Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  110
Dislikes Dislikes:  13

Poll: Some Cultures are better than others

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Some cultures are better than others ? True, False, Impossible to answer conclusively

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Some cultures are better than others ? True, False, Impossible to answer conclusi

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

Soooo does I win dis debate then?
    My bad for not getting get back to you at your convenience bud but the day belongs to a jobby job and I was elbow deep in parvo pups and other 'stuff' we wont get into. Pass the bleach. Nah man it's actually all good and I don't see so much a debate as simply hashing out opinion on the peripherals. No one is saying that it doesn't happen and that it's not entirely wrong. Honor killings are a travesty and in the news up North. I just can't say as an individual, for me, that I'm better over an entire culture, any culture, religion as I don't believe their most vile actions or vile 'people' speak to them as a whole. Alright I need a drink
    Last edited by Spicoli; 04-01-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Some cultures are better than others ? True, False, Impossible to answer conclusi

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Soooo does I win dis debate then?
    My bad for not getting get back to you at your convenience bud but the day belongs to a jobby job and I was elbow deep in parvo pups and other 'stuff' we wont get into. Pass the bleach. Nah man it's actually all good and I don't see so much a debate as simply hashing out opinion on the peripherals. No one is saying that it doesn't happen and that it's not entirely wrong. Honor killings are a travesty and in the news up North. I just can't say as an individual, for me, that I'm better over an entire culture, any culture, religion as I don't believe their most vile actions or vile 'people' speak to them as a whole. Alright I need a drink
    would that be the ripple like Fred and Grady?

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    it seems the Quran allows and even encourages wife beating in its passages. I don't feel high and mighty enough to claim culture superiority over any other cultures... but this is a definite no-no... at least in our eyes. It's eye-opening to see, however, that a majority of Islamic women agree with wife beating if she's caught cheating. It's ok for them, even if it's not ok for us.

Tito, The Koran may well say that, but don't forget the stuff that the Christian Bible says too:

- explicit support for slavery, plus rules saying it's OK to beat them hard enough they are incapacitated for two days.

- blatant sexism. Saying men own women, they should all be virgins until they marry (but men don't). They should be put to death for adultery and premarital sex. If a woman makes a noise while being rated, it proves she agreed to it and should be put to death.

- demanding murder. There are whole lists of people who it is OK to kill. Indeed Christians are told who they should murder.

- saying that handicapped people should be killed early on. If you find an older one, it's a good thing to kill them straight away.

- ethnic cleansing is a good thing because if you murder a whole tribe or race, you can have their land and God will be pleased.

- that animal sacrifice is pleasing to God. That animals have no rights and Man is put on earth to command them all.

- killing and torture of all non-believers is an explicit command from God.

All those things are in the Bible, in great detail. Just like the Koran, the Bible is a book of its time. Christians surely can't ridicule the Koran having things in it that we find outrageous.

The problem is the people who do take these books literally - and let's not forget that there are many Christians who do this as well. Granted, they didn't seem to be blowing people up and beheading them ..... but they certainly did worse in the past.

Also, the majority of Muslim women I know most certainly don't agree with wife beating. They are not crazy! Where do you get the data that says the majority of them agree with it?

If I was. Mod on this site, I too would demand human and animal sacrifices, as I would find them pleasing to me.

Easy to answer and with one word for Islam and Christianity

ABROGATION

The Quran like the Bible has 2 halves. In the Bible we go from the very strict and judgmental God to the peace, grace, and sacrifice of Jesus. In the Quran on the other hand we go from Muhammad imploring people to submit to Islam (the Mecca sura) to threatening people to submit to Islam by the sword (the Medina sura) and due to the belief of Abrogation the Medina sura is considered more powerful/meaningful since it came later.

But hey, what can ya do?

