Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What if Castillo doesnt make the weight??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What if Castillo doesnt make the weight??

Just wondering what if Castillo does not make the weight this weekend? Ricky has already been quoted saying that if Castillo does not make the weight then he will not fight him. I cant see it happening again to Castillo because if it did surely that would be his career over?
    Nothings Sweeter Than Sugar

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What if Castillo doesnt make the weight??

Was just about to post this as it goes
    www.itv.com

Ricky Hatton has warned Jose Luis Castillo he will walk away from their Saturday superfight in Las Vegas if the Mexican fails to hit the 140lbs light-welterweight limit.

Castillo has been dogged by weight problems in the past, most notably when he failed to make the weight for two projected showdowns against lightweight rival Diego Corrales.

And with worries about Castillo's weight still uppermost in many minds despite his move up a division, Hatton vowed: "If he doesn't get down to 140lbs then the fight is off."

Hatton does not want to make the same mistake as Corrales, who rashly agreed to go ahead with his second fight against the overweight Castillo in October 2005, only to suffer a fourth-round knockout defeat.

Hatton added: "His track record is struggling to make the weight but at the end of the day he has got to do it this time or promoters and television companies won't want to know him.

"For all the great fights he has been in, and the reputation he has built for being such a great fighter, if he doesn't make the weight he'll only be remembered for what he did on the scales."

Castillo looked in good shape as he performed his final public workout at the Top Rank gym on Wednesday, indicating he was currently a comfortable three pounds over the limit.

Hatton would be wiser to shut out Castillo's imminent meeting with the scales and concentrate on his own final preparations in this baking desert city.

After scraping home in what were by his own admission unimpressive performances against Luis Collazo and Juan Urango, he knows he can ill afford to be anything but dazzling this weekend.

"I'm not saying I took Collazo or Urango lightly but with all due respect they were not big names and perhaps without realising it I got a bit complacent," added Hatton.

"But because I am fighting the guy who I am fighting, I think without realising it I will find a bit extra. I've been walking around snarling for two weeks and I didn't have that for my last two fights."

Hatton's trainer Billy Graham certainly subscribes to the view that his charge's extra work will enable him to enter the ring for his biggest test in the best shape of his career.

Graham said: "He is faster and sharper and I am convinced this is the kind of fight that will bring out the best of both of them. Their styles are going to gel and I have a feeling it is going to be a really special night."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

castillo will make the weight this time round. it sounds like he is really up for this fight and has trained like a mad man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's only failed twice has'nt he and he made lightwelter limit in his last fight did'nt he or am i wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TYSONBRUNO
    He's only failed twice has'nt he and he made lightwelter limit in his last fight did'nt he or am i wrong

He made 140 in his last fight, and he allegedly weighted 147 a few days ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerharvey
    Just wondering what if Castillo does not make the weight this weekend? Ricky has already been quoted saying that if Castillo does not make the weight then he will not fight him. I cant see it happening again to Castillo because if it did surely that would be his career over?
    I hope he makes weight. This has the potential to be a great fight. My guess is there is no way he does not make weight. With Corrales in the second fight, maybe part of him didn't want to deal with another war like he had with Diego.. So he put up an obstacle and got an advantage. But I agree with Hatton saying he will walk away. In situations like that they should have another fighter on the side as an alternate to fight just in case so all the training which Hatton goes through does not go out the window. Even if the style would be different and he trained for Castillo, having an alternate would at least be something to consider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by the wiz
    Quote Originally Posted by TYSONBRUNO

He made 140 in his last fight, and he allegedly weighted 147 a few days ago.
    I heard 146 last wednesday, should be ok.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton should take the fight anyway and prove hes a warrior.

JLC should retire if he doesn't make weight. IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Castillo is a pro. he was just telling himself he could do something his body couldn't do any more. He'll make 140.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wonder if Ricky is bluffing a bit though... I mean if Castillo weighs in at 142, 143, whatever, that's the pits and very unproffesional... But it's hardly as though Hatton can just walk away without consequence... This is his last fight on his current HBO contract, and Castillo is the only marquee name out there at jr welter.. Id be surprised if Castillo didn't make weight as the stakes are so high, but Id be almost just as surprised if he didn't and then Hatton walked away.. THey both really, really need to impress in this fight.. And if Hatton took the fight anyways and still won he'd only deserve more credit for the win and would really show a fighters spirit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Castillo will make weight easy he was 139 in his last fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Castillo made weight last time for a relative unknown, no way will he fail to make weight for Hatton fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    I wonder if Ricky is bluffing a bit though... I mean if Castillo weighs in at 142, 143, whatever, that's the pits and very unproffesional... But it's hardly as though Hatton can just walk away without consequence... This is his last fight on his current HBO contract, and Castillo is the only marquee name out there at jr welter.. Id be surprised if Castillo didn't make weight as the stakes are so high, but Id be almost just as surprised if he didn't and then Hatton walked away.. THey both really, really need to impress in this fight.. And if Hatton took the fight anyways and still won he'd only deserve more credit for the win and would really show a fighters spirit.
    I agree with Hatton he should walk if Castillo is not at 140. Castillo had the time to make the weight and if he can't then Hatton should walk. They knew the rules. In light of the fact of what happened with Corrales, Hatton knows how Castillo tried this before. The excuses are always there. Guys like Roberto Duran will always have the excuses after they lose, but if a guy is given a proper training time he should be on target.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    Hatton should take the fight anyway and prove hes a warrior.

JLC should retire if he doesn't make weight. IMO.
    We won't know what Hatton will actually do until the weigh-in actually happens.

OF COURSE Hatton is going to say right now that he won't fight unless Castillo makes weight. Because if he admits ahead of time that he'll fight Castillo no matter what, then Castillo knows that he doesn't really need to make weight. Castillo doesn't care about the belt at stake, it's the payday that matters. If he knows Hatton will still fight even if he weighs more than 140, then why would he kill himself to make weight?

Hatton is playing this the right way. Because, now Castillo has it in his head that he needs to make weight or there's no fight. And on the other side, if Castillo doesn't make weight, and Hatton "changes his mind" and decides to fight anyway, then good ol' Ricky Hatton comes off looking brave and like a hero, because he fought even when he said he wouldn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah... Castillo could screw this all up, haha forget Gary Shaw!

Thread Information