Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Else Think Vitali Klitschko Is Overrated ?

Share/Bookmark
    jon09 Guest

Default Re: Does Anyone Else Think Vitali Klitschko Is Overrated ?

No way is he overrated. He would handle the best of any era and the only heavyweights I see that would give him a problem would have been Lewis, Foreman and Ali. Hell I have never seen him knocked down or really ever hurt.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thinking about it now I tihnk it is a bit harsh to say vitali is overrated he is 40 and looking his age now and to be fair one by quite a large margin.. I dont think he is the sort of boxer who would knock out guys with just one punch he always seemed to me like someone who just wears the opponent down with multiple hard shots so i think getting older is going to affect quite badly with the style he has..

I think most of I am guilty of greatly underestimating chisora he was very good I only watched him v fury so I just assumed he was terrible but I see why some people hype him up so much, if he can control his madness and eating(and not get banned for his antics in this fight) I think he has a great chance to be a future world champion, if he ever fights haye(obviously wont happen due to haye only looking for vitali) and comes in with the condition he had last night I woudl bet on him to win that.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jon09 View Post
    No way is he overrated. He would handle the best of any era and the only heavyweights I see that would give him a problem would have been Lewis, Foreman and Ali. Hell I have never seen him knocked down or really ever hurt.
    Wow really ? see these type of comments are the one's im on about. Handle any Heavyweight in history based on what exactly ? beating Samuel Peter ? don't make me laugh.

Even Heavyweight nearly men like Razor Ruddock, Tony Tucker, would of beat anyone on Vitali Klitschko's resume easily.

And there's also plenty of past Heavyweight's who would have a great chance of beating Vitali Klitschko.

Larry Holmes
    Tim Witherspoon
    Muhammad Ali
    George Foreman
    Mike Tyson
    Joe Frazier
    Riddick Bowe

ETC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he is overrated as hell he looks impressive beating bums has lost to the two best fighters he fought and the first time a bum was not intimidated by him he looks awful. He's the best of a bad bunch.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well i love how people getting on Vitali about this fight but totally forget how old the man is. As for piye i find it funny that you call any fighter overrated when your Tyson fan the man has old Holmes who had not fought for few years. Still i say Tyson was better can crusher then Vitali is makes it fun to watch. As for you ice no one here has said Vitali would win they said he could hang do you not think so. Also aren't you a Holmes fan his resume is a joke dude he as a faded Norton on the top of his list that is it. Hes a great fighter but come on you shit on Vitali for no reason it seems do you not like him or something or are you seeing the old school fighters in a light that they can not be beat. I mean you don't think there size alone would be a problem for the old school heavyweights i sure as hell do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Klitschko is NOT overrated, he is 40 years old. It's an absolute fantastic achievement that he's still even competing at the top of what is admittedly a weak HW division. I think he is very close to the end though. Vitali that caused Lennox serious problems would have had Chisora asleep in 2 rounds.

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    I haven't been following boxing for awhile but where was Dereck Chisora ranked ? he won atleast 4 rounds bullied Vitali Klitschko for most of the fight, and kept coming forward. Vitali Klitschko's resume is basically built on losing to an unfit Lennox Lewis.

Discuss.
    The reason why people say Vitali is over-rated is because he doesn't look good to the eye. But boxing is not a beauty contest. I get the feeling that Vitali is one of them fighters that looks beatable on the outside but once you get in the ring with him you realise how awkward and difficult he is to beat.

We are in an era were really talented heavyweights are thin on the ground. Had Vitali been around 24 years ago in the Tyson era or before that in the Ali era, then yeah sure, never mind Ali, Foreman, Norton, Frazier.... Vitali would have been beat by the likes Joe Bugner.

But were not.

Do I think he is over-rated ? NO

The reality is Vitali would not get in a lot of people's all time top 10, 20, even 30 list of great heavyweights.

Yes. He is mechanical. He does have poor footwork. He can't punch going backwards. He can't fight 12 hard rounds anymore. He is getting old and the only serious punch he has is to set them up with jab then over hand right.

But name me one fighter in the world who would go in there as favourite to beat him ?

I can't think of one.

As I said earlier I think that says more about the current standard of heavies than Vitali

jon09 Guest

Wow really ? see these type of comments are the one's im on about. Handle any Heavyweight in history based on what exactly ? beating Samuel Peter ? don't make me laugh.

Even Heavyweight nearly men like Razor Ruddock, Tony Tucker, would of beat anyone on Vitali Klitschko's resume easily.

And there's also plenty of past Heavyweight's who would have a great chance of beating Vitali Klitschko.

Larry Holmes
    Tim Witherspoon
    Muhammad Ali
    George Foreman
    Mike Tyson
    Joe Frazier
    Riddick Bowe

ETC.
    Holmes had a pretty soft era as well. Witherspoon really? Vital has manhandled just about everyone they have put in front of him. Tyson would make it interesting for the first few rounds and then lose it mentally later. Bowe if motivated and with Futch could make it interesting. Frazier would probably give him fits with the head movement and quick left hook but would get taken out eventually. He would destroy Ruddock and Tucker. We can go on and on but its all opinion and speculation. I standby what I said and feel he beats most of them.

ICB Guest

Larry Holmes
    Tim Witherspoon
    Muhammad Ali
    George Foreman
    Mike Tyson
    Joe Frazier
    Riddick Bowe

ETC.
    Holmes had a pretty soft era as well. Witherspoon really? Vital has manhandled just about everyone they have put in front of him. Tyson would make it interesting for the first few rounds and then lose it mentally later. Bowe if motivated and with Futch could make it interesting. Frazier would probably give him fits with the head movement and quick left hook but would get taken out eventually. He would destroy Ruddock and Tucker. We can go on and on but its all opinion and speculation. I standby what I said and feel he beats most of them.
    It's easy to manhandle opponents like Samuel Peter, Tomasz Adamek, again i ask you who has Vitali Klitschko beaten that make's you think he can handle any ATG Heavyweight ?

