Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Holyfield v Douglas. Gary Mason Called it

I watched Holyfield v Douglas again last night, just refreshing my memory as to how out of shape Douglas was.

I always remember Gary Mason calling the fight early but didn't realise how early - watch it, the fight starts around the 8th minute. The other commentator tries to cover up his comments saying it's too early to call it but Gary insists he's willing to put his neck on the line.

Good call Gary and RIP mate ! Not sure Sky used you again though

ps my fucking youtube link probably won't work embedded directly so Master will have to fix it and then not tell me what I'm doing wrong in the first place
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Holyfield v Douglas. Gary Mason Called it

It's amazing how quick Douglas went to shit after pulling off the biggest win in boxing history. He showed up 15lbs heavier than he did against Tyson and that lead uppercut was just dumb as hell.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't think Douglas looked that poor at all. Always surprises me looking back at these fights, I imagine Douglas to look like an obese sumo wrestler with all the criticism he's gone down in history with - ate himself out of the title, didn't train and whatnot - but compared to the heavyweights today he looked perfectly normal sized. He also looked quicker and more fluid with his hands and feet than most modern heavyweights his size.

Holyfield at 208 looked electric although a titch.

Mason & Duff went from saying Holyfield will win easy to no-one expected the knockout, even though the other commentator told us during the ringwalk that Duff betted on Holyfield to win by KO Leonard as the MC, Las Vegas carpark with the hotel lit up in the background. Good stuff.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holyfield was a machine that night and I would have loved to see this version of Stander against the Buster that beat Tyson or Mike himself at his best.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Douglas still had plenty of awareness in this fight.

Although Jab poor compared to Tucker and Tyson fights.

Wow, Gary Mason called it with the first exchanges.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vidgil View Post
    It's amazing how quick Douglas went to shit after pulling off the biggest win in boxing history. He showed up 15lbs heavier than he did against Tyson and that lead uppercut was just dumb as hell.
    1. He dedicated the Tyson fight to his mother who had recently passed away...you see that kind of (and God this is trite) "inspired performance" when a boxer has dedicated a fight to a loved one.

2. Holyfield feinted him right into that lead uppercut....just picture perfect upper body movement and footwork paired with a beautifully timed counter. It was a homerun swing from Douglas and Holyfield capitalized brilliantly.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vidgil View Post
    1. He dedicated the Tyson fight to his mother who had recently passed away...you see that kind of (and God this is trite) "inspired performance" when a boxer has dedicated a fight to a loved one.

2. Holyfield feinted him right into that lead uppercut....just picture perfect upper body movement and footwork paired with a beautifully timed counter. It was a homerun swing from Douglas and Holyfield capitalized brilliantly.
    It was a good shot but Buster could have got up. He took a bigger shot against Tyson.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    It was a good shot but Buster could have got up. He took a bigger shot against Tyson.
    True, but there's also that light bulb that went off in Buster's head as he lay there on the canvas "That dude just walked me right into that punch....what do I even do to stop that?". Plus it was the 8th round when Tyson finally rocked Buster not the 2nd.

I understand that when a fighter hits the canvas a lot of stuff can be flooding their minds there's fear, there's humility, there's anger, there's confusion, but worst of all the little ember of a thought "I can't beat this guy" gets a breath of oxygen and in the 2nd round with the fight or flight response up and running that's something that can completely shut a fighter down. It's not about WILL, it's not about GUTS, it's not about EFFORT, it's about your brain sapping all of your energy and keeping you safe from a continued beating.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's was a great flashback, hadn't watched in years. Thanks for that Mark. I look at a current heavyweight champ who fights like a new born giraffe and then re watch how polished, poised and sharp Holyfield was here and just want to hit rewind . Douglas wasn't all bad physically and Mason nailed it early with his mental set up. Forgot how accurate the Evander left hook was in 1st and buzzing Douglas pretty good.

El Kabong Guest

If you were to take 1 fighter to box against an unknown style, an unknown great, Joe Louis or Evander Holyfield would have to be at the top of the list because those guys RARELY had issues with other boxers, they CAUSED issues for other boxers. Regardless of style, regardless of size, those two are probably the most difficult matchups for any other heavyweights you could think of.

My ONLY issue with Evander is that he allowed himself to get hit too much....when he was more focused on the sweet science he was an amazing amazing fighter.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you were to take 1 fighter to box against an unknown style, an unknown great, Joe Louis or Evander Holyfield would have to be at the top of the list because those guys RARELY had issues with other boxers, they CAUSED issues for other boxers. Regardless of style, regardless of size, those two are probably the most difficult matchups for any other heavyweights you could think of.

