Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Need some help with gambling

Hey dudes. I have a female friend at work and we talk quite a bit. She had a terrible go of it being abused as a young girl and bounced around foster care. She is misguided but has a great heart. Thing is she has a serious gambling issue. She will put here rent money on a game and she is struggling as it is. She has her own kids but is also raising 3 foster children. I've given heard food and gas money etc when she was struggling but when I've spoken to her about her out of control gambling she gets quiet. Yes I e worked with addicts in my career but never compulsive gamblers. I know a lot of the behaviors etc are similar with drugs and gambeling but I wanted to see if you guys have any experience dealing with a friend who was heading to the bottom gambling l. If I come at her strong i will probably turn her against me. You guys ever deal with something like that

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Need some help with gambling

Like any addict they have to admit they have a problem before you can move anywhere with them.

They have to take the steps to help themselves and all you can do is support them.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Hey dudes. I have a female friend at work and we talk quite a bit. She had a terrible go of it being abused as a young girl and bounced around foster care. She is misguided but has a great heart. Thing is she has a serious gambling issue. She will put here rent money on a game and she is struggling as it is. She has her own kids but is also raising 3 foster children. I've given heard food and gas money etc when she was struggling but when I've spoken to her about her out of control gambling she gets quiet. Yes I e worked with addicts in my career but never compulsive gamblers. I know a lot of the behaviors etc are similar with drugs and gambeling but I wanted to see if you guys have any experience dealing with a friend who was heading to the bottom gambling l. If I come at her strong i will probably turn her against me. You guys ever deal with something like that
    I don't really consider myself a gambler, I have the odd bet on the football or the boxing every now and again and even then it is only a maximum of £10/£15.
    I do like the roulette but again the most I have ever put on in one session has been £30 and usually it is £10/£15

I do know someone who had a gambling problem, he is quite open about it, he racked up 36K of debt, I asked him what he was spending it on and he said it was the horses and fruit machines, he had numerous credit cards which all kept on racking up the debts because of it, he said that he got further and further in because he was trying to gamble his way out of the problem which just never works, once he realized that he just stopped.

I know that doesn't help you out with your question but at least it shows that some people can just wake up one day and see that there is a problem and then stop.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I don't really consider myself a gambler, I have the odd bet on the football or the boxing every now and again and even then it is only a maximum of £10/£15.
    I do like the roulette but again the most I have ever put on in one session has been £30 and usually it is £10/£15

I do know someone who had a gambling problem, he is quite open about it, he racked up 36K of debt, I asked him what he was spending it on and he said it was the horses and fruit machines, he had numerous credit cards which all kept on racking up the debts because of it, he said that he got further and further in because he was trying to gamble his way out of the problem which just never works, once he realized that he just stopped.

I know that doesn't help you out with your question but at least it shows that some people can just wake up one day and see that there is a problem and then stop.
    Ahh fuck it, just roll the dice BWAHAHAHA

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post

Ahh fuck it, just roll the dice BWAHAHAHA
    You sorted out your Somalian problem yet?

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hear what happened.... She's Peruvian, not Somali, so I have to re-strategize my attack for 2 weeks from now.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Hear what happened.... She's Peruvian, not Somali, so I have to re-strategize my attack for 2 weeks from now.
    God damnit blocklebuster that's why you do you homework before rushing into these things

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

True, so true. But altruistically I have given the filthy cunt an extra 2 weeks of food stamps and SSI. Trying to look on the bright side, she's in Connecticut so @walrus actually pays her pittance.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not to familiar with gambling but have done well with the roulette and quarter slots in the past. It has to be a bit different from substance addiction which is more internal 'fix' where gambling for short immediate gains can be directly result to her current economics or lack there of. If she kept all of her earnings would she still be in debt and unable to provide? Not struggling, we all struggle. People want a quick fix, just one big score and sometimes ease the mind as it's "easier" to justify. Financially it would seem you need much more money-collateral to feed a gambling addiction than to cycle through drugs or alcohol. It's also much more socially expectable and readily available in the age of point and click.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah there isn't much I can do if she doesn't want to stop but she has hinted to me she knows it's a problem.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah there isn't much I can do if she doesn't want to stop but she has hinted to me she knows it's a problem.
    As with nearly everything today there are support groups available and made convenient. You lose nothing but maybe an hour to go sit in one and maybe she can find other support among fellow gamblers. They even have donuts if you're lucky!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, I haven't Walrus (that I know of), but I would imagine that gambling is an addiction like many others. So the addict can have many reasons why they do it, and they can talk really lucidly about it, and they can seee it's wrong ...... but they just can't help themselves, or deal with the overriding compulsion to keep,doing it.

I'm really really not experienced in this and it sounds like you want to help her out

I don't want to be an internet expert in something I'm not. Sorry I can't help from a position of any knowledge, but kudos to you for caring.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    No, I haven't Walrus (that I know of), but I would imagine that gambling is an addiction like many others. So the addict can have many reasons why they do it, and they can talk really lucidly about it, and they can seee it's wrong ...... but they just can't help themselves, or deal with the overriding compulsion to keep,doing it.

I'm really really not experienced in this and it sounds like you want to help her out

I don't want to be an internet expert in something I'm not. Sorry I can't help from a position of any knowledge, but kudos to you for caring.
    Well thanks X she is just a young girl who as I said has had a very tough life. Before I knew had bad she was I was going to have her place a bet for me on golovkin v canelo but now I will stay away from such a move. Anyway I'll just keep looking around for info and thanks guys

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Plus women betting on sporting events is never gunna end well (sorry I couldn't resist)

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They let a damaged person raise foster kids and that person is now gambling the rent money thus putting those children at risk? What the heck?

Gambling is apparently like other addictions including drug addictions and cravings for political power. It hits the same dopamine receptors and basically creates a high for the person. Like Master said, she needs to accept that she has a problem and seek help. Trouble is if she is does not want to change, then she won't change. My main concern in this story is not the woman, but the kids. People are free to screw themselves up as much as they like, but please never hurt the kids.

That is one thing I don't like about the west. The gambling is at extreme levels. In the UK you see a bookie on almost every street corner and any pug knows that they win. Yet, people go in there for their fix and it is a fix. Many of the punters are there day in day out feeding it. They might not even be staking a lot but they are looking for that dopamine high.

Personally I think it is wrong as the poorest people put their money on it hoping to 'win', but they would be better off investing that money and a few years later actually getting some real tangible benefits. It's a form of decadence and personally I would like to see it banned. It is banned out here and people are then free to do other things with their money.

Thread Information