Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who is next for Anthony Joshua?

Joe Joyce labelled Anthony Joshua 'a glass cannon' after the former world champion claimed he would defeat his compatriot in one round. The two men have exchanged barbs as Joshua looks for an interim bout with his rematch against Oleksandr Usyk up in the air following the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Joe Joyce labelled Anthony Joshua 'a glass cannon' after the former world champion claimed he would defeat his compatriot in one round. The two men have exchanged barbs as Joshua looks for an interim bout with his rematch against Oleksandr Usyk up in the air following the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Swedish heavyweight Otto Wallin is also in the mix, but the two Brits have been in engaged in something of a war of words on Twitter. Joshua responded to speculation he could fight Joyce by pointing out the fact he had already fought - and beaten - the former Olympian, stopping him in the first round.

The Watford-born superstar insisted on social media that the outcome would be the same today. "I've shared this ring with most people you see in the heavyweight division today," Joshua posted last week. "I boxed Otto wallin twice as youngsters and I boxed Joe and stopped him in one round. I'd do the same thing today! Ain't nothing changed."

Joyce hit back at the 32-year-old by mocking his lossto Usyk, after the Ukrainian claimed the WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO world heavyweight titles at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Joshua was soundly beaten on points last September in a fight that delayed the possibility of the 2012 Olympic champion taking on Tyson Fury in a blockbuster, all-British unification bout.

"@Anthony Joshua you having a meltdown, where's all your belts? All those sponsorships and endorsements helping? You're a glass cannon, quit the act, you were given everything. #easymode" wrote Joyce. Joshua replied by suggesting it took his rival five days to 'come up' with the response, but the contender replied by insisting the Brit was avoiding him. Joyce added: "Btw I told you 5 days ago let's get it on my yout! Check your Twitter. You ducked it."

With Usyk currently in Ukraine, having vowed to fight for his country amid the ongoing Russian invasion, boxing fans are calling for the two Britons to face off. Joshua responded to a Twitter user that made that suggestion by saying: "Do you really think I wouldn't fight Joe Joyce?"

Joyce then posted a mock-up picture of himself next to Joshua under the Wembley Stadium arch with an accompanying caption which read: "Two GB Lions in an all British Heavyweight Showdown! This fight would be massive. I'm highly ranked and undefeated. Let's Get It!"

Joshua is looking to bounce back from his tough defeat to Usyk as he was simply outclassed by the Ukrainian throughout. He has since hired a new lead trainer in Angel Fernandez to lead his camp in preparation for the rematch.

He appears set to have some sort of warm up fight before facing Usyk, and Joyce is unbeaten in 13 professional fights - including 12 knockouts. Deontay Wilder is also linked with a bout against Joshua.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...id=msedgntphdr
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who is next for Anthony Joshua?

I've heard rumours about potential opponents for a tune-up for Joshua, one being Joyce & the other being Deontay Wilder.

In respect of Wilder, that would certainly be a ballsy so-called tune-up.

Wilder has his faults, but he is nobody's tune-up; he is a legitimate fight for any top HW.

Joshua would be taking an extraordinary risk fighting Wilder whilst waiting for a Usyk rematch.

Joshua is gunshy these days & whilst boxing and moving might be the best tactic against Wilder, but Joshua is not blessed with the greatest stamina & I am doubtful he can avoid Wilder for 12 rounds.

If I were Joshua, I would just wait for Usyk; there's no point in taking risks at this stage in his career.

A Joyce fight might be good for Joyce, but I don't see what's in it for Joshua.

If Joshua loses, he becomes a busted flush, if he wins, he still in the same position, waiting for Usyk.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

True but having a fight with a new trainer and staying active against a non dangerous fighter would not hurt AJ either.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    True but having a fight with a new trainer and staying active against a non dangerous fighter would not hurt AJ either.
    But there are a couple of problems with that.
    1. Where AJ’s at at the moment, there’s no such thing as a non dangerous fighter.
    2. Again, with where AJ is at in his career, non competitive fights aren’t really acceptable. He’s not World Champion anymore, but his name carries the same financial clout. It’s all meaningful fights from here on in.
    3. I actually believe AJ when he says he wants the big fights. Personally I would love to see him finish Wilder off for once and for all.
    4. Others have said wait for Usyk, but he can’t. What we have to understand is that Usyk may have fought his last fight! His country is at war and we don’t know how long that will be the case. Also , depending on the outcome and the possibility of being in a communist state again, he may not be given permission to box.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed re waiting for Usyk. Unfortunate circumstances but let's be honest he's not going to be able to start a serious training camp anytime soon and he certainly won't leave Ukraine.

It may be he just has to step out of the HW scene for now and come back as a mandatory challenger for whoever holds the belts. With Usyk out the picture should be much clearer for AJ.

AJ could even be well out of the picture by time Usyk comes back....
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why not take the rubber match with Ruiz to keep busy??

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funny old game init. Lennox Lewis. The great Lennox Lewis had a couple of gimmes after getting chinned by McCall. Lionel Butler and Justin Fortune. Fortune is about four and a half feet tall. Can you imagine the stick Joshua would get if he had a couple of knock over jobs in the interim? All the while people would be clamouring for todays fighters to fight the best of the best "Like they did back in the good old days".

