89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default This Time with Alan Partridge

Who's been watching this?
    Absolute comedy genius!
    Watched the first 2 last night on catch up with the missus and pissed ourselves laughing non stop.
    Brilliant Stuff.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: This Time with Alan Partridge

I’ve been watching, and I’m a big fan of Alan Partridge, but I’ve found this to be a bit of a slow burner. Still some comedy nuggets in there though.i will keep persevering.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is like Mid Morning Matters but set within the staid confines of the banal scripted BBC format. It is good but not on the level of I'm Alan Partridge. I feel they would have been better served going back into Alan world and his life and having the BBC comeback as part of all that. The studio format limits Alan and we haven't seen the full world of Alan for too long now. They made Alan a fully formed character and I would like to see him continue in all his awkwardness. You need more Lynn, you need less sidekick Simon, you need Michael back, you need to see Alan adapting to a world he can never quite fit into.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That might have sounded a bit negative but I think I'm Alan Partridge is the best comedy show ever written. It is still very good, but I miss the full Alan world.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are some jokes that are brilliant on there and it is very fast paced at times. Will stick with it and it is good to see him back.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never got Alan Partridge at all, I've got a mate who fucking loves him but, nah not for me, I can't even remember it being on telly to be honest, the whole thing just passed me by completely

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never got into month python, dad's army or Allo Allo so it can happen to the best of us.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It really is excellent and you will actually pick up on more of the jokes if you rewatch it.

The number of people - me included - who on first viewing missed the guy falling of the end of the row, when Alan sat down amongst the audience, last week for example. And the shuttle cock ending was genius.

No it’s not I’m Alan Partridge but that was a different setting away from tv and there is still 4 episodes to go.

I do hope Michael is in some way at least referenced this series mind. And is there going to be a weekly gag about China a la Bill Oddie ??

Was that blokes dad head of factual programmes at bbc by the way ?
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    It really is excellent and you will actually pick up on more of the jokes if you rewatch it.

The number of people - me included - who on first viewing missed the guy falling of the end of the row, when Alan sat down amongst the audience, last week for example. And the shuttle cock ending was genius.

No it’s not I’m Alan Partridge but that was a different setting away from tv and there is still 4 episodes to go.

I do hope Michael is in some way at least referenced this series mind. And is there going to be a weekly gag about China a la Bill Oddie ??

The second episode was brilliant. I loved when Alan ran to the audience to try and stop being upstaged by his rival only for the bloke to turn back and sit on his seat.

Comedy gold.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep that scene cracked me up. Quick turn and “cheers”

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post

The second episode was brilliant. I loved when Alan ran to the audience to try and stop being upstaged by his rival only for the bloke to turn back and sit on his seat.

Comedy gold.
    I am trying to enjoy it, but I am struggling at times and I hate to say that as I am a big Partridge fan. It is well constructed, but there is just not enough pure Alan. It isn't genuinely funny most of the time. It did get excellent for that final 5 minutes when Alan became proper Alan and the mean side started to come out properly having had his seat taken. But the battle scene and things like that I just find a bit boring. I think there is something in this writing team that is just not on the same snappy, funny level as the team on I'm Alan Partridge. I haven't been dazzled like an episode of Knowing me. By mimicking something that is real and making it so life like, the comedy is being muted. I think the setting is also limiting Alan's natural brilliance. It's when the cameras are off and we see him interact with Lyn that you perk up a bit and then it is back to Jenny and the damn chat show format which is stifling. Even Alan seems sick of it as the cameras are about to roll: 'Fuck'.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think I was seduced by the first episode in just seeing Alan again and Coogan does perform him brilliantly, but on repeated viewing that episode does not hold up for me and I think you have to compare it with what went before. Then on watching episode 2 I just wasn't finding it very funny again. The final 5 minutes and the Lynn interaction perked it up a bit, but this simply isn't turning out to be classic Alan. Alan spends too long waffling away, but without interacting with people and simply some clever wordplay, it is not what made Alan great. It is well constructed and I respect the writing, but it isn't terribly funny. It's like when you hear an album and long for it to be good, but on reflection find it does not stand up with the back catalogue. It is a bit like that. The thrill is off for me now, so each episode has to simply stand or fall on whether it can conjure the magic. I am not quite sure what they were hoping to achieve by putting Alan into this situation with no context or wider universe. The chat show would have been better as a smaller part of the wider Alan world. I am ready for episode 3 and know it will be well crafted and Coogan looks excellent, but Alan feels empty as though he is running on fumes. It's a shame as I believe with a better writing team and a better concept Alan still has something left.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Christ Miles. You need to masturbate more

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The 2nd episode was excellent, it was genius turning the whole episode from mourning a legend broadcaster to making him out to be the next Jimmy Saville..

Thread Information