Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ryan Burnett vs. Nonito Donaire

Plenty will be on the line when Ryan Burnett and Nonito Donaire face each other for the WBA super world bantamweight title and the vacant WBA diamond bantamweight strap in the quarterfinals of the World Boxing Super Series Season Two at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow, Scotland on Saturday, Nov. 3, live and exclusively on DAZN.

Northern Ireland’s Burnett (19-0, 9 KOs) will be making his second defense of his WBA super world bantamweight crown, which he captured by defeating Zhanat Zhakiyanov in October 2017. The tournament's No. 1 seed will be looking to advance to the semifinals, where he'd face Zolani Tete. But first, the tough challenge of getting past Donaire awaits.

The 35-year-old Donaire (38-5, 24 KOs) heads into the tournament, looking to rebound from a unanimous decision loss to Carl Frampton this past April.

Burnett and Donaire have mutual respect, as the pair posted a shot of Donaire and his wife Rachel having dinner with Burnett and his girlfriend Lara after the WBSS draw this past summer. But that will change in the ring Saturday.

Here's everything you need to know about the Burnett-Donaire fight on Saturday.

(All times Eastern.)

Burnett vs. Donaire fight date, time and location
    Ryan Burnett and Nonito Donaire will clash on Saturday, Nov. 3 at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow, Scotland, beginning at 1 p.m.

How to watch Burnett vs. Donaire live
    The Burnett vs. Donaire fight and full undercard be live-streamed exclusively on DAZN in the U.S.

Burnett, Donaire fight records
    Ryan Burnett: 19-0 with nine knockouts.

Nonito Donaire: 38-5 with 24 knockouts.

Burnett vs. Donaire fight card
    Ryan Burnett vs. Nonito Donaire for WBA super and WBC diamond bantamweight titles
    Josh Taylor vs. Ryan Martin for WBC silver super lightweight title
    Zach Parker vs. Darryll Williams for vacant BBBofC British super middleweight title
    Darren Surtees vs. Troy James

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/boxin...c13t4vd9u2bmqf
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ryan Burnett vs. Nonito Donaire

Taylor vs. Martin: Ryan Martin looks to follow the path to greatness set by Tim Bradley and Terence Crawford

Ryan Martin stumbled into professional boxing with only 50 Cent inside his shallow pockets. A native of Chattanooga, Tennessee, “a diverse city where the bad sides can take you down real quick,” Martin was a focal point of the hip-hop mogul’s boxing experiment, a project that received as much care as Curtis Jackson could muster with many men, and women, requiring adequate attention from the brooding entrepreneur. Martin received some assistance, the ration proved insufficient to take his talents from a decorated amateur stint all the way to professional stardom.

“First things first, I’m grateful to 50,” reveals Martin, comfortable in a Scotland hotel days before hitting the heights he was promised when sacrificing his national vest. “He had the belief in me when I was still fighting amateur to persuade me to turn professional and he said some really impressive things about me that kinda put me out there early on. When 50 speaks, people tend to listen, so when I had this guy telling the world that I was going to be somebody then it made people move their heads a little and take notice of me. Although we had to go to court in order to go our own ways, he moved my career along really good until a certain point.”

With Tom Loeffler now guiding Martin following a legal quarrel that saw the 25-year-old freed from his contract with 50 Cent’s promotional group, “Blue Chip” is finally at the business end of boxing. On Saturday night at the SSE Arena in Glasgow, Martin tackles local favorite Josh Taylor in the World Boxing Super Series quarter-final. With his career once in the hands of lawyers and judges, Martin now heads into the lucrative tournament insistent that it’ll be the making of him.

“I’m as good as what’s out there at the moment and I intend on showing the world that on Saturday night. I’m not as loud or boisterous or brash as other fighters and perhaps that’s why I don’t get the attention they do, but my talking is done in the ring because that’s the place where you can be as loud as you want," he says. "Trust me, you hear all these fighters and I don’t want to name names, but you probably know who I mean and they get big fights regardless of results because of the way they act up out of the ring. I’ve always been the opposite. I want to be respectful to this sport and the way I do that is by training hard and giving my all every time I step into the ring.”

