Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Abner Mares vs. Eric Morel - Saturday night fight thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    There didn't seem to be much interest in this Showtime Card last night, only a few members posting on the thread. From now on i'm going to be a little more selective when I post a fight thread., it's not worth it if only 4-5 members respond.

Hop vs. Dawson on HBO next weekend (April 28th), it might end up sucking, but the rematch deserves a fight thread.
    I never comment on or look at these threads at the time because I'm on the west coast and SHO and HBO don't play the HD versions of the fights until 2-3 hours after they've played elsewhere. But I do like looking at these threads as soon as I've watched the fights and seen the results. I was surprised at how little commentary there was on this one.

Maybe I'm just expressing my bias but I was once again not super-impressed with Mares and was quite impressed with Moreno. I still think Moreno wins a fairly wide UD if they fight each other. I just don't like watching Mares -- it's a little like Tim Bradley. Big heart, pretty good at lots of things but no aspect of his game is really virtuosic or elite (the body work comes closest, when he's able to keep it legal) -- and not much power. I just don't find him exciting to watch, this fight included.

I thought Moreno looked great, again. Awesome defense without running and great timing and precision. He is the real deal and deserves fights with the top-tier guys, starting with Mares.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its a shame more people (including me) didn't post in here during the fights, cus they really were quality fights.

Moreno is a ghost in there, his last 5, now 6 opponents have landed under 17% of their punches ! That is astounding. He is extremely slick, and can put some steam on his punches when he wants to. His opponent was passive aggressive the whole fight, De La Mora couldn't make up his mind if he wanted to be in there or not.

I thought Morel showed great heart and class in defeat. Even afterwards he admitted that 10 years ago he still would have lost to Mares.

I think Mares throws tremendous combos and is able to keep an unreal workrate. That high work rate really seemed to diffuse much offense from Morel who was looking to pick his spots.

Mares vs. Moreno would be a great match. I'd favor Moreno by a little bit because he is so damn hard to hit.

Mares could be competitive with Donaire, but I really don't know if he could beat Donaire.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim the BoxingManiac View Post
    This fight needs to be over, how De La Mora won 24 fights is a mystery.
    Give the guy some credit. After all, you're not the guy in the ring getting punched in the face by Anselmo Moreno.
    So true, if Anselmo wasn't so small i'd probably have gotten KO'd by the first body shot.

Sorry to diss' De La Mora, but I just wasn't impressed him at all, his 24 wins must have been over cab drivers in Mexico.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    There didn't seem to be much interest in this Showtime Card last night, only a few members posting on the thread. From now on i'm going to be a little more selective when I post a fight thread., it's not worth it if only 4-5 members respond.

Hop vs. Dawson on HBO next weekend (April 28th), it might end up sucking, but the rematch deserves a fight thread.
    I never comment on or look at these threads at the time because I'm on the west coast and SHO and HBO don't play the HD versions of the fights until 2-3 hours after they've played elsewhere. But I do like looking at these threads as soon as I've watched the fights and seen the results. I was surprised at how little commentary there was on this one.

Maybe I'm just expressing my bias but I was once again not super-impressed with Mares and was quite impressed with Moreno. I still think Moreno wins a fairly wide UD if they fight each other. I just don't like watching Mares -- it's a little like Tim Bradley. Big heart, pretty good at lots of things but no aspect of his game is really virtuosic or elite (the body work comes closest, when he's able to keep it legal) -- and not much power. I just don't find him exciting to watch, this fight included.

I thought Moreno looked great, again. Awesome defense without running and great timing and precision. He is the real deal and deserves fights with the top-tier guys, starting with Mares.
    Agreed, Mares vs Moreno would be a good one to watch.

I posted a Mares -Agbeko fight thread, and pretty much got the same result as the fights Saturday, there just doesn't seem to be that much interest in Mares. It's no big thing, unless Mares is fighting a bigger name, it's probably not worth posting a fight thread.

cheers shza - Hop-Dawson II Saturday, whoohooo. lmao

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Its a shame more people (including me) didn't post in here during the fights, cus they really were quality fights.

Moreno is a ghost in there, his last 5, now 6 opponents have landed under 17% of their punches ! That is astounding. He is extremely slick, and can put some steam on his punches when he wants to. His opponent was passive aggressive the whole fight, De La Mora couldn't make up his mind if he wanted to be in there or not.

I thought Morel showed great heart and class in defeat. Even afterwards he admitted that 10 years ago he still would have lost to Mares.

I think Mares throws tremendous combos and is able to keep an unreal workrate. That high work rate really seemed to diffuse much offense from Morel who was looking to pick his spots.

Mares vs. Moreno would be a great match. I'd favor Moreno by a little bit because he is so damn hard to hit.

Mares could be competitive with Donaire, but I really don't know if he could beat Donaire
    Now that would be a hell of a fight, Mares takes a good shot, but I believe Donaire flattens him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Give the guy some credit. After all, you're not the guy in the ring getting punched in the face by Anselmo Moreno.
    So true, if Anselmo wasn't so small i'd probably have gotten KO'd by the first body shot.

Sorry to diss' De La Mora, but I just wasn't impressed him at all, his 24 wins must have been over cab drivers in Mexico.
    I wasn't impressed with De La Mora. But he did lose a close fight with Koki Kameda. Who can fight and is ranked 6 by ring magazine in the weight class.

Think the fight showed the big gap between a legit top 10 guy in Kameda and an absolutely elite guy in the division like Moreno.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mares & Moreno both put on fantastic performances!

Love to see them fight each other. Both guys are going to be a tough ask for anyone around the weight!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Those well placed body shots can give anybody hell, normally.

Yeah. De La Mora was overmatched. But he wasn't terrible. Sure he looked terrible, but he was in with a guy who was simply faster, stronger, and smarter. It's hard to look good with any match like that.

Angelo Dundee always said that there were no bums in boxing. For the most part, there's credibility to that statement if we ignore the extremes, like Charlie Zelenoff and Kid Thunder.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was more impressed with Morel guts and heart than Mares youth and skills. In the later rounds there were openings that a younger more talented fighter could have taken and exposed Mares.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I was more impressed with Morel guts and heart than Mares youth and skills. In the later rounds there were openings that a younger more talented fighter could have taken and exposed Mares.
    Morel is still a very capable fighter. Even after this. Mares is just very good!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Morel demonstrated that he is still capable to school a lot of fighters out there, just not Mares.

Morel vs. Victor Perez I think thats his name the guy who fought Mares to a near draw, that could be competitive.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Morel demonstrated that he is still capable to school a lot of fighters out there, just not Mares.

Morel vs. Victor Perez I think thats his name the guy who fought Mares to a near draw, that could be competitive.
    Nah Perez is finished. After he was stopped by Darchinyan & now hasn't fought in a year.

Morel would be better of fighting an Agbeko or Ramos. He gives guys like Mathebula/ Molitor trouble

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

Nah Perez is finished. After he was stopped by Darchinyan & now hasn't fought in a year.

Morel would be better of fighting an Agbeko or Ramos. He gives guys like Mathebula/ Molitor trouble
    Those sound like better fights.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information