Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malignaggi wins WBA Welterweight crown...via knockout..

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Malignaggi wins WBA Welterweight crown...via knockout..

So...after working with Freddie Roach..at welterweight..he wins the Welterweight crown..by knock out...

Paul Malignaggi takes WBA belt from Vyacheslav Senchenko in 9th round - ESPN

Congrats to Paulie for becoming a champion again at the higher weight class. Senchenko drops to 32-1.
    Last edited by Majesty; 05-07-2012 at 04:38 AM.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Malignaggi wins WBA Welterweight crown...via knockout..

It wasn't really a knock out was it now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
    it wasn't really a knock out was it now.
    tko via stoppage. Either way he damaged him to the point the ref saved him from further punishment. Regardless they are not the results I expect in a Malignaggi fight. He's actually 4-0 with 2 stoppages since becoming a Welterweight. So its either his speed is a factor in him landing punches his opponents don't see so he can overwhelm them, or he has power at welterweight he didn't have at 140 and 135 because it sapped his energy. Whichever way he has shown more power at welterweight so good for him
    Last edited by Majesty; 05-07-2012 at 05:21 AM.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree, I like Malignaggi. It is good to see him string together a few results again.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can't say he "has power"; he definitely is turning his shots over a little more and appears to be stronger in general at welter though I agree. Makes sense as he's still young and never had terrible form, the trouble is competition at welter should still be to much for him. Does anyone think he'd have a shot against even Berto or Ortiz?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's a real nice guy, so I'm pleased for him.

It always amazes me with guys like Paulie, power is created by speed and he has it in abundance. So I dont understand why he is not killing guys in the ring.

But it did make me laugh when I saw the headline in the news of Paulie winning by KO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    You can't say he "has power"; he definitely is turning his shots over a little more and appears to be stronger in general at welter though I agree. Makes sense as he's still young and never had terrible form, the trouble is competition at welter should still be to much for him. Does anyone think he'd have a shot against even Berto or Ortiz?
    Honestly considering how weak Ortiz is mentally, I could see him outboxing and frustrating Ortiz.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watched this fight last weekend and Malignaggi looked good, fought really good fight.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've always loved Paulie. He's a damn good fighter, and the one thing that was holding him back was that he had terribly brittle hands.

I think he makes Berto and Ortiz both look foolish.

I hate Alexander with a passion. Hopefully the fight doesn't pull through. I gag at the thought of seeing Alexander fight anybody after the way he fought Maidana.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

More fuel for Floyd to claim that steroids may be circulating in the Wildcard gym

Mallignagi KO'ing people? What next??

Seriously though, I've always liked Malignagi and the way he carries himself..good boxer too who was just lacking unforgivable power.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim the BoxingManiac View Post
    I've always loved Paulie. He's a damn good fighter, and the one thing that was holding him back was that he had terribly brittle hands.

I think he makes Berto and Ortiz both look foolish.

I hate Alexander with a passion. Hopefully the fight doesn't pull through. I gag at the thought of seeing Alexander fight anybody after the way he fought Maidana.
    I read this post and my first thought impossible, unless he's found xylophone or had something done to his hands.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz View Post
    More fuel for Floyd to claim that steroids may be circulating in the Wildcard gym

Mallignagi KO'ing people? What next??

Seriously though, I've always liked Malignagi and the way he carries himself..good boxer too who was just lacking unforgivable power.
    Yeah most fighters seem to have that one blaring kind of weakness. Malignaggi has speed, reflexes, defense, footwork and a great jab. Just doesn't have power. If he had power it's a wonder to think how much farther he'd have gone. The fact he's a 2 time world champion in 2 weight classes with only 7 knockouts in his career(3 were his first 3 fights) is a testament to his class only the very best have beaten him.
    Last edited by Majesty; 05-08-2012 at 02:45 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Steve Smoger on Paulie....

BOXINGTALK : SMOGER ON MALIGNAGGI: "HE GOT LEFT OUT OF THE POWER LINE!"

The first time I worked a Paulie Malignaggi fight, it was a four-rounder. He was just starting out as a pro. He was this hotshot kid out of Brooklyn. He had a lot of flash, a lot of pizzazz… He was very loud and outspoken, but not to the point where he was obnoxious. I always felt that he kept things within the boundaries of good taste. He was also very intelligent, in and out of the ring. He’s a student of the game and when I would speak with him in passing, I could tell that he did his homework. Being that Paulie and I are both from the east coast, I was very familiar with him throughout his career and I always thought very highly of him.

In 2006, at Foxwoods Resort, I worked Paulie’s fight with Donald Camarena and I have a poster from that fight on my wall. That fight was right before his fight with Miguel Cotto, which I worked as well. To be quite frank, Paulie took a beating against Cotto. He had a fractured orbital bone and various facial injuries, but he convinced me and the doctor to let him continue. Lesser men would have folded in this scenario, but Paulie displayed tremendous heart and determination. Not only did he finish the fight, he won [some of] the later rounds! If I recall, it was an 8-4 fight[theofficial cards were 115-112 and 116-111 (twice) for Cotto].