Lewis is lauded for his beatdown of Grant. Grant the next big thing yadda yadda. Would Joshua receive the same praise if he walloped Joe Joyce who is far far more accomplished than Grant? Would he bollocks.

This isn't an anti Lennox Lewis piece by the way. Just a glaring example of how rose tinted people get when looking back on great fighters and how contemporary fighters basically get shat on no matter what they do.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AJ should take on a durable but light puncher who will guarantee that he does a number of rounds to embed what he has learnt with the new trainer but not dangerous enough to knock him out.

The challenger should be safe and could even mean it not being a PPV. Staying active is more important.

Wilder and Joyce would be too dangerous at this stage but Ruiz, Wallin or Parker would be safer options.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pretty crazy to see the W.e B.e C.ollecting doesn't even rank AJ now . Never been big on resetting a guy right where he was off a (convincing) loss so he should take a fight as the future of Usyk is completely up in the air. AJ can work out some mental cobwebs and make the headlines for fighting rather than talking about fighting. I mean ffs he's already been passed up by Frank Sanchez and a 55 yr old Luis Ortiz..he needs to get busy. Don't laugh..what about a Helenius? He gets the mass size, the decent jab, ok name and the very probable highlight reel win and his higher ranking.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Why not take the rubber match with Ruiz to keep busy??
    Was thinking that. Ruiz has lost a Bantamweight in body weight and was being dropped and caught often in his last fight with Arreola. Has the history there, decent risk and great chance to exercise some ghosts. Who knows.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep and would definitely sell

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Derek Chisora wants to box Andy Ruiz Jr in London

Heavyweight boxing veteran Derek Chisora has offered to fight Andy Ruiz Jr in London later this year.

With a 32-12 record in the sport, it’s safe to say Derek Chisora has just about seen it all in this game. Still, even at the age of 38, he’s as hungry as he’s ever been to get in there and compete.

His most recent two-fight series saw him lose consecutive bouts to Joseph Parker, ensuring he now hasn’t registered a win in over two years.

Andy Ruiz Jr, meanwhile, is best known to the masses as the man who shocked the world.

The Mexican sensation caused one of the biggest upsets in the history of heavyweight boxing when he finished Anthony Joshua via TKO at Madison Square Garden. While he did go on to lose the belts six months later in late 2019, Ruiz Jr will forever be remembered as a national hero that once held the WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, and IBO heavyweight titles.

Now, he wants to try and climb the mountain for the second time in a division that’s on fire.

After asking fans on social media who they want to see him fight, Ruiz Jr was greeted by the following suggestion from none other than ‘Del Boy’.

“Want to come to London?”

It’s a pretty straightforward challenge and given the potential fireworks this match-up could produce, we’d say it’s something Ruiz Jr will be quite interested in.

One of the most noticeable differences between Andy Ruiz Jr in the first Joshua fight and the second was his weight. The speed that he showcased in NYC didn’t really seem to be on display in the rematch, with his increased size being seen as a big reason for that.

After taking over a year off, the 32-year-old stepped back into the squared circle to take on Chris Arreola in California. The unanimous decision win didn’t blow the masses away but it got him back on the winning trail, which is all it was really designed to do.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Pretty crazy to see the W.e B.e C.ollecting doesn't even rank AJ now . Never been big on resetting a guy right where he was off a (convincing) loss so he should take a fight as the future of Usyk is completely up in the air. AJ can work out some mental cobwebs and make the headlines for fighting rather than talking about fighting. I mean ffs he's already been passed up by Frank Sanchez and a 55 yr old Luis Ortiz..he needs to get busy. Don't laugh..what about a Helenius? He gets the mass size, the decent jab, ok name and the very probable highlight reel win and his higher ranking.

Exhibit A as to why you take the alphabet rankings plus 3 bucks and you might be able to get a decent cup of coffee at a Starbucks.

A 5-year with a dartboard would come up with comparable rankings.

But the WBC is special (and I have my own meaning for the WBC, but I won't go into that as this isn't the appropriate thread ).

In a universe of misfits, the others can still look down on the WBC as the proverbial bottom of the barrel.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

“Anthony is in the States at the moment trying out some new trainers and getting his head right. He wants to be active in 2023,” Hearn told Sky Sports.

“I think Dillian [Whyte] is on the list. There’s a few other names – Deontay Wilder might be there, Otto Wallin. It’s his call.

“He is at a crossroads in his career. He can’t afford another loss.

“We’re going to see a very interesting 2023 across the whole heavyweight division. Joe Joyce is up there, ‘The Juggernaut’ is a handful. Daniel Dubois is coming back.

“Obviously Tyson Fury is the No. 1 in the world. He’s going to take all the beating, but I think he is quite close to getting the Usyk fight signed off. That’s a hell of a good fight, and a dangerous one.

“I think Usyk is the No. 1 heavyweight in the world. Tyson will disagree with me. Let’s go and see.

“The fight we all want to see eventually is AJ against Fury. You’ll get stories, Tyson will say the fight is never going to happen, Joshua will say he’d rather fight Dillian White. Forget all of that.

“This fight has to happen, and I think it does happen at the tail-end of 2023, for all the marbles.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...t-barry-hearn/

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Last call for alcohol for AJ. Even if he wins his next fight in a snooze fest like the way he beat Ruiz, he's done.

Thread Information