www.fightnews.com

Taylor, Jennette triumph!

Sunday, May 13, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former cruiserweight contender turned light heavyweight Tiwon Taylor (27-12, 19 KOs) scored a third round TKO over veteran trial horse and late sub Karl Willis to win the vacant Universal Boxing Council America’s title on Saturday night at the Greensboro Coliseum Special Events Center in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Taylor started slow losing the first round while trying to feel out the aggressive Willis. In the second round he began to work behind the jab and started to control the action by the end of the round. In the third round a short right hand/left hook knocked down Willis for a nine count and left Willis’ left eye severely cut. When Willis got to his feet, he gamely rushed Taylor and threw a barrage of punches which Taylor was able to avoid before another well placed left hook left Willis on the deck for the second time. Willis again tried to initiate the action but again was caught by a good left hand and went down for the third time in the round prompting referee Bill Clancy to call a halt to the bout at 2:55 of the third round.

Cruiserweight prospect Paul Jennette (10-1, 8 KOs) rebounded from the only loss of his career by TKO'ing Robert Marsh in the fifth round of their scheduled six round bout. Jennette was in control the whole way hurting Marsh several times throughout the fight. Jennette's pressure was the key swarming Marsh from the opening bell and throwing an average of 90 punches per round.

Cruiserweight Chris Hairston (4-9-1) won a hard fought unanimous decision over Johnnie Walker (3-15, 3 KOs). Hairston used his jab and combination punching to keep Walker off balance all night long. Walker was able to land some big hooks and over hand rights in round three, his best round of the fight. But Hairston was able to weather the storm and come back with two solid three punch combinations the left Walker staggered.

Other results:
Sam Duggins TKO 3 Edward Gannaway
Sergey Kravchenko TKO1 Ed Edwards

Promoter: Walter Johnson Promotions

I go to the gym with Taylor and Paul Jeanette and I've been a sparring partner for Paul for a couple years.

My friends Mickey Osbourne and Derrick Agbo as well as former world champion Aaron 'Superman' Davis were supposed to fight on that same card but their fights didn't happen for whatever reason.

I want to just give a shout out to those guys and congratulate them on a job well done