Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's all about the L-word (legacy)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default It's all about the L-word (legacy)

A future HOF welterweight openly avoids fighting other top welterweights for fear of getting hurt, and actively seeks out smaller opponents, with p4p titles, all in the name of "legacy". Then he proceeds to get his *ss kicked and quits on his stool. How's THAT for legacy?

Listen, if I have to go out, I prefer getting getting my *ss kicked by someone BIGGER than me (like a Roy Jones, for instance?). At least I go out like a man.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: It's all about the L-word (legacy)

I had to pull this thread back up. I heard so much crap about how Cotto supposedly quit against Margarito (well, only from a couple of ignoramuses)... well how about DLH's showing vs Pac?

Following are some tidbits from an article by Tim Dahlberg from the Associated Press:

"One fighter is on the verge of becoming boxing's next superstar. The other will have to be content with the fact that his bank account is fat even if his reputation is permanently soiled."

Ouch! Sorry, can't help gloating a little bit. At least Tito got his butt kicked by Jones Jr. at 170. Jones was the bigger man. And Tito finished the fight on his feet. DLH got his *ss kicked by a comparitive midget and was made to quit on his stool. More from Dahlberg:

"Those plans (De La Hoya's) should include helping run his thriving promotion company and various businesses and stop trying to con people that he is anywhere near the fighter he once was."

"Con artist"...... good one.

"But his toughest act should he continue to fight would be selling himself again after being thoroughly dominated by a smaller fighter who was fighting at 129 pounds just nine months ago."

Why that bully Pacquaio.....

Anyway, there's more but why beat a dead horse (excuse the pun).

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh, I forgot one Dahlberg zinger:

"That worked for years (the con), but the real truth is that De La Hoya hasn't been that fighter for years, as evidenced by the fact that he has won only three of his last seven fights and was stopped in two of them."

He forgot to mention the gift he got against Felix Sturm during his ridiculous try at 160.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im sick of all this Oscar was the bigger man bullsh@t. He was not the bigger man and to his credit he made sure his weight was down. He was LIGHTER and WEAKER than Manny. He could have trained/eaten like he did for for the Mayweather fight and cut weight for the weigh in, then refueled to 160 on fight night, but he didnt. He would have probably done slightly better but he made the fight an even one on the weight issue. He was light throughout training camp. Oscar has a GREAT legacy.
    Only Forum Amature With Well Over 2000 Posts!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Im sick of all this Oscar was the bigger man bullsh@t. He was not the bigger man and to his credit he made sure his weight was down. He was LIGHTER and WEAKER than Manny. He could have trained/eaten like he did for for the Mayweather fight and cut weight for the weigh in, then refueled to 160 on fight night, but he didnt. He would have probably done slightly better but he made the fight an even one on the weight issue. He was light throughout training camp. Oscar has a GREAT legacy.
    Oh yeah... he purposely went into the ring lighter than Manny to make it a more even fight.

He miscalculated, plain and simple. He thought he could add Manny's scalp to his (cough) legacy, with Manny being the smaller man and all. But he miscalculated. He WAS weaker when he entered the ring. But not by design. Bottom line: He ran from the big boys at welter, only to get his *ss handed to him by the tiny Pacquiao. Life is good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Oh yeah... he purposely went into the ring lighter than Manny to make it a more even fight.

He miscalculated, plain and simple. He thought he could add Manny's scalp to his (cough) legacy, with Manny being the smaller man and all. But he miscalculated. He WAS weaker when he entered the ring. But not by design. Bottom line: He ran from the big boys at welter, only to get his *ss handed to him by the tiny Pacquiao. Life is good.

