2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Calzaghe powers on wane, says Piper

Calzaghe powers on wane, says Piper

Jun 7 2008 by Delme Parfitt, South Wales Echo

JOE Calzaghe’s powers are on the wane and he looks ready to call it a day, according to Nicky Piper.

“Joe is a fantastic fighter, who has done great things, but his time is almost done now,” said Piper.

“I saw signs of it even against Mikkel Kessler last November.

“Physically, he looks smaller than for some time, but I think it’s the mental side of things that is more of an issue with Joe.

“I think his hunger is leaving him and when that happens it never comes back.

“He is talking about one more fight, but I would question whether he still has the ambition to perform at his best.”

And Piper stressed that it is the desire that counts.

“I wonder how Joe feels about the game at the moment,” he said. “How many bullets does he have left to fire?”

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe powers on wane, says Piper

I would agree with all that.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One more big fight and he will retire, the signs are there that the hunger is not there.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Then make it against Jones or Pavlik. Really can't see how he couldn't get up to fight one of those two... Well get up as in sign the contract. Obviously going into the fight he'd have to take either dead seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Then make it against Jones or Pavlik. Really can't see how he couldn't get up to fight one of those two... Well get up as in sign the contract. Obviously going into the fight he'd have to take either dead seriously.
    Preferably Pavlik. The way he embarrassed the Calzaghe camp is enough for Joe to get in the ring. I think Pavlik made it some what know he wants Joe Calzaghe. I feel Joe will run. This fight tonight reminded me of the Cotto - Gomez fight . It was a one sided dissection. A sparring session. It was very painful. I cannot blame Enzo for tossing it in. He was protecting his guy. The last thing we need is another guy getting hurt or killed. That is a thought that still lingers in the mind of us northeast Ohioans with the Ray Mancini Duk Koo Kim tragedy.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southakron314 View Post
    Preferably Pavlik. The way he embarrassed the Calzaghe camp is enough for Joe to get in the ring. I think Pavlik made it some what know he wants Joe Calzaghe. I feel Joe will run. This fight tonight reminded me of the Cotto - Gomez fight . It was a one sided dissection. A sparring session. It was very painful. I cannot blame Enzo for tossing it in. He was protecting his guy. The last thing we need is another guy getting hurt or killed. That is a thought that still lingers in the mind of us northeast Ohioans with the Ray Mancini Duk Koo Kim tragedy.
    I hear, and partly agree with what your saying.. I just think stylistically Jones will pose more of a problem for Calzaghe than Pavlik does. If you honestly think Pavlik will have a "sparring session" with Calzaghe I fear you are direly mistaken. Not that Pavlik isn't an excellent fighter who'll give Joe a hell of a fight, it's just that he's a bit slow to really outbox Calzaghe. I feel he definetly has a punchers chance, but he'd probably be more hard pressed to land his right hand on Calzaghe than Jones Jr would be. Though Jones is quite old, he stil has a far less predictable attack than Pavlik, and imo has more chance of catching Calzaghe off guard then Pavlik does. I'd really give Pavlik much less of a chance at beating Calzaghe than Jones would, even with their respective ages. I don't think JOe wants anythin to do with Roy Jones even today. Don't take the Lockett fight tonight to mean much of anything, Roy Jones or anyone in the weight range worth a damn would've Ko'ed Locket in a similar frame, he just wasn't a top fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southakron314 View Post
    I hear, and partly agree with what your saying.. I just think stylistically Jones will pose more of a problem for Calzaghe than Pavlik does. If you honestly think Pavlik will have a "sparring session" with Calzaghe I fear you are direly mistaken. Not that Pavlik isn't an excellent fighter who'll give Joe a hell of a fight, it's just that he's a bit slow to really outbox Calzaghe. I feel he definetly has a punchers chance, but he'd probably be more hard pressed to land his right hand on Calzaghe than Jones Jr would be. Though Jones is quite old, he stil has a far less predictable attack than Pavlik, and imo has more chance of catching Calzaghe off guard then Pavlik does. I'd really give Pavlik much less of a chance at beating Calzaghe than Jones would, even with their respective ages. I don't think JOe wants anythin to do with Roy Jones even today. Don't take the Lockett fight tonight to mean much of anything, Roy Jones or anyone in the weight range worth a damn would've Ko'ed Locket in a similar frame, he just wasn't a top fighter.
    I still say Pavlik knocks Joe out. Jones is at a down fall piont of his career. Has lost 3 of his last six and two by knockout. I think instead of saying Roy Jones is unpredictable you should say he was unpredictable with his attack. Why do fans of his only want to see him fight has beens ?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    I would agree with all that.
    I dont

Joes last two fights have been his best wins. He is on the best run of his career. Pipers talking rubbish yet again cuz he is the forgotten Welshman .

Thread Information