Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Rocky Marciano---like or dislike

i say most definitly one of the greatest hw's - mayb not the greatest--but certinitaly up there. his claim to faim: never lost a fight. i guess there had 2b atleast 1 hw with a perfect record. so alltime great or not?

i think hes 1 of the greatest cuz his best attribute:heart

he was undefeated cuz of heart--doing whatever it takes 2 win the fight, not giving up. he reperesents the true spirit of boxing--

he was a cool fighter 2 watch because his punches looked like he was throwing fast balls -throwng haymaker after haymaker

his stamina was unbelievable-like the energizer bunny--just keeps going and going
    y people dont like him--his opposition--which wasnt all that great but it was what it was. if u look at it joe louis had the same quality opposition. marciano never lost a fight--never took a fight lightly--and no1 can ever take that away from him.
    the main reason i put this guy in my top 5--is because of heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Rocky Marciano---like or dislike

of course hes an all time great. Like you say perhaps not the greatest but without a doubt to be lower then top 15 in anyones list would be a HUGE injustice to him. Historians say he was by far the most conditioned HW of all time....sheer determination, heart and will to win make the guy a legend anyways...put that along with a HUGE punch a granite chin and a unbeaten record you have to say hes an all time great no doubt.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like.

One of the hardest punchers P4P of all time had some great fights edge of your seat fights. Love his early career KO's some brutal beatings he handed out to Pretzie, Jefferson and DiGiorgio.

It's crazy to think that Layne was the betting fav. when he faced Rocky being that he had previously beaten Jersey Joe. That Layne KO was brutal in the sense that when Rocky hit him it took Laynes body about 5 more seconds before he actually felt the effect of the punch and he fell forward.

Love his fights with LaStarza I know people always talk about the second fight but that 1st one was back and forth all night.

The Ezzard fights were both great fights IMO.

One things for sure about Rocky if there was doubt of him actually wining a fight he'd go back in there and dance off with them again. He also won all of his rematches by KO/TKO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cockey cockney
    of course hes an all time great. Like you say perhaps not the greatest but without a doubt to be lower then top 15 in anyones list would be a HUGE injustice to him. Historians say he was by far the most conditioned HW of all time....sheer determination, heart and will to win make the guy a legend anyways...put that along with a HUGE punch a granite chin and a unbeaten record you have to say hes an all time great no doubt.
    Thats a little hyperbolic he didn't have better stamina than Holyfield, Prime Tua, prime Ali, prime Ibeabuchi... I think he was kind of like Hatton in that he fought older guys he was able to hunt down. He definitely hit hard, but I think he was a limited fighter who fought at the right time. Don't get me wrong he would be right up there in the Ali era, but he wouldn't have been on top... I think Frazier would have beaten him, Liston, prime Louis, Ali would have danced around him, Holmes, Lewis, Holyfield, J. Johnson, Tunney. I think he was great, but a step a below the best ever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cockey cockney

Pretty much sums him up 100%......Though I do think he came along in the right era and made the best of it....Tough tough guy though.....skill wise he was an oaf...Rocky was a fighter not a boxer that is for sure....but he had those natural aspects that made up for it
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

ICB Guest

Exciting brawling style with 1 punch KO power and is a nice guy outside the ring whats not too like ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing
    Exciting brawling style with 1 punch KO power and is a nice guy outside the ring whats not too like ??
    what about when you said something along the lines of his opponents are not great

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing
    what about when you said something along the lines of his opponents are not great
    I said his opposition was questionable i didn't say i disliked Rocky Marciano, Thats totally different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quality of opposition maybe but guess what he beat everyone he had to.To be one of the greats you have to fight everyone and win and that's exactly what he did.To not put him up as one of the best heavyweight's is crazy.To me a very underated fighter simply because everyone will point and say "Ali would beat him".What also makes him interesting was his size I mean I don't think he ever went over 190 lbs. So by today's standards he would be small even for a cruiserweight.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Fightfan
    Quality of opposition maybe but guess what he beat everyone he had to.To be one of the greats you have to fight everyone and win and that's exactly what he did.To not put him up as one of the best heavyweight's is crazy.To me a very underated fighter simply because everyone will point and say "Ali would beat him".What also makes him interesting was his size I mean I don't think he ever went over 190 lbs. So by today's standards he would be small even for a cruiserweight.
    Well put FightFan...
    To say his opposition is questionable is digging deep.
    Can anyone here list fighters whom he ducked and or could have fought that are MORE prominent then Jersey Joe, Ezzard, LaStarza, Cockell, Louis and Layne?

ICB Guest

Louis, Charles, Walcott, were all old and past there prime. In fact why didn't he fight Patterson or Ingemar ?? I think Marciano retired just at the right time. I never said he ducked anyone i said his best wins were against past there prime fighters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Marciano one of my most favorite fighters

MYf avorite fight was with him and Roland LaStarza 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I will argue this to the end, but Marciano was more like Cotto than like Tyson in terms of his punch. He would break guys down round after round, and then he would be able to KO them. Also to Nick it wasn't that he didn't fight everyone that was available as much as there was nobody available when he fought... Ezzard Charles was really old, and a naturally smaller guy in the first place, Joe Louis was comming out of retirement and he was really old. Walcott was already very old as well, and I might add that he was really outboxing Marciano, but he just was too old. IMO Marciano was in one of the weakest divisions the heavyweight has seen probably third after the heavyweight division a couple of years ago, and the holmes reign division.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like him. He hits very hard and is incredibly tough. Plus he won all his fights. He'd get moved to by so many other greats but thats fair enough.. He weighed less than most cruiserweights do now.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Thread Information