Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  82
Dislikes Dislikes:  6
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Titofan and his country have been hit very, very hard: waiting to hear from him!

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Titofan and his country have been hit very, very hard: waiting to hear from him!

Well Kirkland, Republican Senator John McCain attempted to repeal the Jones Act in 2015 and people in the AFL-CIO (Democrat supporters) celebrated his failure to do so.

McCain Fails to Move Jones Act Repeal
    https://aflcio.org/2015/1/30/mccain-...nes-act-repeal

"We know this won’t be the last time we have to step up to defend our domestic shipping industry, but this is a great victory for Jones Act supporters like us, and your overwhelming response was a big reason why we prevailed." - Michael Sacco President AFL-CIO Maritime Trades Department

But I'm sorry, you had a narrative....

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Titofan and his country have been hit very, very hard: waiting to hear from him!

yeaah the truth always takes the wind out of the SJW sails

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    yeaah the truth always takes the wind out of the SJW sails
    Maybe intelligent people are beyond this 2 party BS. 'They did it!'.....'No, they did!'....They all do it and they all suck.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Damn still no @TitoFan been a while really hope he is alright

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

After World War I, America was worried about German U-boats, which had sunk nearly 5,000 ships during the war. Congress enacted the Merchant Marine Act of 1920, a.k.a. the Jones Act, to ensure that the country maintained a shipbuilding industry and seafaring labor force. Section 27 of this law decreed that only American ships could carry goods and passengers from one United States port to another. In addition, every ship must be built, crewed and owned by American citizens.
    Almost a century later, there are no U-boats lurking off the coast of Puerto Rico. The Jones Act has outlived its original intent, yet it is strangling the island’s economy.

The foreign vessel has one other option: It can reroute to Jacksonville, Fla., where all the goods will be transferred to an American vessel, then shipped to Puerto Rico where — again — all the rerouting costs are passed through to the consumer.
    Thanks to the law, the price of goods from the United States mainland is at least double that in neighboring islands, including the United States Virgin Islands, which are not covered by the Jones Act. Moreover, the cost of living in Puerto Rico is 13 percent higher than in 325 urban areas elsewhere in the United States, even though per capita income in Puerto Rico is about $18,000, close to half that of Mississippi, the poorest of all states.

This is a shakedown, a mob protection racket, with Puerto Rico a captive market. The island is the fifth-largest market in the world for American products, and there are more Walmarts and Walgreens per square mile in Puerto Rico than anywhere else on the planet.
    A 2012 report by two University of Puerto Rico economists found that the Jones Act caused a $17 billion loss to the island’s economy from 1990 through 2010. Other studies have estimated the Jones Act’s damage to Puerto Rico, Hawaii and Alaska to be $2.8 billion to $9.8 billion per year. According to all these reports, if the Jones Act did not exist, then neither would the public debt of Puerto Rico...................

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/o...t.html?mcubz=0

President Donald Trump said Wednesday that he was hesitant to lift the Jones Act in order to aid Puerto Rico following a devastating hurricane on the island because of “a lot of people that work in the shipping industry that don’t want the Jones Act lifted.”

“On Puerto Rico, Mr. President, why not lift the Jones Act like you did in Texas and Florida?” a reporter asked as Trump made his way to Marine One.
    “Well, we’re thinking about that,” he responded. “But we have a lot of shippers, and a lot of people — a lot of people that work in the shipping industry that don’t want the Jones Act lifted. And we have a lot of ships out there right now.”

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...nes-act-waiver
    Puerto Rican's can travel to the us without passport and we have bailed them out many times. The Rican population is well over 50 percent in favor of us statehood but voter turn out has been around 27 p for statehood votes. They get all the benefits of statehood without being a state. The governor of Puerto Rico today talked about us statehood again. Trump has said he will respect the wishes of Puerto Rico and encourages congress to approve statehood if the Rican's wish it. Kirk you are a fool

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    ​Maybe it's our media then, I just haven't heard much at all about PR
    You're correct as we've collectively our glorious leader included, been quite busy with pressing issues like standing or sitting for an anthem we all rush and wish was over before we get to a big fight.

These are American citizens and we have failed to be prompt and sincere in our response. "It's an island in the middle of a big big ocean" ffs . Also many of us are on Facebook so any chance of friends of friends etc being in touch with Tito?

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    ​Maybe it's our media then, I just haven't heard much at all about PR
    You're correct as we've collectively our glorious leader included, been quite busy with pressing issues like standing or sitting for an anthem we all rush and wish was over before we get to a big fight.

These are American citizens and we have failed to be prompt and sincere in our response. "It's an island in the middle of a big big ocean" ffs . Also many of us are on Facebook so any chance of friends of friends etc being in touch with Tito?
    The entire island is without power. It's going to be a while before we hear from him. I'm sure once things settle down and a little normalcy returns he'll find his way back here. I mean he has to, who else is going to take me to task on the Second Amendment and demand I defend my views?

I'mnot sso much worried for Tito as I'm concerned about his family. I don't know if any of them have medical issues like diabetes where they have to take insulin and store insulin in a refrigerated area but it's stuff like that which is now extremely difficult to deal with.

The USNS Comfort is on the way down to PR which should be helpful. Took a while to mobilize but hey that's a big steam powered ship with a lot of people and equipment it's not like it could just be cranked up and move out. That vessel will help provide clean drinking water as well.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As I said when I started this thread over a week ago now the entire Island has a Almost 100%freshwater or let's say potable water problem and people will die within 7 days if they cannot drink water. A human being can make it 30 days on only water but only about seven days without any water. I do fear that a mass calamity is underway

Tito fan battened down his hatches and it's hunkering down now trying to Ride This Out

El Kabong Guest

Dear @Kirkland Laing ,

Donald Trump waives Jones Act to allow foreign ships to supply Puerto Rico
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ico?CMP=twt_gu

It was all because of you

El Kabong Guest

This should give insight to the damage caused by Hurricane Maria....it's going to take a while, but I have faith that the folks on the ground will keep the people safe, healthy, fed, clothed, and sheltered to the best of their abilities. Really hoping everything goes smoothly in returning power, water, etc.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fresh water is the linchpin

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Well Kirkland, Republican Senator John McCain attempted to repeal the Jones Act in 2015 and people in the AFL-CIO (Democrat supporters) celebrated his failure to do so.

"We know this won’t be the last time we have to step up to defend our domestic shipping industry, but this is a great victory for Jones Act supporters like us, and your overwhelming response was a big reason why we prevailed." - Michael Sacco President AFL-CIO Maritime Trades Department

It's not a narrative. Both parties have been responsible for keeping the Act in place for a hundred years. Hopefully it's waived permanently.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

It's not a narrative. Both parties have been responsible for keeping the Act in place for a hundred years. Hopefully it's waived permanently.
    Which is obviously why you bring it up now as opposed to when John McCain attempted to have it repealed

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seems pretty slack. Out of sight out of mind and Thrown to the wolves springs to mind. If the British can get a ship to the Virgin Islands why would it take the US navy so long, off their own shore? Hope Tito is OK.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Damn I hope @TitoFan returns, he was about the only member there with taste in women

Thread Information