What you could do is start by using your own standards to examine your own culture. You are correct in pointing out the ridiculousness of abrogation but this is the fatal flaw with most religions. Even your own reading of the Bible shows how deeply ingrained it is in your culture. So for you the Old Testament is that of an strict and Judgmental God and the New Testament is one of peace and grace. This is largely because most Christians have no idea of what they call the Old Testament even means, and the translations they are reading are incredibly inaccurate and clumsy works by people with a vested interest in obscuring the truth. You don't get much more Judgemental than Paul and the Pauline version of Christianity either, so the 'New' Testament itself is not so forgiving as you would have us believe. In fact the flawed, arrogant and incredibly patronising Christian idea of Jesus coming to fulfill the commandments of Gd perfectly and therefore negate the Old Testament, the need for sacrifice, the covenant between Gd and the Jews etc is a classic example of abrogation not being merely and Islamic Idea.

Even on a micro level the ordination of women, the acceptance of Homosexuality, etc shows how Christians are constantly picking and choosing what to update with their faith. This is the fatal flaw. How can a perfect omnipotent Gd gets things wrong? why do humans need to constantly revise what is relevant and not among words supposedly directly coming from him? This to me seems to be incredibly convenient for humans in power to use as a way of controlling other people.

So if like you we are going to judge a culture based upon extremists or people inflicting extreme behavior on to others and using that culture as an excuse we should look at Christianity in the same way as you are looking at Islam ?

400 years of Trans Atlantic Slave Trade that maimed, raped, killed, kidnapped, and enslaved 20 million Africans "heathens" to bring them to Christ
    —Genocide of Native Americans under the name of Christ as Manifest Destiny
    —Genocide of Australian Aborigines that killed 90% of their population in less than a century, again by Christian Europeans
    —Salem Witch Trials
    —Spanish Inquisition
    —Crusades

ooh no you say...those are in the past

—The Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda that has maimed, raped, & killed up to 100,000 people according to the UN, during the past 15 years, which is far more destructive than ISIS, and they've done so to establish Biblical Law as a self-described Christian organization
    —In Central Africa Republic Christian Militias have destroyed every single mosque and the UN reports that Muslims are facing ethnic cleansing, withreports that Christians are cannibalizing Muslims, literally
    —In America white supremacists who are self-described Christian are the single largest terror threat to American security, that's according to the FBI and 392 police agencies in a study published last year
    —George Bush, a devout Christian, said God told him to invade Iraq, where by some estimates 1 million civilians were killed due to this unjust war
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    What you could do is start by using your own standards to examine your own culture. You are correct in pointing out the ridiculousness of abrogation but this is the fatal flaw with most religions. Even your own reading of the Bible shows how deeply ingrained it is in your culture. So for you the Old Testament is that of an strict and Judgmental God and the New Testament is one of peace and grace. This is largely because most Christians have no idea of what they call the Old Testament even means, and the translations they are reading are incredibly inaccurate and clumsy works by people with a vested interest in obscuring the truth. You don't get much more Judgemental than Paul and the Pauline version of Christianity either, so the 'New' Testament itself is not so forgiving as you would have us believe. In fact the flawed, arrogant and incredibly patronising Christian idea of Jesus coming to fulfill the commandments of Gd perfectly and therefore negate the Old Testament, the need for sacrifice, the covenant between Gd and the Jews etc is a classic example of abrogation not being merely and Islamic Idea.

Even on a micro level the ordination of women, the acceptance of Homosexuality, etc shows how Christians are constantly picking and choosing what to update with their faith. This is the fatal flaw. How can a perfect omnipotent Gd gets things wrong? why do humans need to constantly revise what is relevant and not among words supposedly directly coming from him? This to me seems to be incredibly convenient for humans in power to use as a way of controlling other people.

So if like you we are going to judge a culture based upon extremists or people inflicting extreme behavior on to others and using that culture as an excuse we should look at Christianity in the same way as you are looking at Islam ?

