Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Adonis...

I picked Jack to actually get him out and both starting slow and Jack keeping his hands in his pockets was frustrating. Stevenson looked all but done little after mid way but did find a way to scratch back and no problem with a draw. That said Stevenson looked his age overall when caught with right hands and physically. Good scrap and would watch rematch for sure.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jack should have started earlier is easier said than done. His whole gameplan was to avoid the big left hand early and get into the second half of the fight - 22 of Stevenson's 24 sparkos have come inside the first 6 rounds. If he had started quicker there's a multitude of different outcomes possible (although the theory is clear).

He executed an almost perfect gameplan but Stevenson gritting it out and holding him off down the stretch was almost as impressive.

Jack has improved big time in the last couple of years.
    Last edited by Fenster; 05-23-2018 at 12:38 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jack looked like he was just happy to be there for most of the fight. He's a calm and patient fighter but his tentativeness looked clearly like he was intimidated by getting caught by a big puncher. I tried to convince myself he was just dragging Stevenson into deep water to drown him in take him out in the late rounds. (I had Stevenson catching jack and Ko'ing him before the fight) . Jack did absolutely nothing early to draw the life from Stevenson and bleed him slow because he only fought when he felt himself cornered. So Stevenson didn't have to expend himself as much as he should have, which explains the reserve he had in the tank down the stretch.

Jack is the victim of the constant draw, not because no one likes his promoter.... not because he isn't the hometown favorite (I was expecting controversy because the fight was in Canada)... He seems like a nice guy and all but Jack constantly gets the short end of the stick because he fights down to the level of competition. I'm probably going against the grain, but I don't know if the future looks too bright for him in this division, considering the murderous punchers at the top and his style/ring IQ. Toughing it out with those guys could be asking for trouble.
    Last edited by J_Undisputed; 05-24-2018 at 10:05 AM. Reason: grammar, typos
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Adonis has a better chance against Kovalev than Jack does..

If Adonis manages to win the rematch he should just cash out and finally get the fight with Kovalev..it’s pathetic how these two never fought.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post

If Adonis manages to win the rematch he should just cash out and finally get the fight with Kovalev..it’s pathetic how these two never fought.
    I agree that Stevenson has a better chance because of his punch. Jack stands no chance. Stevenson could get lucky but I would highly doubt he would win.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

I agree that Stevenson has a better chance because of his punch. Jack stands no chance. Stevenson could get lucky but I would highly doubt he would win.
    I don't see Stevenson winning a rematch. Jack knocks him out next time (if's there's a next time). But I see Jack struggling with the likes of Kov, Beterbiev, Bivol or Gvozdyk.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Jack should have started earlier is easier said than done. His whole gameplan was to avoid the big left hand early and get into the second half of the fight - 22 of Stevenson's 24 sparkos have come inside the first 6 rounds. If he had started quicker there's a multitude of different outcomes possible (although the theory is clear).

He executed an almost perfect gameplan but Stevenson gritting it out and holding him off down the stretch was almost as impressive.

He couldn't win the fight unless he started earlier. You cannot bank on being able to clean sweep the final 7 rounds of a fight. If that means you get knocked out, then that means you get knocked out. Otherwise, how are you going to win unless you stop your opponent?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

I don't see Stevenson winning a rematch. Jack knocks him out next time (if's there's a next time). But I see Jack struggling with the likes of Kov, Beterbiev, Bivol or Gvozdyk.
    I agree. I was talking about both Jack and Stevenson fighting Kovalev not each other. I think Jack beats Stevenson in a rematch, but that Stevenson has a better chance to beat Kovalev than Jack does.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree. I was talking about both Jack and Stevenson fighting Kovalev not each other. I think Jack beats Stevenson in a rematch, but that Stevenson has a better chance to beat Kovalev than Jack does.
    Jack can beat Kov by punching him in the balls. It worked with Ward it can work with Badou Jack.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I used to give Stevenson a small chance against kovalev. After the Jack fight, i'm thinking Kovalev absolutely mauls him. Its possible that Kov gets caught with a counter but I dont see even see Stevenson being able to keep pace with Kovalev, considering the way he tried to feint and cruise through the early rounds against jack. I think stevenson will just wear himself off trying to stave off kovalev with big swings while kovalev stalks him and picks at him. Somewhere about 3 Stevenson gets a notch slower and Kov will sting him with straight punches. I think from there its a shorter version of pascal.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know a lot of people seem to feel sorry for jack but yet again he failed to get the job done. If he started to go to work a round sooner in all his draws he could've turned them to wins but he always starts too slow.
    its easy to blame judges but he has to take responsibility for his own actions

it may sound harsh but it's only because he's capable of more. If he gave it is all but came up short that's a different story but he was fighting a 40 year old who hasn't fought a top fighter in years and has been blown away by a journeyman. Jack should've gone for it more. If there's a rematch jack wins

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he starts earlier......!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

He couldn't win the fight unless he started earlier. You cannot bank on being able to clean sweep the final 7 rounds of a fight. If that means you get knocked out, then that means you get knocked out. Otherwise, how are you going to win unless you stop your opponent?
    Well actually he didn't lose, you can win after losing the first 5 rounds and being knocked out is the only certain way of losing.

However, i'm not arguing that the theory is wrong just that it's not incontestable. It doesn't guarantee a different result.

Things are more complex than simply starting faster, you can quite simply reverse the logic so Stevenson wins next time by pacing himself in a more efficient manner. A round is scored the exact same, barring knock downs, whether 100 punches or 1 are thrown.

When you watch a race it looks like the strongest finishers are quickening when in fact they are actually slowing down the least. It's deceptive.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Jacks strategy was to win on points then surely he takes into account the chance of losing a round down the stretch. Otherwise like with Hopkins against Taylor you are only inviting controversy by giving up half a fight.

I agree that it was in Jack's interest to come on strong, but it was in his interest to do it earlier in the guys hometown and all that.

Stevenson proved he can take him out, but that's the nature of the game. You have to win more of the rounds to nick a decision.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with that assessment, @Alpha . First time around, Jack had probably heard a million times how Stevenson could end the fight with one left hand, and that's got to have a little effect on your approach to the fight. That's why when I see the torrent of opinion that Jack should've "started sooner", I counter with "easier said than done", when you're the one facing down that lethal weapon. Now Jack's been there, done that. If there was a rematch, number one Stevenson would be that much older..... and Father Time looks like it's gonna do a number on Adonis. Number two, Jack has now faced Stevenson and the element of surprise is no longer there. Yeah, he knocks him out.

Thread Information