My ONLY issue with Evander is that he allowed himself to get hit too much....when he was more focused on the sweet science he was an amazing amazing fighter.
    Yes he was and he could have beaten Bowe but got mad when he got punched lownumerous times and just went into fighting mode. When he boxed he was the better fighter.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Meant to like your post but fat fingered dislike instead. Sorry about that!!!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fast, mobile, and slick guys frustrated Evander. He had a warrior's mentality, so he lost interest when the other guy focused on defense and refused to engage. Evander also had a tendency to be overconfident. Another factor is this is that Evander was a natural counterpuncher and preferred that to leading. Some observations from his career:

Larry Donald: Evander was well past his best, but this would've been a bad match up for him during his prime.
    Chris Byrd: Another fighter who would've caused Evander issues at any point due to his movement and focus on defense.
    James Toney: This was one of Evander's worst cases of hubris/overconfidence. He told Toney before the fight that no one, even Bowe and Lewis, had the balls to stand in front of him and fight. He then proceeded to load up with every shot and punch himself out (he was past his best) while Toney slipped and countered him silly.
    Lennox Lewis: Past his best, the first fight is tied with the Toney fight for most overconfident. He had a dream/vision that Lewis would go out in the 3rd, and trained accordingly. He received a gift draw, but performed much better in the rematch (I thought he won but I'm biased).
    Michael Moorer: Overconfidence and a heart issue cost him the first fight, which he avenged savagely in the rematch. Moorer had that great jab, tricky style to bother Evander, but he just went full on beast mode in the rematch for the stoppage win.
    Riddick Bowe: Second greatest trilogy at heavyweight, second only to Ali-Frazier, and not by much. The Bowe-Holyfield trilogy had more two way/sustained action throughout as Ali-Frazier 2 was a dud (1 & 3 were ridiculous though).
    Tyson, Tua, Rahman, Marciano, Foreman, Frazier, Mercer: Put these guys in front of any version of Evander and he looks great. Aggressive fighters with big punches were his specialty.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holyfield was too inconsistent to be ranked a great heavyweight for me and I love Evander at Cruiserweight. The man was a machine and just beautiful to watch. Do not think anyone could beat him and the only person that may have given him trouble would have been Rocky Marciano because of his tendency to brawl as he did with Quawi.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Fast, mobile, and slick guys frustrated Evander. He had a warrior's mentality, so he lost interest when the other guy focused on defense and refused to engage. Evander also had a tendency to be overconfident. Another factor is this is that Evander was a natural counterpuncher and preferred that to leading. Some observations from his career:

Larry Donald: Evander was well past his best, but this would've been a bad match up for him during his prime.
    Chris Byrd: Another fighter who would've caused Evander issues at any point due to his movement and focus on defense.
    James Toney: This was one of Evander's worst cases of hubris/overconfidence. He told Toney before the fight that no one, even Bowe and Lewis, had the balls to stand in front of him and fight. He then proceeded to load up with every shot and punch himself out (he was past his best) while Toney slipped and countered him silly.
    Lennox Lewis: Past his best, the first fight is tied with the Toney fight for most overconfident. He had a dream/vision that Lewis would go out in the 3rd, and trained accordingly. He received a gift draw, but performed much better in the rematch (I thought he won but I'm biased).
    Michael Moorer: Overconfidence and a heart issue cost him the first fight, which he avenged savagely in the rematch. Moorer had that great jab, tricky style to bother Evander, but he just went full on beast mode in the rematch for the stoppage win.
    Riddick Bowe: Second greatest trilogy at heavyweight, second only to Ali-Frazier, and not by much. The Bowe-Holyfield trilogy had more two way/sustained action throughout as Ali-Frazier 2 was a dud (1 & 3 were ridiculous though).
    Tyson, Tua, Rahman, Marciano, Foreman, Frazier, Mercer: Put these guys in front of any version of Evander and he looks great. Aggressive fighters with big punches were his specialty.
    I knew Larry Donald was going to give Evander hell....Larry was alright when he wasn't fighting a power puncher. Byrd, Toney, those guys are slick, but they fought an old Evander.

Lennox Lewis, Riddick Bowe, those guys had trouble with Evander they beat him but neither walked through those fights easily....Evander IMO beat Lennox in the rematch and lost in the first fight but the judges gifted Lewis the rematch because they shafted him on the first fight either way 1-1 vs Lennox Lewis and 1-2 vs Riddick Bowe when Evander was suffering from hepatitis or some such nonsense in one of those bouts ain't all that bad.

I think Foreman even Old George was tough for Evander, but still, Evander took some hellacious punches from Big George

Thread Information