Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arrow Boxer Diet

This should help LOADS of you out there...

I'm the creator of learnhowtobox.com and have to admit I've always been CLUELESS about how to answer questions from my subscribers about diet for boxers, (pretty embarrassing really).

So I decided to get off my ass and get some proper help.

I spoke to a top London sports nutritionist (Becky Stevenson) who normally charges £150/hour for a consultation, and she's agreed to help out and answer all your diet questions and put some plans in place for you!!! (what a legend)

All you need to do is go here and fill out the details for accurate advice and I'll post back.

Boxer Diet | Post your questions

Get cracking!

Neill
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 03-30-2010 at 01:41 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxer Diet

That's very generous, Neill. Thanks for sharing.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok Mr Nagel,

Here's what she said, I'll put your question first so the others can get the benefit:

Dear Becky,

I'm Chris. I've started an exercise routine this last Febuary to become stronger and to shed some fat.

I'm 22 years of age, and I weight 159-160 lbs. My best weight was a lean 145lbs back in early 2009 when I would frequent a boxing gym. Things have changed since then, but I'd love to get back down to 150lbs.

For training I spend about an hour and a half at standard fitness gym. I start with 20 minutes on a stationary bike, and then afterward, I do a little over an hour of weight training. The weight training isn't very difficult, and I'd consider it to as moderate in intensity. My occupation isn't at all taxing, as I just trade stocks and paint.

I take some supplements, and I've been eating oatmeal and some fruit for breakfast and often eating a bowl of salad with my dinner. I'll eat about 40 grams of protein following my exercise routine in the afternoon, and I often add a 20 gram scoop of protein with my oats in the morning.

I'd like to make better diet/nutrition choices that would be more in tune with me getting lean, and improving my workouts at the gym with adding more activity to my daily lifestyle.

Sincerely,
    Christopher Nagel

=============================================

Answer:

The secret to weight management is to make sure you are consistent with your training programme and diet.

Be careful not to take excess protein in supplement form because this can lead to weight gain. The current research shows having 15-20g post exercise is adequate. Ensure you get good sources of lean protein at mealtimes - turkey, chicken, fish or tofu about 120g
    Your breakfast is good add organic skimmed milk to your porridge has good amounts of omega 3 essential for health. Also contains calcium that is now thought to play a role weight management.

Making sure that you increase your general daily activity to help increase your metabolism and help fat burning.
    Every time you exercise your metabolism will increase even post exercise this phenomenon is called recovering your 'oxygen debt'.

Try adding a 20 minute run each day - or skipping anything that will increase your heart rate.

Eat around training sessions to ensure you have enough fuel. Carbohydrates that have a low glycaemic index are best for weight control. These are sweet potatoes, new potatoes, basmati rice, durum pasta, beans, pulses.

Try cut back on processed foods and cook from scratch so you know what has gone into your food. Use olive oil to cook with.

Hope that helps

Becky Stevenson.
    Sports Nutrition and Advice from Proactivate - Accredited Sports Dietician in London - Homepage

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks a lot.

I'll try to make sure that the protein servings is spread more throughout the day rather than a lot at one given time. I'll look through some cookbooks and build a grocery list around sources of lean protein as well as carbs low on the glycaemic index.

I've been considering going for a run in the mornings for a while now and I think I'll start today, or tomorrow. Probably during the afternoon if I have time, it was 21 degrees Fahrenheit this morning. Too cold for me, even with sweats and long underwear.

I'd like to make a deadline for my goal weight for late May, and work towards that.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice one dude... hope you see the benefit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Thanks a lot.

I'll try to make sure that the protein servings is spread more throughout the day rather than a lot at one given time. I'll look through some cookbooks and build a grocery list around sources of lean protein as well as carbs low on the glycaemic index.

I've been considering going for a run in the mornings for a while now and I think I'll start today, or tomorrow. Probably during the afternoon if I have time, it was 21 degrees Fahrenheit this morning. Too cold for me, even with sweats and long underwear.

I'd like to make a deadline for my goal weight for late May, and work towards that.
    Its usually fairly easy to find a few ways to improve your diet and cut cals. Id love to help out since you're always so helpful to everyone here. Whats your typical day of eating look like?? Include times, and when your workouts are. Also your height and weight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Wes,

I usually have oatmeal for breakfast. I use old-fashioned oats, and add some about 15-20 grams of protein, frozen fruit, strawberries, blueberries, and/or cherries/bananas.

