Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Sugar' Shane Mosley hypotheticals vs the greats

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default 'Sugar' Shane Mosley hypotheticals vs the greats

Since Shane has officially retired I would like to make a thread where we discuss how he may have fared vs some of boxings best talents from 135 to 154.

Wilfred Benitez
    Mike McCallum
    Terry Norris

'Sugar' Ray Robinson
    'Sugar' Ray Leonard
    Tommy Hearns
    Felix Trinidad
    Kid Gavilan
    Fritzie Zivic
    Pipino Cuevas
    Curtis Cokes
    Carmen Basilio

Aaron Pryor
    Julio Cesar Chavez
    Nicoliano Locche
    Kostya Tszyu
    Antonio Cerevantes
    Ricky Hatton
    Arturo Gatti

Roberto Duran
    Pernell Whittaker
    Carlos Ortiz
    Henry Armstrong

And so on and so forth.....how would he do? Would there be any fighters that would give him trouble? I can think of 5 right off the top of my head: Hearns, Duran, Whittaker, Leonard, and Robinson, that would more than likely beat Shane. What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 'Sugar' Shane Mosley hypotheticals vs the greats

Aint got time to look at all this at the moment, but imo he peaked at 135 and should be mentioned in the same breath as Duran, Benny Leonard, Joe Gans etc.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shane would lose to sweet pea but asides that I think he would edge over duran due to his hand speed.

Shane vs the hawk would have put hagler hearns to shame. That would have been the fight of the millennium.
    Last edited by DavilaJones; 06-07-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's a hell of a list, I think he would've lost to Whittaker at any weight, but had every chance of beating Duran at 135. I would pick him over every single 140 pounder you list I think, he would've steamrolled Hatton and Gatti, those are elementary to me. At welter I'd basically take the top 3 names to beat him, but noone else offhand. 154 was not his weight, he'd already lost so much by the time he moved up there. He'd have basically a punchers chance against NOrris in what would be a hell of a fight, but I couldn't see him possibly beating McCallum or Benitez on their best night there. The top 3 fights I'd want to see would be against Duran Pryor and Hearns, those would all be incredible.

El Kabong Guest

I think Duran-Mosley is a hell of a fight....one like Duran-Leonard 1 but where Duran meets a touch more resistence. I think Duran could nick it more often than not.

I think the most difficult fights for Shane would be: Leonard, Robinson, Hearns, and Sweet Pea.

Now that I think about it Mosley vs Zab Judah wouldn't have been bad at 140. I think that would have been a very fun fight to watch for as long as it lasted.

What about Mosley vs Juan Manuel Marquez at 135?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosley steamrolls the great JMM and Iove Juan. I think so because Shane was much faster and good god he hit much harder. If you got speed and power and got a chin made of granite....well yeah

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Since Shane has officially retired I would like to make a thread where we discuss how he may have fared vs some of boxings best talents from 135 to 154.

Wilfred Benitez (Shane loses by close decision. "Radar of St Just" too elusive for him).
    Mike McCallum (tossup)
    Terry Norris (Shane by SD. 154 out of Shane's comfort zone).

'Sugar' Ray Robinson (no opinion)
    'Sugar' Ray Leonard (Beautiful fight, but nod goes to SRR... ATG boxer).
    Tommy Hearns (Vernon put Shane on queer street. Tommy finishes him. Tommy was hell on shorter fighters).
    Felix Trinidad (Close, but lean toward Trinidad by TKO late. Shane could win by decision).
    Kid Gavilan (no opinion)
    Fritzie Zivic (no opinion)
    Pipino Cuevas (Shane by wide UD... maybe by TKO).
    Curtis Cokes (no opinion)
    Carmen Basilio (Shane by comfortable decision).

Aaron Pryor (Huge fight. I like Shane's technique and speed over Pryor's workrate. Shane by UD).
    Julio Cesar Chavez (Shane by decision... then gets robbed).
    Nicoliano Locche (no opinion)
    Kostya Tszyu (I like Kostya... but Shane by comfortable decision).
    Antonio Cerevantes (no opinion)
    Ricky Hatton (If Ricky not in PBF or Pac's league, not in Shane's either. Shane by UD or late TKO.... unless in UK with Parris as ref).
    Arturo Gatti (Shane by late TKO).

