Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Okolie-Chamberlain / Cheeseman-Carson-Jones - Feb 3/02 London

Carson Jones is the bollocks. Hard bastard, always in upsets/punchups, will find you out if you ain't borderline top-drawer (always gives you a run for the money).

Cheeseman is a quality prospect, a heavy handed box-puncher coasting along on the undercards of the rich kids and medal merchants (what a surprise he gets put in at the deep end first, yeah). Jones might not leave laughing at Eddie and Frank this time though.

Okolie-Chamberlain is the main event (it was meant to be Dillian Whyte-Lucas Brown... oh well). If you don't know who they are, they have beef, it's a North London ting, post codes or someink. Okolie is a bit Wilder-esque (gangly, unrefined but can put your lights out). Chamberlain can't crack an egg, however, that might not be a problem with Okolie.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Cheeseman-Carson-Jones/Okolie-Chamberlain Feb 3/02 London

Okolie v Chamberlain sounds like an interesting London duel which is getting very heated.

Carson Jones is a very good fighter and on the form he fought Kell Brook he would be too much for Cheeseman. That is a test for the prospect.

Good card.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ah so Chamberlain has accepted the fight after Okolie said "fight me in February or never say my name again"
    I don't think I know much about Chamberlain, I'll need to look him up and see if it refreshes my memory.

And it goes with out saying that I want cheesehead to win

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Ah so Chamberlain has accepted the fight after Okolie said "fight me in February or never say my name again"
    I don't think I know much about Chamberlain, I'll need to look him up and see if it refreshes my memory.

And it goes with out saying that I want cheesehead to win

If you didn't reply to this thread I was gonna ban you for life.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Didn't Cheeseman literally pull out of a fight with injury the other day? Carson Jones is a tough , honest fighter and has made good money in the UK. bit of a snappy dresser as well.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a joint promotion with AJ Boxing, that should make you Eddie-haterers happy, not long now before Eddie gets the elbow.......then signs Dubois

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Okolie vs Chamberlain- Gonna come down to Counterpunching!

I have seen both Lawrence Okolie and Isaac Chamberlain fight before. Without question Okolie has more power, but Chamberlain moves more and has quicker hands.

I think this is gonna come down to Counterpunching, and who does it best. In this case, I believe Okolie just has more power than Chamberlain and can take a bigger punch than Chamberlain.

While Chamberlain may get there first, Okolie will be a half a split second after a "counter-punching punch through" and connect with some shots.

Chamberlain dodges shots good. His chin is ok, but not tested to any large extent from a puncher like Okolie at this division. However, they say Chamberlain has sparred with Deontay Wilder, and conversely Okolie has reportedly "dropped" Joshua in sparring.

I just feel Chamberlain will meet Okolie at the counter-punch crucible and while he may land a slightly later, he will land harder.

Will Chamberlain get out of the way? Box and move like Billy Joe Saunders, or like a good slick slip and move fighter can? We will see. But, if he gets caught not moving fast enough to take away some of the sting of an Okolie body shot, we may see a ko.

Not gonna call a round, but through this analysis, and considering Chamberlain's endurance to some extent, expect a 7th or 8th round stoppage TKO on the ropes.
    Last edited by ykdadamaja; 12-28-2017 at 02:38 PM.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Okolie vs Chamberlain- Gonna come down to Counterpunching!

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    I have seen both LAwrence Okolie and Isaac Chamberlain fight before. Without question Okolie has more power, but Chamberlain moves more and has quicker hands.

I think this is gonna come down to Counterpunching, and who does it best. In this case, I believe Okolie just has more power than Chamberlain and can take a bigger punch than Chamberlain.

While Chamberlain may get there first, Okolie will be a half a split second after through a "counter-punching punch through" and connect with some shots.

Chamberlain dodges shots good. His chin is ok, but not tested to any large extent from a puncher like Okolie at this division. However, they say Chamberlain has sparred with Deontay Wilder, and conversely Okolie has reportedly "dropped" Joshua in sparring.

I just feel Chamberlain will meet Okolie at the counter-punch crucible and while he may land a slightly later, he will land harder.

Will Chamberlain get out of the way? Box and move like Silly Joe Saunders, or like a good slick slip and move fighter can? We will see. But, if he gets caught not moving fast enough to take away some of the sting of an Okolie body shot, we may see a ko.