I go to the gym at around 10:30 a.m. or sometimes later in the afternoon. After my workout I have protein shake with a banana thrown in.

If I get hungry I'll have some toast, or occasionally a turkey sandwich. I'll eat an apple before dinner.

The dinner's menu varies. I had lasagna tonight, and home-made tacos, yesterday. 4-5 days in the week, I'll also eat a medium-sized salad on the side.

I eat an orange or a grapefruit in the evening to stave off hunger, although I'll help myself to some desert sometimes.

The challenge has been to cut a lot of impulsive snacking out of my diet. Which, I've only been doing for the last week or so.

I've also going out of my way to get some extra aerobics when I can this last week. I go on a hike with a couple friends about 3 or 4 times a week, and for a few times a week, I'll hit the track in the morning.

I'm about 5'7, and my weight is now around 155lbs in the morning when I get up in the morning.

I'm reasonably pleased with my progress so far. Consistency is going to be the key thing for me, although I'm always looking for little ways I can improve with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

doing this for free is very nice. I submitted my question.
    Thanks for this again

Seb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Hi Wes,

I usually have oatmeal for breakfast. I use old-fashioned oats, and add some about 15-20 grams of protein, frozen fruit, strawberries, blueberries, and/or cherries/bananas.

I go to the gym at around 10:30 a.m. or sometimes later in the afternoon. After my workout I have protein shake with a banana thrown in.

If I get hungry I'll have some toast, or occasionally a turkey sandwich. I'll eat an apple before dinner.

The dinner's menu varies. I had lasagna tonight, and home-made tacos, yesterday. 4-5 days in the week, I'll also eat a medium-sized salad on the side.

I eat an orange or a grapefruit in the evening to stave off hunger, although I'll help myself to some desert sometimes.

The challenge has been to cut a lot of impulsive snacking out of my diet. Which, I've only been doing for the last week or so.

I've also going out of my way to get some extra aerobics when I can this last week. I go on a hike with a couple friends about 3 or 4 times a week, and for a few times a week, I'll hit the track in the morning.

I'm about 5'7, and my weight is now around 155lbs in the morning when I get up in the morning.

I'm reasonably pleased with my progress so far. Consistency is going to be the key thing for me, although I'm always looking for little ways I can improve with.
    Honestly Chris u eat similar to me, except i eat more protein than u. (Im 5'8-5'9 155-160 lbs) I think if u follow this you're not going to have a problem. you seem to have it spot on. Im not surprised.

If u feel like snacking choose something high in protein rather than carbs. That way u will feel fuller, longer. Cottage cheese with fruit is a great choice. If u replace the late night desert with this ^^ you should cut some cals easily and help your muscles recover better.

You can also add in mini workouts here and there to burn extra cals and speed up your metabolism. Things like a quick 1 mile run, 15 mins of jump rope, a few sets of push ups etc will burn a few cals and improve your work capacity at the same time.

Have you read Ross' book Infinite Intensity?? Its prolly my fav workout book.

If none of this is producing fast enough results u can start counting calories and macros using FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal and figure out your BMR and ensure that you're burning more cals than your eating. Its a pain in the ass sometimes, but its the most sure fire way to ensure you lose fat on a steady basis.

GL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Wes, I appreciate your concern.

Anyway, I bought extra fruit, bananas, apples, oranges/tangerines, so that it should stave off any hunger pangs that I get. I also try to drink enough water or tea, and I've found that it helps a lot too.

I'm going to alternate doing a morning run with using the stationary bike, and I'll do some jump rope on days that I use the bike.

I'll do some extra exercises periodically throughout the day, and it should help in the long run.

Thanks, mate. I hope you're doing well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No prob Chris. Hope it goes well for ya. You can get some ideas from RossTraining.com Blog.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
    No prob Chris. Hope it goes well for ya. You can get some ideas from RossTraining.com Blog.
    Yeah, I browse Ross's site, all the time.

Anyway, do you own a copy of Never Gymless? I saw a copy on Amazon for $15, and I'm thinking of getting it, especially since I plan on going on some trips overseas and I'll have very litter exercise gear. If so, what do you think of it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont have it. I have Infinite Intensity which i hear is similar, but uses dumbells along with bodyweight exercises. Never gymless uses bands.

Thread Information