Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will there ever be a 6ft tall and under HW Champ ever again?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Will there ever be a 6ft tall and under HW Champ ever again?

Or is it the era where guys 6 ft 5 and over just are too big, too skilled, too powerful and too quick?

I liked the smaller HWs- Tyson, Holyfield, Dokes, Weaver... etc.... even though Dokes was listed at 6 ft 3, he looked more like a good 6 ft 1.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will there ever be a 6ft tall and under HW Champ ever again?

I think so

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If there is to be then he will need to have power, speed, durable and a solid defence to beat these giants today.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Probably one to pick up a belt at some point but being the true champ is less likely.

Bigger people are becoming more coordinated in all aspects of life. If there happens to be a lull with no big, fit, coordinated people there's a window. But some 6'5+ guy will come along again and simply be too big.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    If there is to be then he will need to have power, speed, durable and a solid defence to beat these giants today.
    No shit Sherlock! 😉

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    No shit Sherlock! 😉
    You practice being a cunt or does it come naturally.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No shit Sherlock! 😉
    It's easy when you give me the material that you do.😂

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No shit Sherlock! 😉
    It's easy when you give me the material that you do.😂
    You are welcome. I set them up, you hit them out of the park.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike Tyson was the last of the short HW terrors.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Ron Said it right.. Based on the numbers, its not likely.

There are just big guys trying to capitalize in all sports across the board. There are some places where you probably wont find them... like as a jockey, moto gp and other places where their size is a detriment. But just because they're are big and athletic, doesn't mean they have the spirit, mental toughness (*cough* Mccall*cough*) or spirit to conquer the world... Ask michael grant. That being said all it takes is the right punch at the right time to be the champ. Just have to find a guy that knows how to maximizes his chances.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wrote this thinking about Povetkin in particular. I just don't think he can do it. I really don't think he can do it. Sure, he nearly decapitated Duhappas and mugged Wach, but can he really reach a good big guy?

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    I wrote this thinking about Povetkin in particular. I just don't think he can do it. I really don't think he can do it. Sure, he nearly decapitated Duhappas and mugged Wach, but can he really reach a good big guy?
    povetkin is 6 foot 2. so he is a bit bigger than 6 feet or under, but anyway he could certainly beat parker and would be in with a very good chance of beating wilder. I wouldn't give him 0 chance of beating joshua either but povetkin is pretty open to a jab and getting hit straight down the middle(isnt great at moving his head), so I would think joshua would land something big and blow him up at some time. You make a good point though as povetkin is a talented fellow who has had a good career, 2 time euro amateur chamapion, world amateur champ and olympic gold he held the fake wba title too for a while but his biggest(haha) problem would be the height of his opposition, you could also out that down to his fighting style too though. Povetkin could easily win a world title, maybe two but I doubt he would be undiputed champ.. it is possible for someone povetkins height to be undisputed champ though, certainly not easy but being smaller and around 220 lbs has some advantages at heavyweight in my opinion(it is very difficult to fuel 250 lbs of muscle for 12 rounds ), I also thing really good big guys are pretty rare, for every joshua, wlad/vitali you get a load of dimentrenkos, wachs and valuevs :S

but all of that is not what is holding povetkin back, he does have a bad habit of failing drug tests :S(although I think the first one might have been very hars)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    povetkin is 6 foot 2. so he is a bit bigger than 6 feet or under, but anyway he could certainly beat parker and would be in with a very good chance of beating wilder. I wouldn't give him 0 chance of beating joshua either but povetkin is pretty open to a jab and getting hit straight down the middle(isnt great at moving his head), so I would think joshua would land something big and blow him up at some time. You make a good point though as povetkin is a talented fellow who has had a good career, 2 time euro amateur chamapion, world amateur champ and olympic gold he held the fake wba title too for a while but his biggest(haha) problem would be the height of his opposition, you could also out that down to his fighting style too though. Povetkin could easily win a world title, maybe two but I doubt he would be undiputed champ.. it is possible for someone povetkins height to be undisputed champ though, certainly not easy but being smaller and around 220 lbs has some advantages at heavyweight in my opinion(it is very difficult to fuel 250 lbs of muscle for 12 rounds ), I also thing really good big guys are pretty rare, for every joshua, wlad/vitali you get a load of dimentrenkos, wachs and valuevs :S

but all of that is not what is holding povetkin back, he does have a bad habit of failing drug tests :S(although I think the first one might have been very hars)
    I know, but Povetkin still looks like a small 6 ft 2 too. Sorta like Dokes who looked closer to the 6ft mark than he did the 6 ft 3 mark. Guys who are not giants, by any stretch.

Hidden Content

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Mike Tyson was the last of the short HW terrors.
    I believe there will be another shorter heavyweight champion of the world again. I think a few things will happen...

#1 taller more athletic fighters will start to trend to MMA because the UFC won't be able to keep the wages of their fighters depressed and boxing is going to ebb even more.

#2 not every single tall fighter has the skill and hand eye coordionation of Lennox, Wlad, Vitali, or AJ and eventually a shorter quicker puncher will emerge on top.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sitting here racking my brain and it's hard to imagine. Not that shorter types cannot 'compete' it's just that most heavies today are just bigger, taller and a dime a dozen. Though as Lyle ^ mentioned, certainly not better. It's just sheer numbers of 6'2 to 6'7 guys walking out of every small town and random Countries all over the globe. I remember in the later 90's of course top heavyweights were more centered in the U.S so there were a few pundits trying to push a 'super heavyweight' division ironically when we started seeing guys like Michael Grant, Gonzalez, McCline, Vitali and Wlad came around. The cream rose to the top there on skills not pure size. Should we see another 5'11 or less fighter with the speed and ferocity of a Tyson no doubt we'll see another champion but until then it's hard enough just to think of one who has made any kind of run at it at all. Sherman Williams . There was a Russian built like a brick shat house who lost to Jennings last year who came back and went on a decent run but disappeared. May take another guy moving up from cruiserweight but the height remains mostly.

Thread Information