Because all i see on his record is a bunch of bums and mediocre fighter's, has he actually beaten any Heavyweight you would class as even good ?

The two best fighter's he fought he lost to, forgetting the cirumstance's with the cuts or injuries or whatever, the fact is he lost twice. And has not beaten anyone really that good and that is the truth.

You can say Larry Holmes was in a weak era, but give me Gerry Cooney, Earnie Shavers x2, Ken Norton, Tim Witherspoon, over the likes of Juan Carlos Gomez, Tomasz Adamek, Samuel Peter.

I just don't see anything special when i watch Vitali Klitschko, and he prolly has the worst record out of any long reigning Heavyweight Champion, and is for the certain in the weakest Heavyweight era of all time.

jon09 Guest

Larry Holmes
    Tim Witherspoon
    Muhammad Ali
    George Foreman
    Mike Tyson
    Joe Frazier
    Riddick Bowe

ETC.
    It's easy to manhandle opponents like Samuel Peter, Tomasz Adamek, again i ask you who has Vitali Klitschko beaten that make's you think he can handle any ATG Heavyweight ?

Because all i see on his record is a bunch of bums and mediocre fighter's, has he actually beaten any Heavyweight you would class as even good ?

The two best fighter's he fought he lost to, forgetting the cirumstance's with the cuts or injuries or whatever, the fact is he lost twice. And has not beaten anyone really that good and that is the truth.

You can say Larry Holmes was in a weak era, but give me Gerry Cooney, Earnie Shavers x2, Ken Norton, Tim Witherspoon, over the likes of Juan Carlos Gomez, Tomasz Adamek, Samuel Peter.

I just don't see anything special when i watch Vitali Klitschko, and he prolly has the worst record out of any long reigning Heavyweight Champion, and is for the certain in the weakest Heavyweight era of all time.
    Okay every era has their who has he beaten for greatness. Ill match your Cooney with Sanders whom I think is underated. Norton is crap who made his name off of Ali. Sam Peter was a big name until he met the bros and got demolished mentally. Adamek is one helluva boxer and got pummeled. Areola was undefeated and got battered until he cried. Briggs and Larry Donald all had credibility at 1 point. He breaks fighters up and down until they look like they were nothing to begin with. Vitali is 1 of the most intimidating fighters ever and I will miss him when he is gone.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If someone said he could beat the ATGs then I would say he's being overrated but right now him and his brother are the best so I don't think he's overrated in this era. He looked old last night that's all.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

ICB Guest

Larry Holmes
    Tim Witherspoon
    Muhammad Ali
    George Foreman
    Mike Tyson
    Joe Frazier
    Riddick Bowe

ETC.

Okay every era has their who has he beaten for greatness. Ill match your Cooney with Sanders whom I think is underated. Norton is crap who made his name off of Ali. Sam Peter was a big name until he met the bros and got demolished mentally. Adamek is one helluva boxer and got pummeled. Areola was undefeated and got battered until he cried. Briggs and Larry Donald all had credibility at 1 point. He breaks fighters up and down until they look like they were nothing to begin with. Vitali is 1 of the most intimidating fighters ever and I will miss him when he is gone.
    How can you give credit to guys like Donald, Briggs, and call Norton crap ?

Shannon Briggs ? the guy who got a robbery decision vs a 100 year old George Foreman ? the guy who was beaten up by Botha, Fields, McCline, Wilson ? the same guy who has asthma and is probably the worst belt holder in the history of the Heavyweight division ? and the same guy who's best days were in the early 2000s late 90s ? not 2010 when Klitschko fought him ?

Larry Donald was ok but his best days were behind him, the only thing i remember about Larry Donald was running like a rabbit vs Riddick Bowe, he had some ability but again i just felt he was very mediocre.

I'll give you Samuel Peter who was a name at the time, but again he was very overrated. He basically made his name beating a very overweight and shot James Toney, and somehow getting credit for 3 knockdowns over Wladimir Klitschko, when they were all rabbit shots and not legit knockdowns what so ever. But since losing to Klitschko he's lost to guys like Chambers, Heleinius. As i said an overhyped winging puncher who was average.

You can call Ken Norton crap all you want, but he arguably should of won 2 out of 3 vs Muhammad Ali, gave a prime Larry Holmes a very tough fight, beat up Jerry Quarry, Duane Bobick, and defeated Jimmy Young who was fresh off upsetting George Foreman. Guys like Shannon Briggs could only dream of achieving that.

Lasty as for Corrie Sanders he was a part time boxer, he liked playing golf too much. But i'll agree with you that Corrie Sanders was talented, and Vitali Klitschko does deserve credit for beating him. But i feel Corrie Sanders could of been better had he concentrated more on boxing.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ICB Complete this sentence

These 10 heavyweights had BETTER resumes than Vitali __________________ .
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    ICB Complete this sentence

These 10 heavyweights had BETTER resumes than Vitali __________________ .
    Or you could ask who among the ATG had a worse resume then Vitali. That is the issue, people are all insisting he is an ATG. Name one ATG he could beat as easily as the nobodies he has fought? in fact name one ATG he could beat? Guys like Frazier,Norton, Ali, Foreman, Shavers,Holmes these guys are not recognised as ATG's on the basis of one tricky fight against a vastly inferior opponent. They earned their reputations in a series of wars in which their greatness was revealed, not one sided beat downs against B-class opponents.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vitali is what he is, the best heavyweight of his era , cant do much more than that really . He just looked his age last night.

Thread Information