Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Paul Williams needs Emanuel Steward

How many people think that Paul should ditch that terrible trainer he has and make Emanuel his trainer? He needs to use his reach and jab effectively and Emanuel would help him do that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Paul Williams needs Emanuel Steward

I just wonder if it is too late.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm sure paul knows he could fight from distance, probably can even do it to an extent. I just think his mentality is one of a trench fighter, he doesn't care that he could outbox ya from far he just likes to be in a phonebooth, and I think he genuinely enjoys it. However he could definitely learn to keep that right up and somebody needs to scream at him till he gets it. Till he does everyones just going to be shooting those lefts with him that had him rocked a few times Saturday, and that chin will fail him again sooner or later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    I just wonder if it is too late.
    it is too late. He got tagged by Quintana, Margarito, Martinez (all for 12 rounds). In the Cintron fight, it looked like he was going to wilt (my opinion but I could be way off) but Cintron dove out of the ring. Then martinez KO'd him violently. Now back to taking clean shots for 12 rounds.

PW looked off physically in the ring. He was destined to have a short prime and it is over. Too late for Manny to teach him how to not get hit by using his height and reach.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kinds of like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube right now. I have to think Manny doesn't have the patience for Williams too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im in the middle on this one. I wouldn't be so quick to switch when outside of martinez williams has had no real issues. Close your eyes and look back five minutes and everyone was going on and on about how williams was the most feared, would beat anyone from bantam to super heavy etc and so on. If williams is garbage and needs a new trainer winning most of his fights out side of his loss and that one punch then the guys he's beaten need three new trainers. People react to quickly. Ortiz is shit one day and (laughing) can beat floyd the next would be the most recent example. williams is who he is. He'll win some and loose some. Fans are fickle. Go 60-0 and people will say you aint fought no one, Go 59-1 and all of the sudden 60 wins mean nothing and you're crap....just the way it goes i guess. And we wonder why so many records are padded. Paul likes to bang, sit back and enjoy it. If he "boxed" and used his height.......ask the klitch's how reworking your style and perfecting your skill is appreciated.
    Last edited by Mar; 07-12-2011 at 12:22 AM.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    Im in the middle on this one. I wouldn't be so quick to switch when outside of martinez williams has had no real issues. Close your eyes and look back five minutes and everyone was going on and on about how williams was the most feared, would beat anyone from bantam to super heavy etc and so on. If williams is garbage and needs a new trainer winning most of his fights out side of his loss and that one punch then the guys he's beaten need three new trainers. People react to quickly. Ortiz is shit one day and (laughing) can beat floyd the next would be the most recent example. williams is who he is. He'll win some and loose some. Fans are fickle. Go 60-0 and people will say you aint fought no one, Go 59-1 and all of the sudden 60 wins mean nothing and you're crap....just the way it goes i guess. And we wonder why so many records are padded. Paul likes to bang, sit back and enjoy it. If he "boxed" and used his height.......ask the klitch's how reworking your style and perfecting your skill is appreciated.

I dunno, those guys are making $5 million plus every time out and selling our 60,000 seat stadiums. I think PW would like that.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mickster4 View Post
    How many people think that Paul should ditch that terrible trainer he has and make Emanuel his trainer? He needs to use his reach and jab effectively and Emanuel would help him do that.

That terrible trainer of his is like a Father to Paul Williams and has helped get Paul all the way to the top of the sport picking up a world title or two on the way.

Williams isn't about to fire a guy like that nor should he for a hired gun snake oil salesman like Emmanuel Steward.

Paul would be well served to simply...KEEP HIS FUCKING RIGHT HAND UP !
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

That terrible trainer of his is like a Father to Paul Williams and has helped get Paul all the way to the top of the sport picking up a world title or two on the way.

Williams isn't about to fire a guy like that nor should he for a hired gun snake oil salesman like Emmanuel Steward.
    Manny is absolutely a hired gun. So what? As for the "snake oil salesman" I'm not sure where you're getting that. Near as I can figuire Manny's one of the 2-3 most successful trainers of the last 25 or so years.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that Williams has all the attributes to sponsor the Kronk Style very well actually, especially because he doesn't use his reach and height enough. Manny sure knows how to force Williams to make the best of it. As for his precedent performances, one thing that Williams seems notarious for now is his struggle with southpaws and I am sure that any top notch trainer could help fix that problem in the middle run.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be honest, I can't see how Williams could be effective as a typical 'Steward Fighter'. I can't even see how his faults can be remided by the typical Steward mould... He's not gun shy, doesn't have stamina problems, isn't bonecrunchingly powerful and doesn't have a good jab nor anything like a good boxing IQ. A Steward fighter usually has at least 3 of these faults/ assets.

Give him Enzo Calzaghe I say
    Last edited by Jimanuel Boogustus; 07-12-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think getting Manny is going to help Williams much, It hasn't helped Chad Dawson.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    I don't think getting Manny is going to help Williams much, It hasn't helped Chad Dawson.

Chad Dawson went out there against a top contender and was basically just beta testing the stuff Stewart was teaching him. It says a lot about the talent of a fighter to go out there and test run what the trainer is teaching him against a top fighter trying to beat him. Its almost like saying "I'm so good, I can go out there and just test drive lessons 1 through 10 and not have to worry about losing." That impressed me about Dawsons performance that he went out there at half speed testing mode, and won against a top fighter easily.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

Manny is absolutely a hired gun. So what? As for the "snake oil salesman" I'm not sure where you're getting that. Near as I can figuire Manny's one of the 2-3 most successful trainers of the last 25 or so years.
    What did Steward do for Jermain Taylor, Kermit Cintron and Chad Dawson ? Absolutely NOTHING. Not a damn thing. He put their old trainers, you know the ones that got them to the big time, out of a job and leeched off Taylor and Cintron.

The man uses his HBO gig as a platform to prey on boxers and worm his way into their corner and big pay days from them.

Come to think of it Andy Lee hasn't exactly panned out as the next superstar either has he ?

Steward is a good trainer, but he's not God like many think he is. Also his commentating is offensive as he flip flops constantly between whoever is winning then at the end always has to say "I told you so".
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Steward could do nothing for Williams because quite frankly Paul just isn't bright enough to take on board what he's taught. The guy apparently had 20 fights as an am in which he had a sub. 500 record. Now obviously that's the ams, but what it tells you is that he found it very difficult going in against guys on the fly & winning. He honed himself as a pro, but what he really did was take advantage of a particularly individual & remarkable athleticism.

The guy has never had to really learnt to move his head & relied on a great chin & pulling back off the shot in a straight line. If getting bust up in sparring, beaten by crafty boxers & actually being flat KO'd doesn't make you change up, nothing will whoever the trainer is. You also have to think that if he really stayed behind that jab whether he would have had the success he has. The ability to throw as many punches as he does means that he will open up to a guy with the head movement & ability to create angles as the opponents who've beaten him have.

Imo, he wouldn't have a W over Winky Wright (faded but the best name on his CV for me) if he was a typical Kronk boxer as it was a stylistically perfect match-up for him as he is. He also may have struggled to shock Margarito in the way he did early. The style has got him alphabets at 2 weights & millions of dollars & probably a damn sight more fans.

Thread Information