Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default achilles tendon

My achilles tendon ache after training and playing football. I do stretch before and after but that does not stop the pain after. It takes a day to get better by walking. Any way of stopping the pain all together?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: achilles tendon

Wheres the pain Heel or Calf and what are your Stretches
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stop stretching before hand!

Warming up and stretching are two different things. Your muscles and tendons are like an elastic band. When you stretch you are stretching the muscle tissue and tendons past their comfortable range. If you imagine doing the same thing to an elastic band - you would be able to see little tears in it's fibre - the same thing happens to your muscles... after stretching they heal and you develop muscle and tendon length.

But when when you go off and perform vigorous exercises you repeatedly contract those muscles and pull on those tendons, if there's micro tears in the tissues than this is likely to increase the chances of damage and injury.

I bet after playing/training your calves will be TENSE, the last thing you want is tense muscles pulling on tendons that have been temporarily weakened by stretching.

Really it could be a number of things, but probably the first to rule out is stretching when cold and before vigorous exercise and over stretching.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Wheres the pain Heel or Calf and what are your Stretches
    The pain is at the heel. What AdamGB says makes sense.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Stop stretching before hand!

Warming up and stretching are two different things. Your muscles and tendons are like an elastic band. When you stretch you are stretching the muscle tissue and tendons past their comfortable range. If you imagine doing the same thing to an elastic band - you would be able to see little tears in it's fibre - the same thing happens to your muscles... after stretching they heal and you develop muscle and tendon length.

But when when you go off and perform vigorous exercises you repeatedly contract those muscles and pull on those tendons, if there's micro tears in the tissues than this is likely to increase the chances of damage and injury.

I bet after playing/training your calves will be TENSE, the last thing you want is tense muscles pulling on tendons that have been temporarily weakened by stretching.

Really it could be a number of things, but probably the first to rule out is stretching when cold and before vigorous exercise and over stretching.
    That makes sense, I have pulled my calf by over stretching which I have never ever done before. Stupid stretching never used to do it before. Will try just warming up. Feel better already. Thanks.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Adams was a great reply, I was trying to get to the underlying problem of why. Usualy its Gait if brought on by running Technique suffers if not doing the correct preperation.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funny one this.

the peneral tendon (think that's how it's spelt? :P) on the bottom of my left foot had been flaring up for a few weaks.

I remember cramping up my calf doing some plyos in the middle of a roadwork session and jogging it off, it was fine afterwards. The week after I was walking down hte street in normal shoes and it really started hurting. I put it down to over exerting in the run and thought it would just go away.

Took over a week for the penny to drop, it first came on a few days after the run, I was walking down the street with my everyday shoes on. they're trainer-shoes so I just lace them up and slip them on and off. To cut a long story short they'd became quite lose from doing this.

I tightened them up and it was gona within a few days. The muscles related to that tendon (I don't know the latin, some of the innercalf muscles-medial/posterior?) are involved in stablising the ankle joint and must have been affected by cramp I felt and obviously having my shows all over the place was the grain of sand that broke the camels back (or foot! ).

Guess it shows that what you say is true- the body works all or nothing... one little problem and because I didn't spot it- a few days later I can barely walk!
    Last edited by AdamGB; 10-07-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: achilles tendon

dunno how or why they work but fitflops have done wonders for my achilles/foot tendon problems. First day I had them my foot kept sliding off the footbed and I thought well it's either the shoes are wonky or my feet are

Now I wear them all the time & I don't care if they're fashionable if it means I can carry on dancing and training.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What's the heel on it like?

The achilles control plantar flexion, so I'd guess the heel height of your shoe could affect that. The Penerals (still don't know how to spell it correctly!) are mostly involved in controlling pronation and inversion etc.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

just got my ruler out. It's 1 1/2" graduated, toe is just under an inch. So it's not huge but it is well cushioned.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The body is a wonderfull thing as far as memory Brought on by Feel, it adapts to good or Bad practice.Stretching gives minute tares, but the Neuromuscular system adapts. Get a bad tare the Body will repair qiucker through memory. Stretching improves the expansion of muscle giving better and more contraction more explosive power, now theres the problem. People dont do the proper preperation thats the problem not doingthe work to ajust to intense impact. Muscle memory has got to remember it needs clues it needs to feel what is going to Happening.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It does feel like an elastic and was about to split. Just did a workout without stretching and no problems. So good so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sign of old age. Yer gettin' there buddy

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacstraightleft View Post
    Sign of old age. Yer gettin' there buddy
    True, sad but true.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Played football yesterday and had no major problems with the achilles tendon. I did notice that I do not run/spring off the left leg and, as it is weaker after my operation 18 months ago.

Thread Information