Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default new guy

ive been boxing for about a year now. but all i do i hit a heavy bag in my garage.

i boxed against a new kid at school today, he is an excellent boxer and have been training for years.

he got in about 50 punches in the time i got in 2.

we talked after and he said i need to loosen up and lead my opponent. i know hes right but i don't know how.

i can throw a good punch and i can throw it hard. but i never know when. i dont know how to set up my opponent.

i was wondering if anybody here can help me out... i know its hard to TELL somebody time-ing but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: new guy

Do you go to a boxing gym?
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you haven't been boxing for a year, you've been hitting a bag in your garage for a year. you want to box, then walk through a gym door. Not to seem harsh, but it is what it is.

All the questons you have asked, will be answered there, and with time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Listen, you can't learn boxing by yourself. You need to go to a boxing gym, and hook up with a decent trainer. Otherwise you're not going to make any progress and you're going to develop had habits. Go to a gym, train hard, and any maybe later when you actual experience under your belt, you can invite your friend to the gym. If he's really been boxing for years, then you can plan on sparring each other. You learn boxing in the the gym, there's no way around it.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

right thats sorta what i ment. its just hitting a bag. sorry if i didnt come out clear enough.

im trying to get a membership to goldengloves

im going in tomorrow. gonna try and find someone decent to help me out. im just new to all this and was lookin for some tips.. but i get that you can only learn by doing in boxing.
    thanks anyways

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm glad to hear that.

At the gym you'll pick up the sport a lot faster, and you'll get in better shape. Through your instruction from your trainer, as well as your experience in the ring, you'll gain perspective. You'll begin to look at things from a fighter's standpoint, which in turn will affect the way that you train. Then when you're back hitting the bag at home, you'll be doing so as fighter, and not just pretend.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes, and if you have any questions we can help.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 10-13-2009 at 11:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was in your situation but now that I look back there was no way I could call myself a boxer in that two year period where I "self-trained". The only way to do it is to go to a boxing gym.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i dont really consider myself a boxer, i consider myself and aspiring fighter. sorry if i called myself a boxer

by the way i should introduce myself, my name is steven, people call me dave.

ive been a pain junkie for about 4 years.
    i train in gymnastics off and on. i do parkour or free running.

me and my friends lift till we are dead then go and lift a bit more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Welcome Dave,

Anyways when you begin training at the boxing gym, keep in mind that you're going to have to really cut back on your strength training, especially since you're going to be teaching your body something new.

You mentioned you do gymnastics work? Have you read Coach Sommers' The Gymnastic Body? A great book to read, by the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i dont beleive i have. most of my gymnastics experience has been honestly.. im not to proud to say it.. what my friends calls 5-0 evasion tech.

lol

basically building raw speed agility and strength. im small 5'10 and about 120 pounds. but i can jump 8 foot walls and if i get an opening i can knock someone with 40 pounds on me right to their ass... but as i said... i never get the chance due to my lack of cordination and overall time in the ring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Dave, as I said before I had superior physical qualities (and still do in comparision to the rest of the guys at the gym) but I realized how little they count: its all technique. Get ready for a great ride: nothing is like boxing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah i understand that. form what ive heard... boxing basically restarts all your muscle anyways. but hey, thanks for the support guys

Thread Information