400 years of Trans Atlantic Slave Trade that maimed, raped, killed, kidnapped, and enslaved 20 million Africans "heathens" to bring them to Christ
    —Genocide of Australian Aborigines that killed 90% of their population in less than a century, again by Christian Europeans
    —Salem Witch Trials
    —Spanish Inquisition
    —Crusades

ooh no you say...those are in the past

—The Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda that has maimed, raped, & killed up to 100,000 people according to the UN, during the past 15 years, which is far more destructive than ISIS, and they've done so to establish Biblical Law as a self-described Christian organization
    —In Central Africa Republic Christian Militias have destroyed every single mosque and the UN reports that Muslims are facing ethnic cleansing, withreports that Christians are cannibalizing Muslims, literally
    —In America white supremacists who are self-described Christian are the single largest terror threat to American security, that's according to the FBI and 392 police agencies in a study published last year
    —George Bush, a devout Christian, said God told him to invade Iraq, where by some estimates 1 million civilians were killed due to this unjust war
    Did I say or even imply that my culture was perfect? No of course not, but the Last puritan of Plymouth is frothing at the mouth to attack my supposed protecting of my culture...being careful to not take a stance here or there, but just take himself out of the situation altogether and play referee.

"In fact the flawed, arrogant and incredibly patronising Christian idea of Jesus coming to fulfill the commandments of Gd perfectly and therefore negate the Old Testament, the need for sacrifice, the covenant between Gd and the Jews etc is a classic example of abrogation not being merely and Islamic Idea."

......Beanz, again the point is Islam gets MORE violent as you read it, The Bible gets LESS violent....Jesus isn't out raping pillaging and murdering the way Muhammad is. I'm sorry that you apparently do not fucking understand or comprehend that or the fucking relevance of that but it's #1 The truth and #2 Very troublesome when it comes to people practicing Islamic Fundamentalism vs Christian Fundamentalism.

Oh no the Trans Atlantic Slave trade!!!!! 400 years....OH NOES.

Arab Slave trade from 7th Century to ......oh it hasn't seemed to end just yet, well it doesn't seem fair to compare and contrast that

The rest of the drivel you peddle out here and attempt to morally grandstand with is fucking pathetic.

"—Genocide of Native Americans under the name of Christ as Manifest Destiny
    —Salem Witch Trials
    —Spanish Inquisition
    —Crusades
    "

Those events happened in the PAST

radical Militant Islam is an issue NOW

Beanz the Salem Witch Trials took 20 lives....20......and you're listing that alongside what you deem as genocide.

Also Beanz would you be so kind as to tell me what cultures NEVER had slavery of any form and NEVER held combat in order to expand their borders....would ya do me a kindness and list those cultures please? It is more than a little humorous that the very Natives you whinge about did THE EXACT FUCKING THING you wish to give all the blame to MY culture for and I'm wondering Beanz how you reconcile that? How does that fit in your noggin? That sit well with you? You feel all nice and smug about that do you? And again, MY culture had fuck all to do with the Aborigines....that's another group from England altogether, criminals placed on an island away from her Majesty's sight.

And again....just because in the past my culture has not been perfect...it doesn't make the Radical Militant Islam culture look any better.....yeah Christianity had a reformation and yeah it was ugly at times, BUT everybody dug deep, they got through it and boom here we are in a better day and age for Christians (so long as you're not near any majority Muslim areas).

Here's a neato factoid you may not have thought about....you can build a Mosque in the United States........in Saudi Arabia and Iran, you CANNOT build a Synagogue, you CANNOT build a Church......yes, I stand by my statement, SOME CULTURES ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS....not just in theory, but in fucking practice.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The key words you used were "self-described". White supremacists can call themselves whatever the hell they want. They do not represent the values or principles of real Christians. This should be a totally obvious fact, but for some reason I had to say it anyway. If George Bush really said that, then it just strengthens my opinion of him as a first-class moron. George Bush could barely speak intelligibly in public... and his assertion that God told him ANYTHING is about as reliable as "your check is in the mail."

It's ok to make an argument. But grasping at straws is often seen as evidence of a failing argument.

El Kabong Guest

@TitoFan, surely you don't believe that some cultures are better than others

I mean after all, aren't ALL cultures equal? Sure 12 years old is the age of consent in Mexico and SURE there's no minimum age at which young girls are lawfully married off in Saudi Arabia and in 2010, the Saudi Human Rights Commission, a government-affiliated group, hired a lawyer to help a 12-year old divorce her 80-year old husband.....BUT aren't all cultures the same at the end of the day?

I mean don't 80 year olds in America go around marrying up MULTIPLE women at the same time and also marrying some 12 year olds as well?

