Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Calzaghe says Jones his last fight

Jones Calzaghe's last fight

I hope this isn't the case. I don't mind him taking a payday then fighting Pavlik, but to just fight a washed up Jones then hang them up I have a problem with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe says Jones his last fight

Quote Originally Posted by the wiz View Post
    Jones Calzaghe's last fight

I hope this isn't the case. I don't mind him taking a payday then fighting Pavlik, but to just fight a washed up Jones then hang them up I have a problem with.
    If this is true then its just like I said when he dismissed the Pavlik bout. He said about a possible future bout against Kelly, and I said that he'll only have said that to soften the blow of all the critism!

Understandable move for financial reasons, but not a good one if he wanted to leave a great legacy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a guttless turd. Fighting another washed up fighter.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe has worked very hard to get to where he is now so you cant blame him for wanting to cash in and fight Jones.

BUt if he retires without fighting Pavlik or at least tring to make the fight happen it will seem to me like unfinnished busness.
    Balls

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This just seals the deal for me if it happens. And I shall write Joe off as a good boxer who played it safe till the end. And I won`t ever forget and be here to remind as to how he talked shit against Pavlik as an excuse to not fight him. Instead of dealing with it with class.

I`ll watch him fight RJJ and I won`t hate on his career when he retires, but I won`t ever forget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know,I had gained a measure of respect for Joe after the Kessler fight,even if Kessler was hurt.Joe did take the fight. I was willing to make allowances for the big payday for him to fight a 43 year old Hopkins. But dodging Pavlik to fight Roy So Far Over The Hill He Cant See It Anymore Jr is bs.
    Especially after he said last year that he had no interest in fighting Jones anymore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I find people going on about Joe ducking fights ridiculous.

He has had a pretty safe carrer and only stepped it up at the end Warren could be blamed here as well

Joe is at the end of his career in his recent fights he has taken on the fights people wanted to see, how long can you keep taking on the new hottest contender, he has made no secret that he want to retire soon and in his last few fights he has taken on the dangerous young fighters (lacy and Kessler) and taken out the old guard. (Hopkins and hopefully Roy Jones) not a bad end to a career, but oh no there is a new young gun on the horizon two weight divisions lower who if he doesn't fight he is a "chicken shit turd" who's not worth shit!!

My point is at the end of a fighters career who has has fought as well as Joe has, he has taken risks and achieved more than most, I don't mind if he finishs off that career with a big fight that he wants he shouldnt have to take on every young gun on the scene till he gets beat, he has earned it and has to retire some time

Idiots will always jump on a new bandwagon and say such and such a fighter is washed up because it makes them look more like a hardcore boxing fan but in truth Joe will go down as great British figher and shouldn't be accused of ducking anyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    You know,I had gained a measure of respect for Joe after the Kessler fight,even if Kessler was hurt.Joe did take the fight. I was willing to make allowances for the big payday for him to fight a 43 year old Hopkins. But dodging Pavlik to fight Roy So Far Over The Hill He Cant See It Anymore Jr is bs.
    Especially after he said last year that he had no interest in fighting Jones anymore
    I think this is Calzaghe's big let down. The way he's played the media.

He said that about Roy Jones, he's said Pavlik aint at his level which is bs, and he wants to be known as a great and have a legacy.

He is flawed in all of what he says and does. He also made his feelings known about Steve Collins when he was the champion adn Joe was the young up and comer. Now he is doing exactly the same with Pavlik.

I'm a big Calzaghe fan, and I understand he wants a big payday by the easiest fight. But I don't accept all the comments he has made.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It always bothers me a bit, when people try to stack their arguements by saying or suggesting they are hardcore fans and new pêople are just bandwagon jumping. It isn`t really much of an arguement. All it tells really is that you have a long standing bias. You may have good knowledge, but don`t discount the ability to learn. It couldn`t hurt to try to look at a new and fresh approach and perspective. New people have looked at the old if they are worth their salt, used that info - to formulate opinions, often without bias.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It always bothers me a bit, when people try to stack their arguements by saying or suggesting they are hardcore fans and new pêople are just bandwagon jumping. It isn`t really much of an arguement. All it tells really is that you have a long standing bias. You may have good knowledge, but don`t discount the ability to learn. It couldn`t hurt to try to look at a new and fresh approach and perspective. New people have looked at the old if they are worth their salt, used that info - to formulate opinions, often without bias.
    Sorry I may not have been clear I tend to go on a bit, I did not mean new people are bandwagon jumping and I never claimed to be a hardcore fan My problem is when boxers get to the top of there game and the end of there career everyone seems to line up to try and shoot them down and say if he doesn't fight this young kid then his whole career is for shit, there is always an new young kid first it was Lacy then Kessler now Pavlik and if he beat Kelly then people will say it was because he was too small and now Joe has to fight such and such or he's a bum

