Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Paul Williams Says Shane Mosley Must Be Smart To Win

WBO interim-junior middleweight champion Paul "The Punisher" Williams recently gave his thoughts on Shane Mosley's challenge of WBA welterweight titleholder Antonio Margarito.Speaking with Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports,Williams said Mosley would have to forget about power punching and focus on outworking and outboxing Margarito.Mosley needs to have the stamina to last twelve hard rounds and pile up the points.
    “When you hit him with your power shots and he’s not going anywhere,it can be frustrating, of course,” Williams said. “The important thing when you’re fighting Margarito is not even to worry about a knockout.You got to come in great shape and ready to fight 12 hard rounds.When you fight him,you’re going to be working the whole time,He’s got such a great chin.
    “The thing to do against him is just keep winning them rounds, putting them in the bank. If you’re not going to knock him out, then that’s how you win the fight. Believe in the plan and execute and stay with it.”
    Continued pressure is the key weapon of Margarito,but Williams was able to take it away when the two fighters clashed.He says Mosley can't afford to let Margarito get off with his punches.
    “Going into that fight, our plan was pretty clear and we knew how to deal with that pressure,” Williams said. “The whole thing was, don’t let him get off, and I didn’t. I’m not going to share that with anybody,but I knew from Day 1 in sparring that I would be able to stop him from getting off.
    “I’m sure Shane is going to take from what I did and some from what Cotto did and use that in his plan against Margarito.” whats your thoughts?
    Last edited by boricua; 01-24-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Paul Williams Says Shane Mosley Must Be Smart To Win

I don't think this will change the outcome of the fight, and that is MOsley losing, but I think he could cause Margarito some really problems if he moves a lot, I think Margarito is so slow in terms of movement he will have a hard time finding MOsley, Unfortunately MOsley isn't a great counter puncher, and doesn't really have the ability to box going backwards.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's right but I do not think it's in Mosley's temperment to fight Margarito like Williams did. Even Paul Williams fought dumb at times against Margarito, putting the first rounds away easily by keeping on the move and not getting flatfooted and staying on the move. It was a great fight he put on but when he lost rounds it's when he stayed put and got flatfooted. I have a feeling Mosley is going to try to beat Margarito like Santos did with crisp counterpunching and hope he has the power to slow Margarito down.

Should be a great fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    He's right but I do not think it's in Mosley's temperment to fight Margarito like Williams did. Even Paul Williams fought dumb at times against Margarito, putting the first rounds away easily by keeping on the move and not getting flatfooted and staying on the move. It was a great fight he put on but when he lost rounds it's when he stayed put and got flatfooted. I have a feeling Mosley is going to try to beat Margarito like Santos did with crisp counterpunching and hope he has the power to slow Margarito down.

Should be a great fight.
    this is going to be a great fight tonight

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well Ive officially worn a path in the living room carpet pacing and waiting for the opening Bell

Shane is pretty flat footed.Bottom line.....he will not win this moving and boxing all night.I dont think hes able to any longer and I dont think its his mindset.I think within 3 rounds there will be fire works and Shane Must 'fight' Tony in spots,turn him in close and work that body,keep him honest and off balance or Tony will steamroll him.Margarito does nothing But get stronger and better as the rounds mount......and yes,Mosley should steel himself and be prepared to take some hits in return.VIVA MARGARITO

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well if you cant beat the chin, take to the temple; jab on the move just for measure and counter hook and cross as he comes for it about the only hope to slow up someone like that.
    Shanes got a chance early if he catches him comming forwards right on target off some of his early angles.
    I doubt it'll happen, but be great to see.
    Go Shane.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think if Shane wants to beat Margarito he's going to need to find a way to get some concrete in his gloves, literally.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post
    Well Ive officially worn a path in the living room carpet pacing and waiting for the opening Bell

Shane is pretty flat footed.Bottom line.....he will not win this moving and boxing all night.I dont think hes able to any longer and I dont think its his mindset.I think within 3 rounds there will be fire works and Shane Must 'fight' Tony in spots,turn him in close and work that body,keep him honest and off balance or Tony will steamroll him.Margarito does nothing But get stronger and better as the rounds mount......and yes,Mosley should steel himself and be prepared to take some hits in return.VIVA MARGARITO
    He moved and boxed 12 rounds against Mayorga. He isn't that flat footed, he is just doesn't have smooth footwork and thats why Cotto and others were able to catch him. I mean he doesn't need to move a whole lot, but when he isn't moving he has to be punching or tying Marg up. Also if he can keep off the ropes, Margarito is terrible at throwing punches at range, he needs to be on the inside, if Mosley can keep the distance I think he is still fast enough and good enough defensively not to get hit by huge punches.

Also Magarito has a weak body, and maybe Mosley can hurt him downstairs.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post

He moved and boxed 12 rounds against Mayorga. He isn't that flat footed, he is just doesn't have smooth footwork and thats why Cotto and others were able to catch him. I mean he doesn't need to move a whole lot, but when he isn't moving he has to be punching or tying Marg up. Also if he can keep off the ropes, Margarito is terrible at throwing punches at range, he needs to be on the inside, if Mosley can keep the distance I think he is still fast enough and good enough defensively not to get hit by huge punches.

Also Magarito has a weak body, and maybe Mosley can hurt him downstairs.
    Sorry bro but I didn't see him pulling no vintage boxing display with Mayorga .He was loading up,making a statement and standing in with Mayorga.He was fighting Mayorgas elbows,head and shoulders as well as his fist lol.Shane needs to get inside of Tonys range,hard rights when Tony paws that jab out and launching long uppercuts.I dont know if he has the legs to dart in and be walked around in the clinches,Call me nuts but I think he has to jump Tony in spots and early.Wouldnt say Tony has a weak body....hes been cracked and dropped there many,many moons ago but he also got up to win.I think both are suseptable to Body damage.I mean...who isn't?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bro, I just watched the fight, it wasn't shot for shot type fight at all. Mayorga was barely landing anything.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bro, I just watched the fight, it wasn't shot for shot type fight at all. Mayorga was barely landing anything.
    No,not a shot for shot foreman/lyle type affair but Mosley was not putting on a boxing 101 clinic.That was a very ugly fight and Mosley wanted to put hurt on him,he was loading up quite a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

just a few more hours lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No,not a shot for shot foreman/lyle type affair but Mosley was not putting on a boxing 101 clinic.That was a very ugly fight and Mosley wanted to put hurt on him,he was loading up quite a bit.
    He was loading up, but my point is that he wasn't just sticking around to get hit. He was moving a lot, keep out of range.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was loading up, but my point is that he wasn't just sticking around to get hit. He was moving a lot, keep out of range.
    I hear you dude.Your right,,Shanes a smooth operator.Both two good class guys,down to earth....hate to see one loss.But Im sure Mosley will bounce back afterwards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    I think if Shane wants to beat Margarito he's going to need to find a way to get some concrete in his gloves, literally.

Its funny that Margarito is the one who tried to pull that off. And Mosley didnt even need any concrete to ko Tony. So much for tonys granite chin

Thread Information