Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Gilberto Ramirez is ‘reinstated’ as WBO 168 champ - BJS next?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Gilberto Ramirez is ‘reinstated’ as WBO 168 champ - BJS next?

Weird one this, not sure if Saunders will get to fight him next instead of Isufi?

There is a growing amount of uncertainty surrounding Billy Joe Saunders’ upcoming world title fight.

It was announced last week that the Brit will be facing Shefat Isufi for the WBO super-middleweight belt – recently vacated by Gilberto Ramirez, who is planning to move up to light-heavyweight.

However, Ramirez has since come out and denied that he ever vacated, insisting he might yet move back down to super-middleweight and defend his crown.

As a result, the WBO have now edited their rankings, taken him out of the light-heavyweight list and ‘reinstated’ him as super-middleweight world champion.

“I have not vacated the title,” Ramirez told ESTO, “I will fight at 175lbs to see how I feel, I spoke to Paquito [Valcarcel – WBO president], I told him I have an optional fight and he gave me his support.

“We still do not have a confirmed date for this preparation fight at 175lbs, but it could take place in April.

“If a unification with [Callum] Smith or another champion comes up, we will take it and then we would settle in half-full, I would move up after unifying my title, I hope it can happen in the coming months.”

It’s unclear what this means for Billy Joe Saunders vs Shefat Isufi, as there cannot be two WBO super-middleweight titles (this isn’t the WBA, after all).

WBO representatives are yet to respond to requests for comment from talkSPORT.com.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gilberto Ramirez is ‘reinstated’ as WBO 168 champ - BJS next?

Anyone think this is connected to the talks at DAZN about signing BJS and GGG. We know Bob runs the WBO and he controls the ESPN platform so why would he give away his belt to rivals? Err I mean Gilberto’s belt

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Makes sense for Arum to isolate a coasting belt holder and make options. Ramirez has also left his trainer since childhood and his manager and this whole 'tip toing' another division rarely ends tremendously. Either take a non title low key added weight 'tester' and stop making drama or drop the belt and bounce upa division already. Too many guys trying to have it both ways with multi division trinkets and gimmes now.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So has Saunders officially moved up to 168? Weird move unless he just can’t make 160 anymore. Why anyone would dare to willingly enter the same weight class as rocky fielding boggles the mind.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

World Boxing News understands Billy Joe Saunders has been offered a huge $15 million deal by Matchroom Boxing chief Eddie Hearn.

A rumor apparent to WBN states Saunders has what equates to £11.37m on the table to sign a contract with Hearn.

Saunders would then reportedly have the opportunity to fight on Sky Sports Box Office in the UK and DAZN in the United States.

Encounters with the likes of Demetrius Andrade, Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez would be firmly up for grabs.

It’s no secret DAZN are on the verge of luring Golovkin to their stable. ‘GGG’ – like Canelo – would then be open to facing anyone at 160 or 168.

At present, and as WBN sees it, Saunders is happy with Frank Warren. He’s currently gearing up for a WBO super middleweight title clash.

Just last week, it was confirmed by Warren that Saunders will battle Shefat Isufi for the vacant belt on April 13th. A win could see Saunders become a two-weight ruler with the WBO.

It’s believed Saunders is not considering the tempting bid. Whilst Hearn continues to try and nailed down some of the biggest names around.

A promise to DAZN to secure top fighters is yet to be fully fulfilled by Hearn due to a good percentage of his advances being unsuccessful.

The likes of Mikey Garcia, Deontay Wilder and the Charlo brothers have committed to Al Haymon in recent months.

Thread Information