Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The "trigger-step" and the straight right hand

I have seen and heard about a 3-4 inch "trigger step" forward and to the left when throwing the right hand. I have been experimenting with it and really like it. I am trying to get the mechanics down.

I use this step if I am going to throw a lead right. It helps to get into range with the step and the step really aids in shoulder and hip rotation and sets me up for a left hook. I also use it when I feint a jab and step in with the right.

My question is what about with the 1-2 from the edge of range?? I always would step in with the jab, then I would be planted more or less for the right. It feels weird taking a step in with the jab and another step for the right. Or would it be step in, jab, step and throw the right??

What are your thoughts on the "trigger step"?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The "trigger-step" and the straight right hand

Do you mean like a corrective shuffle into range? Left foot out slightly, right hip moves with the rear foot coming up with your right shot?
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by God.in.my.corner View Post
    My question is what about with the 1-2 from the edge of range?? I always would step in with the jab, then I would be planted more or less for the right. It feels weird taking a step in with the jab and another step for the right. Or would it be step in, jab, step and throw the right??

That falling "trigger" step actually works great in some situations. But with the 1-2 from the edge of range, you JUST want to step with the jab, close the distance enough and throw the straight right. No "trigger-step" here.

Also when throwing the basic 1-2, step with the jab, but DON'T transfer the weight forward, don't plant, stay balanced or possibly on the back leg, so you don't lose power on the 2. A lot of people do a short step with the left foot, plant on that foot, and then have no power in the straight right, which is wrong. Bring your right feet together as you step.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by badr_hari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by God.in.my.corner View Post

Also when throwing the basic 1-2, step with the jab, but DON'T transfer the weight forward, don't plant, stay balanced or possibly on the back leg, so you don't lose power on the 2. A lot of people do a short step with the left foot, plant on that foot, and then have no power in the straight right, which is wrong. Bring your right feet together as you step.
    I think this is an excellent point. So many times the first step is a step with the front foot instead of a push of the back foot. With a front foot step, your weight can get put in your front foot making the right hand ineffective.

I feel this and lack of shoulder rotation are the biggest impediments to a strong right hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Do you mean like a corrective shuffle into range? Left foot out slightly, right hip moves with the rear foot coming up with your right shot?
    Yeah, that's it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It does work. Its like a quick transfer of weight. A falling step. I think it's just good fundamentals. Also, for a southpaw it helps you to clear your opponents lead foot. John John Molina taught me this trick.

Thread Information