Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gennady Golovkin v Daniel Jacobs - 18/3/17 MSG

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    I think all commissions and sanctioning bodies should implement re-hydration stipulations like the IBF does. It will force more fighters to fight closer to their natural divisions.
    The only problem with that is i can see even more fights getting cancelled which is not a option i think they will take. IF you can make the cut then you are in division i really do not care how much the re hydrate to. If a person is cutting weight and not having a problem or getting caught cheating then i do not see the problem with it. Some guys are not good at cutting and can not take the strain but others just can like anything just a advantage they try to gain.
    If fights get cancelled then promoters and networks will be weary of working with those fighters that miss weight. Sure some guys can do it but it doesn't make it right. It is also unhealthy. Not to mention the potential risks involved when one guy out weighs the other by a large margin. If everyone involved took a stand they would have no choice but to follow suit.
    To be honest there is a lot more things in boxing i would want to tackle before I would go against that. As long as you cut the weight and you can do it with out your kidneys going out then fight at that weight. If that is problem we can go back to having same day way ins i think it is weird to tell a guy how much hey can hydrate after he makes weight that is just unhealthy for fighter. So either keep this or make back to same day so they know exactly what they can do.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think all commissions and sanctioning bodies should implement re-hydration stipulations like the IBF does. It will force more fighters to fight closer to their natural divisions.
    The only problem with that is i can see even more fights getting cancelled which is not a option i think they will take. IF you can make the cut then you are in division i really do not care how much the re hydrate to. If a person is cutting weight and not having a problem or getting caught cheating then i do not see the problem with it. Some guys are not good at cutting and can not take the strain but others just can like anything just a advantage they try to gain.
    If fights get cancelled then promoters and networks will be weary of working with those fighters that miss weight. Sure some guys can do it but it doesn't make it right. It is also unhealthy. Not to mention the potential risks involved when one guy out weighs the other by a large margin. If everyone involved took a stand they would have no choice but to follow suit.
    To be honest there is a lot more things in boxing i would want to tackle before I would go against that. As long as you cut the weight and you can do it with out your kidneys going out then fight at that weight. If that is problem we can go back to having same day way ins i think it is weird to tell a guy how much hey can hydrate after he makes weight that is just unhealthy for fighter. So either keep this or make back to same day so they know exactly what they can do.
    Let us be honest as well think all the networks are going to not work with Canelo and not have the biggest draw at the moment fight and he not only guy who popular that cuts a lot. I am just saying this sport about money and i doubt there going to change to something that would end up hurting there bank account. Not to mention as the weigh ins are now there still way less deaths then there was in old way in method of doing things.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like I said just because it's legal doesn't make it right. Slavery was legal at one stage. Changes for the better need to start somewhere.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gatti vs Gamache Facts & Stats

• Arturo Gatti (30-4) vs Joey Gamache (55-3)

• The popular Arturo Gatti was very unpopular on this night. He'd gained a mind-blowing 19 lbs since the weigh-in a day prior which resulted in a sizable weight disparity between him and his opponent, Joey Gamache.

• On fight night, HBO recorded Gamache at 145 lbs while Gatti was 160; A welterweight versus a middleweight.

• The weigh-in, itself, was also controversial as some believe the scales may have been tweaked for Gatti, enabling him to weigh-in a pound or two above the contracted catchweight of 141 lbs

• Looking much larger and stronger than his foe, Gatti brutally knocked out Gamache in less than two rounds, sending him crashing to the canvas in an unconscious state

• Not only did Gamache's boxing career come to an abrupt halt, his life would be forever changed

• Gamache, who almost died in the hospital that night, received permanent brain damage

• As of 2009 (nine years after the bout) according to NY Daily News, Gamache suffered from intense migraines and depression, had difficulty staying employed and took numerous medications to quell the pain and depression.

• A mismatch? On paper, this was a solid match-up. Gamache was also a former world champion and entered the bout having won 55 of 58 pro bouts, registering 38 knockouts along the way. He was on a 10-fight win streak and was clearly not a weak opponent.

The Controversy

Official weigh-ins occur the day before a bout, enabling fighters to rehydrate to their actual weight in the 28-32 hours leading up to the bout.

Some fighters, like Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, have the process down to a science. While campaigning at middleweight (160 lb limit), Chavez would usually tip the scales at roughly 159 lbs at the weigh-in only to enter the ring the next day at a blistering 181 lbs. Most of his opponents hovered around 164-167 lbs.

Point: Obviously, size factors into the competitiveness of a bout. Size and strength do matter. Gamache was being hit by a naturally bigger, stronger man and that may have been the prime factor in causing this near-tragedy.

Counterpoint: Boxing is a brutal sport and serious injury is part of the game. Serious injury and, sadly, ring deaths, occur when fighters enter the ring within only a pound or several ounces apart from each other.

Moreover, some heavyweights, like Evander Holyfield, routinely gave up 30-40 lbs in the ring and suffered no apparent, serious ill-effects. As a matter of fact, Holyfield was often very successful against much larger opponents. (Are the circumstances different when a 205 lb fighter faces a 240 lb opponent?)
    ------

Solution 1: Weigh-ins should take place the morning of the bout, thereby greatly limiting a fighter's ability to rehydrate. (Keep in mind, some would argue this would be even more dangerous because a fighter may enter the ring already dehydrated from having to cut weight for the weigh-in)

Solution 2: Perhaps there should be a rehydration limit? For example, a middleweight (160 lb limit) shouldn't be allowed to rehydrate more than 10 pounds (170 lbs).