Roberto Duran (Oh wow... cannot pick against "Mano de Piedra". Duran by UD).
    Pernell Whittaker (Natural size becoming an issue. Shane by close decision).
    Carlos Ortiz (Ditto)
    Henry Armstrong (no opinion)

And so on and so forth.....how would he do? Would there be any fighters that would give him trouble? I can think of 5 right off the top of my head: Hearns, Duran, Whittaker, Leonard, and Robinson, that would more than likely beat Shane. What do you guys think?

Good list.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why do you lot still rate him so highly after he himself admitting being nothing but a filthy dirty drugs cheat?

Mayorga that beat Forrest beats the shit out of Mosely.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike McCallum would beat Shane at 154, as would Norris and Benetiz.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man, lots of names. I like Shane but I cannot see Mosley beating the best of the best straight throwing boxers on that list. His 135 run was not exactly stacked with huge name at all. He was out boxed by Cotto, Forrest, Wright but got Oscar flip a coin on one of them. I think at respected times those Lts listed were way to deep for him. His squaring up really caught up to him. He was not this one punch killer but hooky-body speed and shined vs guys that stayed in and played ball with him. I believe is power gets over stated a bit. He ain't touching McCallum at 154.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosley has trouble with a lot of those guys on that list. He'd easily beat gatti and hatton because they are there to be hit and don't really pose much of a threat to him. I think pryor, while certainly a threat, is too much right there to get hit and Shane could probably beat him. In fact, it wouldn't suprise me to see him get a 3kd tko without ever really hurting Pryor.
    My knowledge of Locche is limited, but what I've seen leads me to believe that Mosley would beat him. Locche is veryhard to hit, but he can't keep Mosley off of him, and I don't think that you'll beat Mosley if he isn't a bit afraid of you. That is why I think he'd probably beat Whitaker. Shane is just as fast, and at 135 was real confident and slick. I call him and Benitez at 147 a toss-up. A fight with Cuevas could turn out like the Margarito fight, but if Cuevas gets home early, he'd stop Mosley.
    Those other guys are a class above mosley, and when you start talking about guys like Robinson, leonard, Zivic, Gavilan and Basilio, they'd just run Shane out of the ring.
    mosley steamrolled guys at 135 because he had a major advantage in physicality and he wasn't afraid to let himself fight and do all that he was capable of doing. At 147 and above, this was not the case and he fought scared. This began in the Rivera fight, and it became really evident in the first DeLaHoya fight. Oscar had the same problem and that is why that fight looked like two old ladies fighting over a clothesline.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think anyone who fights non square and tight out from a behind a good jab can mess with him greatly over distance and anyone who opens up square and tries to mix it up for no great reason gets hit hard at the wrong time; cause Shane timed others so he was moving as he's landing. As soon as his feet and movement wern't quiet following his thoughts , his power followed suit.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I think anyone who fights non square and tight out from a behind a good jab can mess with him greatly over distance and anyone who opens up square and tries to mix it up for no great reason gets hit hard at the wrong time; cause Shane timed others so he was moving as he's landing. As soon as his feet and movement wern't quiet following his thoughts , his power followed suit.
    That is real true. At 135 I thought shane was great because he would not only bob and weave, but hit you as he weaved under. His first fight at 147 was Rivera and I've always thought that, at some point, Rivera hurt him, or he somehow felt the strength of a welterweight, because he fought differently from there forward, his whole career. There was a hesitancy that hadn't been there before.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosley's only great performance at 147lb was the first DLH fight, it was his crowning glory. He was a great Lightweight champion one of the best 5 of all time IMO, he's competitive with everyone from 140-147lb, but i think he loses more than he wins on that list.

The dream fights being V Duran at 135 and Pryor at 140lb.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everyone just ognore the fact that he is an admitted steroids cheat...

YouTube - Shane Mosley Admits to Knowingly Using EPO in Lawsuit Against BALCO's Victor Conte

Thread Information