Not gonna call a round, but through this analysis, and considering Chamberlain's endurance to some extent, expect a 7th or 8th round stoppage TKO on the ropes.
    Good fight and I am not sure who will win this one,! they don't seem to like each other roll on a good fight for the new year.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Okolie vs Chamberlain- Gonna come down to Counterpunching!

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    I have seen both LAwrence Okolie and Isaac Chamberlain fight before. Without question Okolie has more power, but Chamberlain moves more and has quicker hands.

While Chamberlain may get there first, Okolie will be a half a split second after through a "counter-punching punch through" and connect with some shots.

Will Chamberlain get out of the way? Box and move like Silly Joe Saunders, or like a good slick slip and move fighter can? We will see. But, if he gets caught not moving fast enough to take away some of the sting of an Okolie body shot, we may see a ko.

Good fight and I am not sure who will win this one,! they don't seem to like each other roll on a good fight for the new year.
    Okolie seems a bit emotional about it. Chamberlain just wants to fight and get it over with. lol....
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Lawrence Okolie v Isaac Chamberlain

This fight is getting very tasty.

Isaac Chamberlain takes out advert for opponent Lawrence Okolie

British cruiserweight Isaac Chamberlain has used rival Lawrence Okolie's local newspaper to advertise the 2016 Olympian as being available for work after their forthcoming fight.

The undefeated pair face one another at London's O2 Arena on 3 February.

Chamberlain, 23, took out a 'work wanted' advert in the Hackney Gazette.

Employers are told Okolie, at 6ft 5in, will be good at stacking shelves and after being knocked out by Chamberlain will be able to count to 10.

Chamberlain says he hopes the advert will help Okolie earn the money needed to follow the former's career at sold out venues around the world.

Okolie, 25, worked at McDonald's before breaking into the Great Britain boxing squad.

His previous role is noted in Chamberlain's advert under 'references', where a quote from company mascot Ronald McDonald reads: "Excelled in his position. It was good to have another clown around."

Hackney-born Okolie's last-16 exit at the Rio Games is also mocked, with the advert stating under 'previous experience': "Turned up at the Olympics, went home from the Olympics. Nice holiday though."

The bout will be Okolie's first at the top of the bill since turning professional early in 2017. He holds a record of seven wins from seven fights, while Chamberlain has nine wins from nine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/42829851

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lawrence Okolie v Isaac Chamberlain

That's brilliant The build-up (sell) of this fight has been excellent, constant daily training pics, vids and stunts. Okolie flipping burgers for Cheeseman was so corny it was a cracker.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Okolie-Chamberlain / Cheeseman-Carson-Jones - Feb 3/02 London

This is gonna really kick start the coming months and it's a great card too, Cheeseman is in a proper war so looming forward to that one and we all love a domestic grudge much.
    Feb and March are stacked with some great fights.
    Boxnations schedule alone is ridiculously good.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After watching yesterday's presser I'm looking forward to Teddy Cheeseman v Carson Jones more than the main event.
    Ted has that air of Spud from Trainspotting about him but win or lose will go out on his shield.
    It's gonna steal the show this fight 😉

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Okolie v Chamberlain is the fight for me. There is a potential rivalry that could be Eubank v Benn or Groves v Degale there.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lawrence Okolie v Isaac Chamberlain: A 12-month journey to top of the bill

"As soon as you turn pro, you're getting messages saying you're a bum, you won't amount to anything."

Lawrence Okolie gave up the security of a steady wage from Great Britain Boxing as an amateur to turn professional a year ago.

Poised sound-bites complemented by crushing knockouts have helped him navigate the choppy waters of pro life admirably, so much so that on Saturday - in just his eighth fight - he tops the bill against undefeated London rival Isaac Chamberlain at O2 Arena.

The feud between the pair has become intense. Such public distaste is a new dynamic for Okolie to deal with in these early throes of his journey.

As he explained to BBC Sport, a year as a pro has highlighted boxing's risks and rewards.

"It's 100% a bigger risk to turn pro than people think," 25-year-old Okolie told BBC Sport.

The cruiserweight made the jump after competing at the Rio 2016 Olympics. The former McDonald's employee - once diagnosed as clinically obese - rolled the dice to sign with promoter Eddie Hearn in January 2017.

The £28,000-a-year salary he earned as part of the GB Boxing squad was gone, as was his access to paid-for accommodation and free coaching at the Olympic squad's state-of-the-art Sheffield base.

