Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: After Watching Roy Jones-John Ruiz...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default After Watching Roy Jones-John Ruiz...

I have more respect for him and think he is even greater. I forgot how much muscle he gained for the Ruiz fight. He weighed 193 for Ruiz and 8 months later fought Antonio Tarver at 175..and beat him. Yes it was controversial, but he did win. Then he goes on to lose three staight, two by KO. I think Roy lost focus at this point in his career, and after winning the Heavyweight title and all his Light Heavyweight title defences he wasnt motivated and didnt feel he had anymore to prove. After three losses at his age most would call it a career. After a little break he continues. He wins two straight, looking older and with a lack of killer intinct, but a little more motivated. Then he fights Felix Trinidad weighing 169.5 for the fight, his lowest in 12 years at 39 years of age. Similar circumstance to the strain De La Hoya recently put on his body, but the outcome was much different. Trinidad being past his prime and above his ideal weight didnt help, still not a bad win for the old man. This sets Roy up for his match with Calzaghe. Thinking about it now after all Roy has been through the last five years, his ups and downs, and his 3-3 record in his last 6 fights, going in with a 45-0 fighter seems like too big a task. He was beaten, but he went the distance with another all time great fighter and at his age he has nothing to be ashamed of and did well.
    Going back to the Ruiz fight, if it never happened maybe Roy would have avoided three of his loses, but he chose to accomplished something that not many have done beating a prime heavyweight champion. He could have retired an outstanding 49-1, beating every man he ever fought, but he took a risk and continued like great champions do. I give him credit for that.
    Only Forum Amature With Well Over 2000 Posts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: After Watching Roy Jones-John Ruiz...

that was roys last great performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It wrecked him to get all the way up there and then come back down.. He was never the same..

Maybe he should have stayed at heavyweight?? It seems a little ridiculous, and imagining him against Lewis or someone like that seems like a total mismatch.. But maybe he could have glorified himself even more if he had tried to stay up there and get a few more wins at heavyweight.. He said right after Tarver that he wanted Tyson.. Obviously $$$ was a big motivator there, and the HUGENESS of being the P4P #1 and stepping in the ring with one of the great heavyweights of, forever... Maybe the course of things would have been a little better if he stayed up there... It certainly hurt him to go up and come down...

Some food for thought anyway..
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think ego brought Roy back down to fight Tarver. He was in another stratosphere; he didn't NEED to fight Tarver considering the huge fights waiting for him at HW. But Tarver was running those big lips and Roy wanted to shut him up. A fight with Tyson would have made way more money and Roy could have picked at the fringe elite in the division and then called it quits with only 1 loss. At that point in his career Tyson would have been very dangerous, but very beatable.
    Oops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think if he styed at heavyweight and tried to unify with Lewis he would come up short, I think he would beat Holyfield, but there would have been a risk factor there as there would Tyson. I think he would have beat Tyson and that may have been a better looking win at that time. Him beating Ruiz for the title is still overlooked imo as he was a real champion.His ego did bring him back down to fight Tarver and Roy had no real intention of fighting at heavyweight for more than one fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If the Cruiser division had been stronger at that point he could have fought there. If a David Haye was around at that point he may well have.
    Was Chris Byrd champion at the time Roy fought at HW, cos i think that would have been a win for Roy too.

Calzaghe ever thought of going for a HW title? Could be a good way of proving he is as good as Roy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

after watching the ease with which Jones danced, pranced, clowned, hotdogged, did the strut, and outboxed Ruiz I kinda think he probably didn't need the whole extra 20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I liked that he jabbed a lot, and they were hard snapping jabs.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its was a good performance, but it was against Ruiz. Ruiz doesnt have all that many plaudits and yet it was a great performance because Jones Jr went up and beat him? Hmm.

It was an impressive and competent win. But it was Ruiz after all.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I have more respect for him and think he is even greater. I forgot how much muscle he gained for the Ruiz fight. He weighed 193 for Ruiz and 8 months later fought Antonio Tarver at 175..and beat him. Yes it was controversial, but he did win. Then he goes on to lose three staight, two by KO. I think Roy lost focus at this point in his career, and after winning the Heavyweight title and all his Light Heavyweight title defences he wasnt motivated and didnt feel he had anymore to prove. After three losses at his age most would call it a career. After a little break he continues. He wins two straight, looking older and with a lack of killer intinct, but a little more motivated. Then he fights Felix Trinidad weighing 169.5 for the fight, his lowest in 12 years at 39 years of age. Similar circumstance to the strain De La Hoya recently put on his body, but the outcome was much different. Trinidad being past his prime and above his ideal weight didnt help, still not a bad win for the old man. This sets Roy up for his match with Calzaghe. Thinking about it now after all Roy has been through the last five years, his ups and downs, and his 3-3 record in his last 6 fights, going in with a 45-0 fighter seems like too big a task. He was beaten, but he went the distance with another all time great fighter and at his age he has nothing to be ashamed of and did well.
    Going back to the Ruiz fight, if it never happened maybe Roy would have avoided three of his loses, but he chose to accomplished something that not many have done beating a prime heavyweight champion. He could have retired an outstanding 49-1, beating every man he ever fought, but he took a risk and continued like great champions do. I give him credit for that.
    Thats quite a positive spin you put on Roy's non effort against Calzaghe.

You should be a politician bro.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

It is the truth. But to be honest the Calzaghe fight was an after thought to me when I made this post. To say it was a non effort isnt fair though. He fought as well as he could, there just wasnt much there in the tank after 50+ fights.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

Roy was far from his best for sure, but he showed a lot more than DLH showed against PAC, IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

RJJ was the shiiit during the 90's and his losses can't take away what he has done through out his career. It's obvious that his KO losses were highlight reels for his opponents but I say it is only is because he's Roy Jones Jr. If not of RJJ Tarver would never be on PPV and Glen Johnson wouldn't be able to ressurect his career. and we all knew Calzaghe was just to 'fresh' for a washed-up RJJ. but a prime RJJ would definitely kick his ass for sure.
    An empty can is always noisy.

Thread Information