Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Selling off the UK rail franchise has been a disaster

It does not seem to have worked in any tangible way. I speak from a region frequently cut off when the sea washes away the track at Dawlish meaning the whole of Devon and Cornwall lose the rail connection to London, Brum and the rest of the country. For businesses here it can be very damaging. I can rarely justify it. If I have a job in London It's never long enough notice to avoid paying astronomical prices for a poor service.

https://buyingbusinesstravel.com/new...ail-franchises

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...system-say-mps
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Selling off the UK rail franchise has been a disaster

Tory ideology is to privatise the public sector whereas Labour want to renationalise it and it would pay for itself. Sensible and logical.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The UK rail system is scarily bad. I was shocked when I discovered it was something like 25-30 pounds to get from the airport to my hometown. It's not a long journey by any stretch of the imagination. Fair enough the train was in good condition and it wasn't overcrowded but it left a bad impression. I was thinking 'Is this country going to bankrupt me?' It is cheaper to travel to other countries than get to far flung parts of the UK by train. Traveling to the UK sucks because of the transport costs and also hotel costs. It is all very unreasonable and the quality of hotels is usually fairly poor. Unless you pay 250 pounds a night as I did once in London having got a bus there by mistake. A reasonable part of London where the people are rich and few of the people working in thd area could ever afford to live there. If I write a best seller and have Amazon get the word out I might go back to that hotel and take the train instead of the bus.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris Grayling is a fuck wit of a minister who privatised every department he goes into including employment with work programmes, probation and continue to keep the piss poor franchise that run the trains. He is an evil bastard and waiting in the wings to become prime minister.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Off topic but I took a train in China from a small city to Beijing. It was a 19hr trip. The train had those sleeping cars, looked like our trains I see in the movies from the fifties. Dinner service to your room. Really cool way to travel

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Off topic but I took a train in China from a small city to Beijing. It was a 19hr trip. The train had those sleeping cars, looked like our trains I see in the movies from the fifties. Dinner service to your room.
    Bet it was cheap as chips to ride on it.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Off topic but I took a train in China from a small city to Beijing. It was a 19hr trip. The train had those sleeping cars, looked like our trains I see in the movies from the fifties. Dinner service to your room.
    Cheap as chips, good one. Yes, with the western conversion you don’t need much money to live like a king in China as long as you are not scared to leave the spots that cater to westerners. Master if u are looking for real cheap living I can recommend a few spots in Afghanistan

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cheap as chips, good one. Yes, with the western conversion you don’t need much money to live like a king in China as long as you are not scared to leave the spots that cater to westerners. Master if u are looking for real cheap living I can recommend a few spots in Afghanistan
    I have my backup place. India. 29p for a haircut and that is with a tip.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ironically foreigners cannot buy property in India which is kind of unfair considering how many Indians own property in the UK. I have thought about retreating to somewhere cheap and reclusive, but it's temp contracts, restrictions and uncertainty. Impossible to do a Robinson Crusoe anymore.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Ironically foreigners cannot buy property in India which is kind of unfair considering how many Indians own property in the UK. I have thought about retreating to somewhere cheap and reclusive, but it's temp contracts, restrictions and uncertainty. Impossible to do a Robinson Crusoe anymore.
    I think you can cheat that law by paying someone to use their name.

In Saudi Arabia I think it is the same?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's hardly comparable though Master. Don't be an apologist for unfair policies towards countries full of white people. Walrus cannot build his church in Saudi Arabia and I cannot buy a house in India. Yet millions of Indians and Middle Easterns own property and exercise their religious rights in the West. Then some have the gall to say 'We don't like it. We want our own laws too'.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's hardly comparable though Master. Don't be an apologist for unfair policies towards countries full of white people. Walrus cannot build his church in Saudi Arabia and I cannot buy a house in India. Yet millions of Indians and Middle Easterns own property and exercise their religious rights in the West. Then some have the gall to say 'We don't like it. We want our own laws too'.
    Then Trump should sort that out the church issue with Saudi Arabia when he is negotiating arms deals with their royal family.

Just because some brown people say they want their laws here, you stereotype the whole community as ungrateful. There is a word for that.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tory ideology is to privatise the public sector whereas Labour want to renationalise it and it would pay for itself. Sensible and logical.

Labour had the chance under Tony B.Liar , they did nothing , its all talk from the opposition fuck all will happen as usual.
    Politian's are all fucking spineless.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post

Labour had the chance under Tony B.Liar , they did nothing , its all talk from the opposition fuck all will happen as usual.
    Politian's are all fucking spineless.

So we stick with this lot? They are worse.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Then Trump should sort that out the church issue with Saudi Arabia when he is negotiating arms deals with their royal family.

Just because some brown people say they want their laws here, you stereotype the whole community as ungrateful. There is a word for that.
    At University we rented a home and the Indian chap was making an absolute fortune from us who had all taken on loans to pay our rental costs. Yet, I cannot go to India and behave like this. It's hardly racism, it is a home truth and a valid comparison and has nothing to do with Donald Trump. 4 bedrooms cost us something like 800 pounds a month between us and you are talking a long time ago. I cannot remember exactly, but it was a lot. Now after years of immigration property prices are beyond reach for most and to go to Uni the debt levels are much higher. It is opportunism. Even if you could buy a house in India, you couldn't make the same in rent you can in the UK. How many properties are owned by foreigners in the UK? It is one reason prices are so high. Where can a Brit buy? He can move to China and marry a Chinese person and he is not even entitled to work. He can go to India and not be allowed to buy property. Foreigners going to the UK have it made.

Thread Information