"It's less risk to stay there but then there's a glass ceiling," added Okolie. "You can win a gold medal, maybe another, huge accomplishments but it stops there.

"As a pro, you risk not being paid if you're injured, maybe losing, and then there's whether the public hate you? There are a lot of risks as a pro but a great reward.

"One of the main things on the GB team is you have multiple coaches. They can each give you their own bit of experience which combines to make years and years of experience. Any injury you get they've seen before. If you're tired, nervous, whatever, they have people who have seen it all before and are there on tap to coach you through it.

"The difference is when you turn pro, you have to build and pay for that team around you."

Okolie has built his team with some help from his management company AJ Boxing - headed by IBF and WBA world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua. He has a general boxing trainer, a strength and conditioning coach, a physio and a nutritionist to call upon.

He feels he is thriving with the "freedom" he has in being able to tailor his training, rather than train as part of a team. There's an admission he misses sharing the same goals as the GB team members but, ultimately, Okolie believes he is handling the "individuality" of being a pro.

A record of seven wins from seven fights - six via stoppage - backs up his claim, but there's a flip side to individuality.

"When you're on the GB team people are like: 'Go on, do it for Team GB, do it for the Queen, do it for the nation,'" adds Okolie. "You get support from everyone. No-one wishes you any evil.

"As you soon as you turn pro, you're getting messages saying 'you're a bum', 'you won't amount to anything'. I'm like 'wow, why am I being sent this stuff?' A year in, I'm a bit more accustomed to it."

Public opinion can change fast and with little reason, an unsettling experience for a novice pro dealing with change and new levels of scrutiny.

"I think it's something to do with earning money," says Okolie, after a brief moment to ponder. "Pro boxing is glamorised somewhat, they think I'm earning millions. People therefore think they can tell you what they think. Fair enough. If you can't take it it's the wrong game for you."

It perhaps helps that Okolie has dealt with harsh words before - he has been open about the fact he was bullied during his school years for being overweight.

Critics point to what they perceive as his weak opponents so far but neglect the subtle learning curves life in the paid ranks throw up.

There have been nights when Okolie was meant to compete but didn't due to scheduling issues. There have been nights where he has waited, warmed up several times, and finally got in the ring after the main event has taken place, after the cameras have stopped rolling.

And now, a new lesson - a public rivalry as Hackney's Okolie meets Brixton's Chamberlain. This, undoubtedly, is a big step up.

"When you've been doing it as an amateur at a high level against good quality, you almost don't want to lose that sharpness," adds Okolie.

"The punches against some people are not timed as well, not as clever, so you don't want to become complacent and you're scared you may do.

"There's a danger you fight people, take a few shots and think they're not hurting you, then you get in the ring with someone who does hurt you."

Chamberlain really wants to inflict that pain.

The 23-year-old has his own mental coach and has sought weakness in Okolie's mind - notably when taking out an advert in the Hackney Gazette to market Okolie for work after the bout.

"He will not fall over, he will keep fighting," adds Okolie. "I want to show I can knock out someone who really has something to fight for."

Promoter Hearn points to a pressure on Okolie given the Olympic pedigree he boasts over a rival without one.

Chamberlain has walked his own battle for headline status, none more so than when he scored a points win over Wadi Camacho in his sixth fight despite dislocating his shoulder during the bout.

His uncle and trainer has threatened to quit the sport if his fighter loses, such is confidence in camp. Never before has Okolie faced such hostility as a pro. If he is to reach the very top, events like this will provide crucial experience he can call upon in the future.

"They say that everything has been given to me," adds Okolie. "They say I've had an easy ride, but Eddie Hearn didn't come to Hackney and take me out of McDonald's, take me to Team GB then take me to Rio for the Olympics.

"The rivalry gives me a mix of emotions. I love the hype and being centre of attention because while you're in the ring all eyes are on you. But then, in terms of extra pressure, absolutely it is there.

"Then I see AJ selling 70,000 tickets and I think really, when you look at it, there are levels to pressure.

"This fight just increases the risk and the reward."

Risk and reward. The basis for Okolie's decision to turn pro is revisited. It is a theme which runs through boxing match-making. Win against Chamberlain and bigger rewards will present themselves. Lose and the critics will flock.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/42898752

Thread Information