Let’s move on to his fight with Amir Khan… I worked that fight and it was Amir’s night. No question. When I look back at that fight, what I find to be mind-boggling is that it lasted beyond the sixth round. At that point, Paulie was done and he no longer had a realistic opportunity to win. But he BS’d me! He convinced me to let him come out for seven, eight, nine, ten, and eleven. The doctor and I were checking in on him after every round from the sixth round on, but Paulie hung in there and created the illusion that he was in the fight. I finally stopped it in the eleventh. Just like with the Cotto fight, he showed a lot of grit and toughness.

Every time I run into Paulie, whether it’s at a social event or a convention, I always tell him that when he was in heaven ready to be born, he was in the front of the “Heart Line”, he was in front of the “Guts Line”, he was in front of the “Toughness Line”, but he missed the “Power Line.” In over thirty bouts, he just has a small handful of knockouts [31-4 with 7 KOs]. He has all of that fight and willingness inside of him, but no real power to speak of. I like to kid him about that and we have a good laugh.

Most recently, I worked Paulie’s fight against Vyacheslav Senchenko, which took place in the Ukraine. It was his first major fight out of the United States. Being that he was on foreign soil, I think he was somewhat relieved that I was going to be the third man in the ring. In fact, he confided in me before the fight and expressed concerns about the judges. He even went on to Boxrec and researched the officials who were working this event. That’s the kind of kid Paulie is. He’s very thorough, and he cares about his career so much that he will go to these great lengths to make sure he’s playing on an even field.

I tried to put his mind at ease. I said, “Have I ever taken a point away from you? Have I ever given you a hard time? You’re going to be fine in there!” He looked at me and he appeared more focused than I’ve ever seen him before. He said, “this fight means everything to me, Steve. The networks don’t want me. That’s why I’m fighting out of the United States. But if I pick up a major belt, I’ll be a player.” At the press conference before the fight, he said that there was nothing he would rather do than to bring the belt back to the United States of America and make his first defense in Brooklyn. He declared that he would win the fight, and as he put it, he would work his “magic”.

I attended a media workout and watched the fighters put on a show. I had a very pleasant conversation with Eric Brown, who now trains Paulie. Brown is a trainer at Freddie Roach’s Wild Card Gym and he also works with Peter Quillin, “Kid Chocolate.” He told me that when Paulie approached him about training him, he told him that at this stage of his career, he couldn’t teach him anything new. But what he could do is help him refine what he already does. From what I’ve seen, I’m very impressed with the work he’s done with Paulie and how he conducts himself. I also spoke with Roberto Diaz, who is a representative from Golden Boy. He’s a great guy and an excellent fight person. Also present was Paulie’s lawyer, Steve Bash, who is a well known attorney in the boxing world. It was a pleasure to see Paulie with Golden Boy and surrounded by such an intelligent crew.

Having observed Paulie for the past ten or eleven years, recently, I’ve noticed there’s something about his mannerisms and his overall demeanor that’s changed. He used to have kind of a wild hairdo. In fact, there was one fight where he had these hair extensions that started falling out all over the ring. Do you remember that? It was his rematch with Lovemore N’Dou. But now, he has a short haircut. It’s the perfect haircut for a fighter. The outfits he wears aren’t wild and flamboyant like they used to be. It’s as if he’s grown up in every way. He’s very grounded and I’ve seen a tremendous amount of maturity.

From my view, Paulie talked the talk at the press conference and the weigh-in and he walked the walk in the ring. He completely dominated a champion, who I have had the pleasure of working with on two previous occasions. Senchenko is a gentleman of the highest order and he’s a damn good fighter, but Paulie had his number. It was a beautiful display of boxing. In the second round, I saw the swelling begin on Senchenko’s left eye and I thought it could be an impending problem later in the fight, which it was. By the seventh round, it was almost closed. His corner asked me for one more round and I gave it to them, but I was watching closely. In the ninth round, Senchenko was hit flush with a right hand that he didn’t see and that was it. Paulie won by TKO!

There was a crowd of about 10,000, but when the stoppage came, you could hear a pin drop. Nobody complained. Everyone was very respectful. Senchenko came up to me afterward and thanked me for giving him the extra round. I said, “You earned it, champ.” This was Paulie’s second stoppage victory at welterweight and I wondered if this new division has given him more power. Paulie missed the “Power Line” in heaven, but does the extra seven pounds make up for that? As a referee, my train of thought is neutral during the fight, but once I step out of the ring, I immediately become a fan. I was really impressed with what I saw and I can’t overemphasize the dramatic difference in the Paulie who I knew as a kid fighting in four-rounders, to the Paulie who is now the WBA welterweight champion. As a member of the fight community, I’m very proud of him.

Thread Information