In Taylor, Martin will be opposed by one of the bright lights of British boxing. A competition regular when sporting the colours of either Scotland or Great Britain, Taylor resisted the predictable promises of multiple promoters to ink a contract with Cyclone Promotions, run by the McGuigan family. With Barry providing guidance and his son Shane in charge of training responsibilities, the Celtic connection between Ireland and Scotland has proved to be a winning formula thus far with notable wins coming over Ohara Davies and former world champion, Viktor Postol. Taylor, along with New Orleans’ Regis Prograis, is the favorite to collect the Ali Trophy reserved for the overall WBSS winner, but Martin’s confidence at causing an upset is admirable.

“I’m fully aware how the British boxing public sees Taylor and I don’t see the same thing, I’m sorry. Right now, boxing in the U.K. is something else and I’m not alone in thinking that because a lot of fighters back home in America are interested in fighting here, but there are better fighters here than Taylor, that’s for sure. Do I think he’s a great fighter? No, because he makes plenty of mistakes and I see ways that I can exploit that, but he is a good fighter and for that he has my full respect and I promise you that he’ll be getting the best version of Ryan Martin when that bell goes Saturday night. There’ll be no excuses from me and the best man will win.”

If victorious, Martin will not be the first American to break out on British soil. The obvious example is consistent with the location of this weekend’s conflict as it was Terence Crawford, now a resident on the mythical pound-for-pound list, who captured his maiden world crown in Glasgow when defeating Ricky Burns for his WBO lightweight strap in 2014. In 2008, Tim Bradley, a short and chiseled Californian, arrived in Nottingham something of an unknown quantity to take on Junior Witter, when the Bradford man was in excellent form. Bradley took a deserved decision and went on to have a remarkable career. The path for Martin has been laid by past and current greats and although his ascent to this position has been muted and incident-free, he feels ready to grab this moment and use it in a similar way to his counterparts of yesteryear.

“This has been a long time coming for me, a really long time, but I know the timing is right and everything about my preparations has been perfect. I’ve got Abel Sanchez in my corner and a really solid team behind me, and everything I’ve sacrificed has been geared towards this moment. Scotland has been nice so far even though it’s absolutely freezing, but everything just feels right and the chance to make a statement against a guy in his own country is something that motivates me. It’s my time now and I’ve waited my whole life to show people what I can do and now I get to do it on a big stage where the whole world is going to see.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/tay...164145107.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nonito is 63 years old

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well done to Donaire for making the weight. Came in lighter than Burnett after 7 years away from the division.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Damn, I wish some of these fights would be televised conventionally.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Damn, I wish some of these fights would be televised conventionally.
    You don't have YouTube? If so download the browser Opera, it's free, activate the built in VPN and just set the region to a country that is eligible to show it.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just don’t see Donaire looking good at all. He is much older and had to cut down to a weight he hasn’t made in 7 years. I’ve seen this story many times before and it has never ended well. That’s why I picked Donaire getting KO’d.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Well done to Donaire for making the weight. Came in lighter than Burnett after 7 years away from the division.
    Can't believe he made weight but looked so old.

I can see this being a Rigo type fight with Donaire being picked off by the sharper, slicker Burnett and being forced into a late mercy corner stoppage when his body packs up.

However, at 14/1 for the KO I can't resist a couple of quid on that lethal left hook.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I just don’t see Donaire looking good at all. He is much older and had to cut down to a weight he hasn’t made in 7 years. I’ve seen this story many times before and it has never ended well. That’s why I picked Donaire getting KO’d.
    History is not on his side.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donaire may go down as under appreciated for his legitimate showmanship and skill mix. He won't settle until convinced but cannot see him punching enough between the work of Burnett. Melting off the weight at this stage feels more like last stand stubborn pride and a firm hope on 101 left hooks.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Donaire may go down as under appreciated for his legitimate showmanship and skill mix. He won't settle until convinced but cannot see him punching enough between the work of Burnett. Melting off the weight at this stage feels more like last stand stubborn pride and a firm hope on 101 left hooks.
    Donaire just messed up his career by not being active enough during his prime. Once he got to the top of the sport, he didn’t fight much or against top competition half the time. Then Rigo kind of derailed the little momentum he had left.

He actually still had decent success after that but could never get back to the top.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donaire's left hook is a thing of beauty. He fell in love with it and relied on it too much.

Hope it lands tonight.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone got the YouTube link for this?
    I've read that it's on Facebook but I don't have an account.
    I can't be arsed digging around for a random link and I can't find the YouTube one.

If not I'll just stick with Black Christmas (1974)

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Baby face Butler is fighting now round 8 of 10. I have just tuned in now

Thread Information