For the record I have never been a massive Calzaghe Fan I don't like the way he fights but he was great against lacy and I have a lot of respect for him he has done more than most over his carrer
    Last edited by sonny78; 06-15-2008 at 02:56 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sonny78 View Post
    Sorry I may not have been clear I tend to go on a bit, I did not mean new people are bandwagon jumping and I never claimed to be a hardcore fan My problem is when boxers get to the top of there game and the end of there career everyone seems to line up to try and shoot them down and say if he doesn't fight this young kid then his whole career is for shit, there is always an new young kid first it was Lacy then Kessler now Pavlik and if he beat Kelly then people will say it was because he was too small and now Joe has to fight such and such or he's a bum

For the record I have never been a massive Calzaghe Fan I don't like the way he fights but he was great against lacy and I have a lot of respect for him
    I for one don`t think Joe`s career is for shit. And as I`ve openly stated many times on here, no disrespect would ever have been made to him, or atleast a justified disrespect if he quietly took the RJJ fight, or someone similar as he is heading into or is in the twilight of his career. I would have cheered him on. As a newly self-appointed Pavlik fan though, I did and still do take offence to his statements `he`s just not ready for me, I`m just too good ètc etc...as I don`t believe it so. I`m sure many of us would argue that, and hoped to see the fight. The majority wants to see it. But I think from a legacy point of view, we can understand how he wouldnt. The fight doesnt make much sense for him.

He brought the shit talking on himself with those statements. My perspective, of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was going to reply about how i feel if this was Joe's last fight, and say how he's playing it safe and all, but instead, i want to take a look at the flip side..

seems as though we're all assuming that Joe will beat RJJ (obviously up for debate, but in the light of this thread.....)

what if joe LOST to RJJ.. then what? A.) Does he fight again? or retire on a loss.. B.) Is his legacy even WORSE now with a loss to what is considered a "washed-up" RJJ?

I mean, let's just say he loses to RJJ, and someone says, tell me about Joe Calzaghe.. Well he had a million title defenses after defeating Eubank, he was a great young champ he UD'd an up and comer in Jeff Lacy from the US, he UD'd Mikkel Kessler who was the top guy in his division, he SD'd a 43 year old Bernard Hopkins, and then went on to lose to a "washed-up" Roy Jones..

I'm mostly mad cause i do think Joe is a great fighter, i just wish i could've seen more of him in big fights.. it would've been more exciting and he would've made a LOT more money if he was fighting the top names for the last 7-8 years..

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is Lockett now wearing the same dress that Cintron wore, when he spoke of Margo smashing Cotto? you decide...

Boxing: Lockett backs Calzaghe to beat Pavlik - icWales

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He has had a pretty safe carrer and only stepped it up at the end Warren could be blamed here as well

Joe is at the end of his career in his recent fights he has taken on the fights people wanted to see, how long can you keep taking on the new hottest contender, he has made no secret that he want to retire soon and in his last few fights he has taken on the dangerous young fighters (lacy and Kessler) and taken out the old guard. (Hopkins and hopefully Roy Jones) not a bad end to a career, but oh no there is a new young gun on the horizon two weight divisions lower who if he doesn't fight he is a "chicken shit turd" who's not worth shit!!

My point is at the end of a fighters career who has has fought as well as Joe has, he has taken risks and achieved more than most, I don't mind if he finishs off that career with a big fight that he wants he shouldnt have to take on every young gun on the scene till he gets beat, he has earned it and has to retire some time

Idiots will always jump on a new bandwagon and say such and such a fighter is washed up because it makes them look more like a hardcore boxing fan but in truth Joe will go down as great British figher and shouldn't be accused of ducking anyone
    Good post.

Most of these guys never heard of Calzaghe until the Lacy fight. They don't realise, or conveniently ignore, that he's an old man. And even if he fought, and beat, Pavlik, there would be a new challenge he is ducking.. proving his whole career has been a con-job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i totally understand where you're coming from.. but i'd like to hear your views on PBF haha.. and see if you say the same things about him.. and if you do, then i'd consider your opinion on calzaghe non-biased..

do you think mayweather needs to continue taking on the up and comers (cotto, paul williams, etc..)? He has more meaningful names on his resume then Joe could ever DREAM of, yet he still gets flak for not fighting Cotto (i'm not saying that he shouldn't fight him, just stating what goes on).. So do you think that he needs to continue fighting the new hot prospect, or has he accomplished enough in the sport where he could just retire and not be criticized doing so.. keep in mind that Floyd is not 25, he's 31 or 32, so i don't think the age card is available here..

Thread Information