Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Past fights and recent fights without the Marquess of Queensbury rules.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Past fights and recent fights without the Marquess of Queensbury rules.

As most of us know the Heavyweight title match Between John L Sullivan and James J Corbett was the first to be fought under the Marquess of Queensbury rules, but ive always wondered how past fights and recent fights would have played out if the intervention of these rules hadnt happened. What do you guys think, and what fights immediately come to mind when you consider this idea?
    Last edited by Hoggmeister; 05-30-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Modern fighters against past greats without the Queensbury rules.

Quote Originally Posted by pavlikfan View Post
    As most of us know the Heavyweight title match Between John L Sullivan and James J Corbett was the first to be fought under the Marquess of Queensbury rules, but ive always wondered how past fights and recent fights would have played out if the intervention of these rules hadnt happened. What do you guys think, and what fights immediately come to mind when you consider this idea?
    Mike Tyson would have probably beaten them all lol, biting, twisting arms, etc. it'd be crazy lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Modern fighters against past greats without the Queensbury rules.

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    Mike Tyson would have probably beaten them all lol, biting, twisting arms, etc. it'd be crazy lol

I wish somehow Tyson and Jack Johnson could have fought
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Past fights and recent fights without the Marquess of Queensbury rules.

Yeah Tyson would have been the man IMO. Could you imagine a fight between Tyson and Liston under these curcumstances? WOW!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Past fights and recent fights without the Marquess of Queensbury rules.

Yeah Tyson would have been the man IMO. Could you imagine a fight between Tyson and Liston under these curcumstances? WOW!
    honestly they'd kill each other

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree 100%. What about Morales vs Barrera, or Ward vs Gatti! It scares me to think about it!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree 100%. What about Morales vs Barrera, or Ward vs Gatti! It scares me to think about it!
    due to their real hate towards each other, i think the same as Tyson/Liston, what about Hagler/Hearns without the gloves

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Somehow I think B Hop would be able to handle himself against any opposition.

Duran would be a beast
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Somehow I think B Hop would be able to handle himself against any opposition.

Duran would be a beast
    no doubt, gotta throw Mayorga and Chavez in the mix also

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    due to their real hate towards each other, i think the same as Tyson/Liston, what about Hagler/Hearns without the gloves
    Hagler vs Hearns without gloves wouldve had tragic consequences no doubt about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

what is the Marquess of Queensbury rules ?
    ''He will not cower,he will not cry,for to be called a cur he would rather die. A cur and a fighter are not the same. A cur is a quitter,but a fighter is game''

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Those two would still be at it !!!
    How many guys in the game have been stopped when they were knocked down and looked capable of going on but a ref jumped in, same for the three knockdown, some decent people have been knocked all over when caught cold and stoped on a TKO.

Remember that those fights in the day before the rules had 50(and a lot more) rounds but a round could be 10 seconds if that's what it took to knock someone down, then there was also no neutral corner so when you did get your knees off ground down you went cause the guy is standing over you, so its another round.

Ah the good ol' days

Thread Information