Him coming in the weight he did tells me that he respects Mannys speed and saw it as a possible threat. Yes he thought he would win but every fighter should going into a fight. But he didnt see it as an easy win. He wasnt weaker by design but he knew the risks of being weight drained and took a chance. He knew Manny weighed 147 in the ring in his last fight. Oscar has proven that he is not afraid of a chellenge. I thought this fight was a mismatch too in favor of Oscar, but he could have fought anyone and got criticism.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Him coming in the weight he did tells me that he respects Mannys speed and saw it as a possible threat. Yes he thought he would win but every fighter should going into a fight. But he didnt see it as an easy win. He wasnt weaker by design but he knew the risks of being weight drained and took a chance. He knew Manny weighed 147 in the ring in his last fight. Oscar has proven that he is not afraid of a chellenge. I thought this fight was a mismatch too in favor of Oscar, but he could have fought anyone and got criticism.
    You manage to be wrong three times in one sentence. "Oscar's not afraid of a challenge?" If that were the case, he would have gone after Margarito, or another real welterweight, instead of thinking he had an easy payday against the much smaller Pacquiao. Oh... so you thought the fight was a mismatch in Oscar's favor, but Oscar himself saw it as a dangerous challenge. Don't buy it. Finally, he could have fought anybody and gotten criticism? Negative. Believe me when I tell you... and I'm as anti-Oscar as they come... I would've respected Oscar a lot more had he taken the fight that everyone in boxing wanted to see. Him against Margarito.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You manage to be wrong three times in one sentence. "Oscar's not afraid of a challenge?" If that were the case, he would have gone after Margarito, or another real welterweight, instead of thinking he had an easy payday against the much smaller Pacquiao. Oh... so you thought the fight was a mismatch in Oscar's favor, but Oscar himself saw it as a dangerous challenge. Don't buy it. Finally, he could have fought anybody and gotten criticism? Negative. Believe me when I tell you... and I'm as anti-Oscar as they come... I would've respected Oscar a lot more had he taken the fight that everyone in boxing wanted to see. Him against Margarito.
    I would never have known..He fought the Bigger Hopkins, P4P King Floyd, Underfeated Tito, Shane, the list goes on, the man is not afraid of a challenge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would never have known..He fought the Bigger Hopkins, P4P King Floyd, Underfeated Tito, Shane, the list goes on, the man is not afraid of a challenge.
    So true, Boom Boom. reps.

p.s. Dahlberg is a smart ass, always has been. He probably sits back and reads his own articles over and over and says to himself, "boy am I clever!".
    Last edited by CGM; 12-09-2008 at 01:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post

So true, Boom Boom. reps.

p.s. Dahlberg is a smart ass, always has been. He probably sits back and reads his own articles over and over and says to himself, "boy am I clever!".

can i add something... lots of money is involve and he is happy to take all that comes along his way...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember Oscar making the feared Trinidad look like a fucking retard in the ring, at least he knows how to box properly... unlike Felix.

He's already taken on in his career Whitaker, JCC, Mosley, Camacho, Hopkins, MAyweather, Quartey, Vargas, Mayorga, Sturm, Gatti, Carr, Hernandez, Leija.

Who has a better resume against a higher quality of opposition, then you discredit him for not fighting Margarito because he is fighting Pacquiao in a no win situation? Do you know how many of these guys would beat Margarito?
    Last edited by Taeth; 12-09-2008 at 04:08 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tito just a hater on Oscar say what you want but Oscar has a great resume and lest no forget he did start 130 and went over to 160 and you talk about strum and gift decsion but Tito got a lesson by Oscar and he got a gift also so what comes around goes around he may of lost to Jones but lest not forget Jones was shot to bits anyhow so not that great lol.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I think it's really more to do with money, but probably Oscar was concerned about going in against a number of Welterweights sure. Does that really make him worthy of your criticism though for christs sake? As Taeth said the guy has already fought a plethora of ridiculously talented fighters in his prime... Now that he is older the fact that he may have had a realistic Idea of what he can or can't do is supposed to make him a pussy or something? Why the hell would he bother to fight Margarito if he wasn't sure he'd win(which he most probably was positive he wouldn't)? Margarito isn't going to make him all that much money in future matchups the guy probably doesn't have long the way he fightts anyways. I mean just really try and think about what it might be like to be worth half a billion dollars from punching people in the face, basically. Why the hell would you want to fight anyone who could seriously hurt you much less in order to prove anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its been brought up before,but why would Oscar fight Margarito with allmost negative PPV sales,when he could be the promoter against Pac,who is way more well known,and brings his own fan base?
    He probably loses money on a Margarito PPV,if you didnt buy the PPV vs Pac,you streamed it on the web

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    I remember Oscar making the feared Trinidad look like a fucking retard in the ring, (and yet he gets the decision in Oscar's backyard, Las Vegas, from 3 U.S. judges.... hmm... they must have seen something you didn't) at least he knows how to box properly... unlike Felix.

He's already taken on in his career Whitaker, JCC, Mosley, Camacho, Hopkins, MAyweather, Quartey, Vargas, Mayorga, Sturm, Gatti, Carr, Hernandez, Leija. (yes, and a lot them were either over-the-hill... ie: JCC... undersized... ie: Gatti... or damaged by Tito... ie: Vargas, Carr, Mayorga)

Who has a better resume against a higher quality of opposition, then you discredit him for not fighting Margarito because he is fighting Pacquiao in a no win situation? Do you know how many of these guys would beat Margarito?

You know, this could be a 100-year argument. But thankfully, neither you or I will last that long. You'll never convince me, and I'll never convince you.

Thread Information