Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Another excuse to defend JCC Jr's coddling: SHOT DOWN!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Another excuse to defend JCC Jr's coddling: SHOT DOWN!!

I've always been an outspoken critic of Chavez Jr's bloated record while fighting nothing but stiffs (like his dad did while compiling a 43-0 record in the beginning of his career). While there's not too many complaints (most people agree).... there is the occasional "Oh but he didn't have an amateur career" lame excuse. Lame because, regardless of his lack of amateur background, he still has a bloated record which, on paper, will get compared to other, more deserving fighters' records. He's a chip off the old block, building a fake record while fighting bums.

But... let's just say, for the sake of argument, that the "lack of amateur career" excuse holds water. WHAT ABOUT WILFREDO VAZQUEZ JR.?!?!? He didn't have an amateur career either. And who's he fighting on Saturday? Jorge Arce, that's who. A great and proven Mexican champion. And Wilfredo's only had 20 fights. Where's the coddling there?

So news that Cotto will no longer be fighting Margarito (I was hoping he'd bash in his OTHER eye), but might well be fighting Chavez Jr, has me frothing at the mouth. If and when this DOES happen, I'm hoping Cotto punishes him to the body with his wrecking ball hooks (sort of a "Welcome to Boxing" moment), before finishing him off in 4-5 rounds (don't want him lasting too long in there and getting any wrong ideas about how good he is).

Problem is... I doubt the doting Papa will actually let Junior anywhere NEAR Cotto.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Another excuse to defend JCC Jr's coddling: SHOT DOWN!!

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I've always been an outspoken critic of Chavez Jr's bloated record while fighting nothing but stiffs (like his dad did while compiling a 43-0 record in the beginning of his career). While there's not too many complaints (most people agree).... there is the occasional "Oh but he didn't have an amateur career" lame excuse. Lame because, regardless of his lack of amateur background, he still has a bloated record which, on paper, will get compared to other, more deserving fighters' records. He's a chip off the old block, building a fake record while fighting bums.

But... let's just say, for the sake of argument, that the "lack of amateur career" excuse holds water. WHAT ABOUT WILFREDO VAZQUEZ JR.?!?!? He didn't have an amateur career either. And who's he fighting on Saturday? Jorge Arce, that's who. A great and proven Mexican champion. And Wilfredo's only had 20 fights. Where's the coddling there?

So news that Cotto will no longer be fighting Margarito (I was hoping he'd bash in his OTHER eye), but might well be fighting Chavez Jr, has me frothing at the mouth. If and when this DOES happen, I'm hoping Cotto punishes him to the body with his wrecking ball hooks (sort of a "Welcome to Boxing" moment), before finishing him off in 4-5 rounds (don't want him lasting too long in there and getting any wrong ideas about how good he is).

Problem is... I doubt the doting Papa will actually let Junior anywhere NEAR Cotto.

Can we agree Mayorga would probably smash Chavez Jr. ?
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

Can we agree Mayorga would probably smash Chavez Jr. ?

To smithereens.

He'd probably insult him and his whole family before the fight, too.
    Why the f*ck wasn't this fight ever made?

Oh...... that's right...... Papa's VETO powers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayorga showed he's still got a good fight or two left in him, and that's why he will not be facing Chavez jr. He would destroy Chavez jr.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i already brought up the Vazquez Jr point up before with the retard formerly known as milmascaras lol, but in all fairness Vazquez is taking a gimme tonight, Arce has been through a hell of a lot of wars, been hot and cold lately and is now jumping up 2 divisions to face the younger and stronger Vazquez, it's sort of an uphill battle and i wasn't too pleased when i heard this fight was being made, would have rather had Arce just beat the shit out of Morel (cause damn i can't stand the fucker), and have Vazquez fight Nishioka

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Problem with Cotto fighting Chavez Jr. is the height and weight. Cotto looks rather small in every fight at 154. He isn't going to be able to go to 160 well. And if he did, he would be giving up quite a bit of weight against Chavez Jr. on the night of the fight.

Cotto-skills to take out Chavez Jr? Hell yes. Size? Not so much.

Still favor Cotto, but the size difference gives Chavez a chance.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember how Chavez Sr., with his padded record built on bums, was exposed by Rosario, LaPorte, etc...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    I remember how Chavez Sr., with his padded record built on bums, was exposed by Rosario, LaPorte, etc...
    Yeah really, I'm not getting this line of thinking at all. Fighters get brought along and the pace they can more or less handle. There isn't some RIGHT number of fights.

Only morons look at records alone and come to conclusions. Serious fans look at the men who were fought and where those men were in their careers.

Kostya Tzsyu fought a still dangerous LaPorte in his FOURTH fight and he was ready to. Chavez didn't fight a top guy until who? Anzibache Martinez, right? Then in the next 2/12 years he ripped through Roger Mayweather, Jeff Bumphus, Lockridge, LaPorte, Cabrera, Rosario, Nicky Perez and it was off to the races. How in hell can someone complain?

Now is JCC Jr anything more than a prospect at this point? Nope. Is it time for more serious challenges? Probably.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arce is shopworn and undersized. He's an opponent for Vasquez.

Regardless of JCC Senior's record there's nothing fake about his actual accomplishments.

How can he be both coddled and matched up with Cotto? There's still a window on him showing what his potential is.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lol good post. A father living vicariously through his son or rather sons. Omar is being fed a steady diet from the soup aisle as well.

El Kabong Guest

JC Jr needs to go ahead and fight the best 154 has to offer or even 160, sure he'll more than likely lose to a few guys but he's not testing himself. A while ago we were supposed to have Jr vs Duddy, why not Jr vs Andy Lee?

I can't wait til Canelo fights Jr....can you say ass whuppin?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    JC Jr needs to go ahead and fight the best 154 has to offer or even 160, sure he'll more than likely lose to a few guys but he's not testing himself. A while ago we were supposed to have Jr vs Duddy, why not Jr vs Andy Lee?

I can't wait til Canelo fights Jr....can you say ass whuppin?
    Andy Lee would probably whip Chavez Jr. They have nearly identical body types, tall rangy boxers, but Lee seems to have some real pop, and he has shown great heart.

Not to mention he is the superior boxer.

Poor Chavez Jr. takes a lot of heat, but if your going to headline fucking PPV's and call yourself a world champion...well you better live up to it.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post

Never said Chavez didn't end up being a great fighter.

Merely stating the fact that the first half of his outlandish record was based solely on BUMS. And his coddled son is following exactly in his footsteps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hate it. It's a disgrace and the worst thing about boxing. I realize it's a business and they bring guys along until they reach a point where they can get (relatively few) big money fights but it's killing the sport.

Thread Information