Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Baseball

My American brothers can you fact me up on baseall please.

Infield and outfield. Is infield in the diamond, and outfield everyting else? Is it like cricket, do you have your more athletic fielders closer to the bat and your plodders having a rest as far away from the bat as possible?

What sets the fielders at the bases apart from the rest, is it ability or physical....both?

Their gloves, obviously the catcher has more protective kit and from what I can tell a thicker glove but I'v seen pitchers gloves, fielders gloves, first base gloves etc......why so many and whats their differences?

Yes........I've been playing baseball today. Got a sore shoulder to prove it. Catching with a glove across your body is tough
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Baseball

Yes the infield is the diamond. The middle infield positions (second base and shortstop) tend to be very athletic because they have to have very quick feet and great reaction time. The guys in the outfield tend to be the fastest guys on the team because they have to cover the most ground. The first baseman usually is along with the catcher as the slower more plodding guys but tend to have a big power bat. The first baseman doesn't really have to move around much.

The difference in the gloves is kind of minute in a way. The catcher glove is obviously different. The first basemen glove is real long and wide so that they can easier pick badly thrown balls from infielders. The other positions in the infield have a smaller glove where the pocket isn't as deep. This is so that when they have to make a quick exchange from glove to barehand they don't have the ball getting stuck in the pocket. Outfielders gloves are similar but a bit longer and deeper pocket but not to the extent of a first baseman glove. Pitchers glove can be an infield or outfield glove it just means that the webbing is completely closed, so hitters can't see the grip on a ball.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes the infield is the diamond. The middle infield positions (second base and shortstop) tend to be very athletic because they have to have very quick feet and great reaction time. The guys in the outfield tend to be the fastest guys on the team because they have to cover the most ground. The first baseman usually is along with the catcher as the slower more plodding guys but tend to have a big power bat. The first baseman doesn't really have to move around much.

The difference in the gloves is kind of minute in a way. The catcher glove is obviously different. The first basemen glove is real long and wide so that they can easier pick badly thrown balls from infielders. The other positions in the infield have a smaller glove where the pocket isn't as deep. This is so that when they have to make a quick exchange from glove to barehand they don't have the ball getting stuck in the pocket. Outfielders gloves are similar but a bit longer and deeper pocket but not to the extent of a first baseman glove. Pitchers glove can be an infield or outfield glove it just means that the webbing is completely closed, so hitters can't see the grip on a ball.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh God this could take forever.

OK, let's start with defense.

The infield corner positions are usually big men, power hitters and needn't be great defenders. The middle infielders, shortstop and second base tend to be very agile, quick men, though lately shortstops have gotten big. Defense matters more "up the middle" because most balls are hit there. The catcher is the coach on the field. He needn't be athletic or a great hitter but he has to be very smart (as he decides what pitch will be thrown), have a good throwing arm and be tough. They take a real beating.

In the outfield the speediest guy plays center and if he's a big hitter that's a bonus. The right fielder should have a big arm (for the long throw to third base) and big bat and the left fielder can stink in the field but must swing a big bat.

The pitcher just has to get men out, but in today's sport are usually large, hard throwing men. The most common pitch is the fastball. Three things determine the success of a pitcher. Velocity, moveent and location. Have all three and you're a God. Have any two on a given day and you can win. Velocity doesn't just mean how fast. Changing speeds is crucial. Movement means the more the pitch does not travel in a straight line? The better. Even the best fastballs "move" or "break" as they approach the hitter. Curveballs in a perfect world break straight down from 12 to 6 on a clock, a slider is thrown hard like a fastball, with a snap of the wrist and breaks very late and just a little. A change up is just that. Thrown with the same motion as a fastball, but due to a different grip comes more slowly to the plate. Other less common pitches include a splitter, a knuckleball, a palmball, a screwball.

At bat the first two guys should be speedy runners with the ability to get on base. The best hitter overall usually bats third to drie the first two in, the fourth spot goes to the best long ball hitter, fifth to the second best long ball hitter and 6-9 to the remaining guys.

I guess that's a start.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Went to see The Red Sox v The Angels a few years ago.

As a Brit, I had very little idea what was going on, but some guy called Mo got loads of shit from the Red Sox crowd and I got hopelessly drunk.

Good night all round.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by FTMatty; 07-19-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    24 Beers in a slab, 24 hours in the day.......go figure.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't know where else to put this, so I dredged up an old baseball thread.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...id=mailsignout

"Manny Machado suspended by MLB after tirade against umpire"

Anyway, there's this news about Manny Machado, former Dodger star now with the San Diego Padres, getting a one-game suspension for being overly aggressive toward an umpire.

One lousy game?? Nothing less than a week would be fitting for this obnoxious punk.

@El Kabong , you following this? So Manny finally ends up with a baseball team willing to sign him.... and it didn't take long for the retard to get in hot water again.

Geez..... I can't wait till the day someone "Odor's" him and lays him out flat. Damn bum.......

El Kabong Guest

Machado is a piece of shit. There are tough players out there who you hate to play against but they are so good at what they do that you still want them on your team....Machado isn't even that, he's a selfish classless player

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great Class.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Thread Information