Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mikey Garcia plans to vacate WBC lightweight belt

Luke Campbell reportedly set for world title fight as Mikey Garcia plans to vacate WBC lightweight belt
    The Hull man is mandatory for a shot at world honours

Following the bout, there has been much speculation regarding whether the four-weight world champion would return back to his old weight class and defend his crown, and ESPNmx claim he’s now made his decision.

It’s reported that Garcia will become ‘emeritus’ champion, which entitles him to return to lightweight at any point and instantly fight to regain his old belt if he so chooses.

In the meantime, the world title will be vacated and freed up so that British mandatory challenger Luke Campbell can contest for it.

The London 2012 Olympic gold medallist beat Yvan Mendy in a final eliminator rematch last September to earn his opportunity.

It is currently unclear who he will be ordered to face for the belt, with Russia’s Zaur Abdullaev (11-0, 25 years old) ranked in the number two spot.

Behind him sit two of the hottest prospects in world boxing as Americans Devin Haney (21-0, 20 years old) and Teofimo Lopez (13-0, 21 years old) are ranked third and fourth respectively.

Another option could see Campbell sanctioned to face unified WBA and WBO champion Vasyl Lomachenko in a three-belt unification.

This would be a rare move from the WBC, but has been suggested by Lomachenko’s promoter Bob Arum, who claims he’ll attempt to make a deal with Campbell to stage that bout in the UK.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/5...htweight-belt/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mikey Garcia plans to vacate WBC lightweight belt

I’m not surprised. I doubt he can get back down to lightweight comfortably. He has tons of options at 140. He can eventually fight the winner of the tournament

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good spot for Campbell. Keeping an 'out' open..once again..for Mikey to return to lightweight for the wbc is a farce. Shame it looks like Loma v Mikey is not on his mind and if he goes 147 again I can't see him doing much there and this all sounds very familiar.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate all these belt (cough) "categories". Emeritus, super, regular, interim, silver, gold, platinum, blah blah blah. The WBC is the king of the worthless belts and titles. It's a shame, because it lessens the importance of the actual, well-earned belts.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Weak move by Mikey and really screws Loma. Loma will be forced to retire without ever fighting an elite fighter it seems. Tragic

At least for Loma’s sake he greats credit as if he had beaten a truly elite fighter.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The real silver lining is that he can retire without having read your posts, that bolsters anyones legacy.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    The real silver lining is that he can retire without having read your posts, that bolsters anyones legacy.
    So you disagree? No, I expect you know what I said is true so you do the personal attack. Common, disappointing, but common.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    So you disagree? No, I expect you know what I said is true so you do the personal attack. Common, disappointing, but common.
    Its just banter, though you do take things a bit too seriously for my liking. I think i remember you didnt discredit Rigos chances before he fought Loma, despite the size difference. If Garcia were to come back down and make the fight right away there could be the same excuse, right? Not to mention Loma is still young enough, and Davis or Lopez could prove worthy opponents.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Its just banter, though you do take things a bit too seriously for my liking. I think i remember you didnt discredit Rigos chances before he fought Loma, despite the size difference. If Garcia were to come back down and make the fight right away there could be the same excuse, right? Not to mention Loma is still young enough, and Davis or Lopez could prove worthy opponents.
    A few things about your lack of memory

1)I clearly picked Loma, if you think you can find me saying anything otherwise try to look it up. It will be a waste of your time though.

2)I’ve never made excuses about outcomes except disagreeing with outcome. If you care to look feel free but it will be a waste of your time. But, Mikey coming down would have nothing to do with different sizes, they both started at the same weight, they are the same age. Mikey should make the fight, he owes the fans that made him wealthy and he owes Loma because Loma deserves that opportunity.

As far as Lopez or Tank, neither is ready. Lopez will outgrow the division before he is ready. Let me put it differently.....Mikey should be the one to give Loma his shot at greatness because Mikey is the only one ready right now to give him that shot. Loma can fight 1000 Pedraza’s, it doesn’t mean anything to his potential level. And this isn’t GGG choosing not to chase greatness, this is a fighter being robbed of his opportunity to chase greatness.

Thread Information