Solution 3: This is much ado about nothing. Keep things as they are.

Solution 4: Share your thoughts.

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=&quot]- See more at: [url=http://www.fightsaga.com/tidbits/item/3566-Arturo-Gatti-nearly-killed-Joey-Gamache-in-the-ring-Should-weigh-ins-happen-on-fight-day-(Video)#sthash.laVcPkpY.dpuf]Arturo Gatti nearly killed Joey Gamache in the ring: Should weigh-ins happen on fight day? (Vid

Last edited by Master; 03-23-2017 at 05:03 AM.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Solution 2 is the most sensible but Jacobs avoided that to relinquish the IBF title which was premeditated and bordering on cheating.

GGG camp should never agree to that in the future including against Canelo.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MR140 where are you from? just wondering

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    He is from 135 but just rehydrated back up to Jr Welter since he last posted
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Solution 2 is the most sensible but Jacobs avoided that to relinquish the IBF title which was premeditated and bordering on cheating.

GGG camp should never agree to that in the future including against Canelo.
    The only thing that you should be required to make is the weight cut which is what all the other belts wanted but IBF. If people are gaining to much weight make it same day it really does not need more regulation on it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    He is from 135 but just rehydrated back up to Jr Welter since he last posted
    That is pretty funny but on real note i would die if i ever tried to make 135 that is 45 pounds and do not have fat to lose lol. As for were i am from is Oceanside California take it most of people here are from the UK.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I totally agree with your position on this. Weight divisions exist basically to ensure that fighters of the same size and weight fight. But we all know that rules are meant to be, if not broken, at least bent a little. Why are there so many weight divisions nowadays? The difference between divisions is anywhere from 5 to 8 pounds. The system isn't meant so that So-and-So can re-hydrate by 25 pounds so he totally outweighs his opponent at fight night. The intent was to have guys fight at the same weight. Some of these re-hydrating experts, who rely on this process to win their fights, look visibly bigger than their opponent in the ring. This basically unfair and IMO takes away from the match. I see no good reason why boxing can't implement re-hydrating clauses, other than it would hurt one or two fighters who happen to be big draws at the moment. It illustrates how in boxing, money trumps safety and common sense.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    All that matters is that both fighters are on board so it's a level playing field. You can't have one guy making sure he doesn't blow up too much and the other saying fuck it I won't bother. There's a lot to like about Jacobs but what he did was dirty, there's no two ways about it as far as I'm concerned. Still staggers me that given all we know, people will still try and cripple their opponent on the scales and the endorsement that practice receives from the boxing fraternity at large.
    The weigh in was stupidly early and Jacobs made the weight. There was no reason to have the weigh in as early as they did.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't really think this is as big a deal as people make out. Both fighters weigh in at the same time, and have exactly the same amount of time to re hydrate. Some guys can shift weight more easily than others, I just see that as one of many possible genetic advantages that come into play. It's like saying it's unfair some guys recover from hard training faster than others. Pretty well everything about boxing as a whole is extremely bad for you, if your main concern is the health of the fighters, the only reasonable solution would be to ban the sport entirely.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

I totally agree with your position on this. Weight divisions exist basically to ensure that fighters of the same size and weight fight. But we all know that rules are meant to be, if not broken, at least bent a little. Why are there so many weight divisions nowadays? The difference between divisions is anywhere from 5 to 8 pounds. The system isn't meant so that So-and-So can re-hydrate by 25 pounds so he totally outweighs his opponent at fight night. The intent was to have guys fight at the same weight. Some of these re-hydrating experts, who rely on this process to win their fights, look visibly bigger than their opponent in the ring. This basically unfair and IMO takes away from the match. I see no good reason why boxing can't implement re-hydrating clauses, other than it would hurt one or two fighters who happen to be big draws at the moment. It illustrates how in boxing, money trumps safety and common sense.
    I would rather they do same day weigh ins if it is huge problem. All fighters have the same days to re hydrate and cut down on the weight. If they feel that it is giving others to much advantage would rather go back to old days.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the end what are we looking for? Even matchups. I have no desire to watch a fighter outweigh the other one by 25 pounds on fight night just because he's better at re-hydrating. They've both trained long and hard, and no one should be punished because of genetics. I've seen too many fights where difference in abilities is canceled by ridiculous size differences. If I want to see that, I'll switch to WWF or just watch heavyweight fights, where it's open-ended. A guy should win because the other guy can't hurt him because he's just too small? Ridiculous. Give me two evenly sized fighters any day.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I don't really think this is as big a deal as people make out. Both fighters weigh in at the same time, and have exactly the same amount of time to re hydrate. Some guys can shift weight more easily than others, I just see that as one of many possible genetic advantages that come into play. It's like saying it's unfair some guys recover from hard training faster than others. Pretty well everything about boxing as a whole is extremely bad for you, if your main concern is the health of the fighters, the only reasonable solution would be to ban the sport entirely.
    Pretty much this i think it is nuts that they are putting a limit to how much you can re hydrate to when you made the cut for the weight. If people do not like the weight gain they do now should go back to the same day weigh ins.

Thread Information