.
    In my life, we have not had a decent president, from 1964 to the present.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

George W. Bush with Barack Obama being a close second.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

William Henry Harrison, only because I'm related to him and he holds the record for the shortest term.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ronald Reagan.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Andrew Jackson is an interesting choice....if miles were here he'd berate you for picking him though. Andrew Jackson treated the Indians very poorly, sent them on 'The Trail of Tears'...some Indians won't use $20 bills to this day on account of what 'Old Hickory' did to their ancestors.

Ronald Reagan is a good one, he won the Cold War for us. Though liberals would like to thank Gorbachev

James K. Polk was a good one, Manifest Destiny and all! A big believer in expanding the land of our growing Republic. Historically a "middle of the pack" figure when compared to everyone else.

George Washington was solid, I think he's the "gold standard" as he was handed the reigns to a new country he could have ruled over until his death, but he grew our young nation....he had his struggles of course, The Whiskey Rebellion being the biggest domestic issue he faced.

FDR is up there with Washington & Reagan as he was in the office during the Great Depression & Allied victory of World War II...though the war had more of a hand in getting the US out of the Depression than FDR's policies did. Solid leader though.
    Reagan was a tax and spend liberal.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jfk

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As an outsider (and a fairly left-leaning one at that) and a person who studied American history at university, I find it very interesting to see the people listed by American's as their best/favourite Presidents.

I would imagine that in a country as large and diverse as the U.S. opinions would differ wildly on this subject.
    Last edited by CFH; 02-14-2012 at 01:52 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

Well, the trail of tears is something that I see as one of those things that many people just won't be able to understand. Whites and Indians were never going to get along, and Jackson had to choose between turmoil in his country, or advancing the suffering of the people who would have ended up suffering anyways. It's not right, but it was just the way white people were in the time period.

I live in South Dakota, and it's a beautiful place. White people should have left the indians alone. The Indians really had it good before the white man came.

George Washington is a brilliant guy that you really can't fault. He's my number two favorite. He didn't believe in belonging to a political party because he thought that political parties were merely something used to divide the country. Boy was he fucking right!

FDR was a fantastic president, but he had his faults, too. The three areas that his new deals applied to were Relief, Reform, and Restoring the country to it's old glory. The first two areas he did a wonderful job in, but he completely fucked up when trying to Restore the country. The only reason that he was actually able to bring the country back to economic prosperity was because so many jobs had opened up when we jumped into World War Two.

But FDR was phenomenal in the fact that there weren't many other presidents that could have done a better job than he did.

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Andrew Jackson is a pretty good choice, due mainly to his passionate battle to save the country from a centralized bank, and he was the first president to survive an attempt on his life as a result.
    Reagan, sorry, is my pick for the worst president of all time, and I am sad to admit that I volunteered large amounts of time to his 1980 campaign. See, he was a liar and a fraud. He won the primary by campaigning against the CFR and TLC, charging that their interests were anti-thetical to those of the American people. Then he chose Bush as VP and stocked his cabinet with CFR and TLC members. He was anti big government yet the size and scope of government exploded while he was president, he signed of on 12 tax increases, including the largest of all time...It goes on and on.
    In my life, we have not had a decent president, from 1964 to the present.
    That was one of the most enjoyable parts of learning about Andrew Jackson is exactly how he battled Nicholas Biddle, and I think Henry Clay. I might have the Kentucky politicians name wrong, but I'm too lazy to google it.

One thing cannot be doubted. Andrew Jackson had balls of steel.

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    William Henry Harrison, only because I'm related to him and he holds the record for the shortest term.
    You ever hear about the Tecumseh's 20 year curse? It's very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    As an outsider (and a fairly left-leaning one at that) and a person who studied American history at university, I find it very interesting to see the people listed by American's as their best/favourite Presidents.

I would imagine that in a country as large and diverse as the U.S. opinions would differ wildly on this subject.
    The unfortunate thing about America is that we're all getting our shit from the same sources, and many of us think the same way. Oftentimes, Americans aren't subject to having a differentiating opinion from the norm.

But then again, there isn't a lot of people that love history enough to really determine the actualities of how our American presidents actually were.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Franklin D. Roosevelt brought America out of the great depression, and lead us to Victory in WWII. I can't think of another President who did more for the U.S., so by default, he's my favorite.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Franklin D. Roosevelt brought America out of the great depression, and lead us to Victory in WWII. I can't think of another President who did more for the U.S., so by default, he's my favorite.
    If you read my post above, I talk about FDR and the Great Depression.

WWII was really what brought us out of it. I think that was just more so a fortunate sequence of events -economically speaking, anyways- rather than FDR's work as president.

One thing is more certain, though. FDR made the Depression bearable, and he gave Americans hope and change.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    George W. Bush with Barack Obama being a close second.
    Yeah right.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim the BoxingManiac View Post

WWII was really what brought us out of it. I think that was just more so a fortunate sequence of events -economically speaking, anyways- rather than FDR's work as president.

One thing is more certain, though. FDR made the Depression bearable, and he gave Americans hope and change.
    By the time America entered WWII in 1942, FDR's programs had already brought back economic stability/prosperity. Considering what dire straits America was in during the depression, what Roosevelt accomplished was nothing short of a miracle.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim the BoxingManiac View Post

By the time America entered WWII in 1942, FDR's programs had already brought back economic stability/prosperity. Considering what dire straits America was in during the depression, what Roosevelt accomplished was nothing short of a miracle.
    So you advocate Keynesian economics?

Thread Information