Was that wrong?

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The key words you used were "self-described". White supremacists can call themselves whatever the hell they want. They do not represent the values or principles of real Christians. This should be a totally obvious fact, but for some reason I had to say it anyway. If George Bush really said that, then it just strengthens my opinion of him as a first-class moron. George Bush could barely speak intelligibly in public... and his assertion that God told him ANYTHING is about as reliable as "your check is in the mail."

It's ok to make an argument. But grasping at straws is often seen as evidence of a failing argument.
    I agree that grasping at straws is evidence of a failing argument. The whole premise of Lyle's argument though is a classic straw man argument. It precedes on the notion that extreme proponents of violence in Islam are evidence of an entire culture being inferior to another. It matters not to him that nobody is arguing that these extremists do not exist, he just wants to infer that is what people are saying in order to shout louder which to him is the same as winning an argument. In fact in the terrorists thread he took me saying that the police could find no evidence to suggest the person involved had anything to do with Isis or Daesh as evidence of me making excuses for a terrorist. So go figure that one. Everything to him is about winning and yet he cannot construct an argument with any real skill or aptitude and that is why he has to repost other people's opinion for several years in a thread that nobody but himself is reading. (not this one).

So for Lyle it matters not that extremists hijack Christianity to do unspeakable deeds because he is not really interested in debating facts only espousing his own facts which are superior to everyone else's. Self -described is irrelevant, extremist Muslim preachers are self- described Muslims and also first class morons. The idea that Gd told anybody anything is about as reliable as "your cheque is in the mail" but that is the basis of most religions.

It is also quite noteworthy that despite not agreeing with Lyle's assertion that not only have you not voted but you would rather pick holes in my post. I understand that it is difficult to see from inside but Christianity has been used and continues too be used daily to justify acts of murderous barbarity.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bush did often call the war on Iraq a crusade.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

I agree that grasping at straws is evidence of a failing argument. The whole premise of Lyle's argument though is a classic straw man argument. It precedes on the notion that extreme proponents of violence in Islam are evidence of an entire culture being inferior to another. It matters not to him that nobody is arguing that these extremists do not exist, he just wants to infer that is what people are saying in order to shout louder which to him is the same as winning an argument. In fact in the terrorists thread he took me saying that the police could find no evidence to suggest the person involved had anything to do with Isis or Daesh as evidence of me making excuses for a terrorist. So go figure that one. Everything to him is about winning and yet he cannot construct an argument with any real skill or aptitude and that is why he has to repost other people's opinion for several years in a thread that nobody but himself is reading. (not this one).

So for Lyle it matters not that extremists hijack Christianity to do unspeakable deeds because he is not really interested in debating facts only espousing his own facts which are superior to everyone else's. Self -described is irrelevant, extremist Muslim preachers are self- described Muslims and also first class morons. The idea that Gd told anybody anything is about as reliable as "your cheque is in the mail" but that is the basis of most religions.

It is also quite noteworthy that despite not agreeing with Lyle's assertion that not only have you not voted but you would rather pick holes in my post. I understand that it is difficult to see from inside but Christianity has been used and continues too be used daily to justify acts of murderous barbarity.
    Extremists hijack Christianity to do unspeakable deeds eh......deeds you've listed? Like:
    —Salem Witch Trials
    —Spanish Inquisition
    —Crusades

...I do believe I countered your list with

-The Arab Slave trade and IF we're to say the Civil War was 100% about just slavery (that is not my personal belief but the popular one)THEN some 620,000 WHITE MEN died to free the slaves
    -Show me a civilization that hasn't done that
    -That's Australia and not america, I live in America I shan't answer for their shortcomings
    -20 whole people died, 20
    -SPANISH
    -The Crusades were a reaction to the expanse of the Umayyad Caliphate #themuzziesdidndunuthin

Beanz, you have brought NOTHING to the debate, absolutely nothing. You and your what aboutery is nothing, you bring up old bullshit, I'm bringing you what is happening in the present day in MY culture vs cultures outside of where I am which do things that I may or may not agree with.

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to a lot of cultures, there's something to dislike/not agree with in every culture....but when I find I dislike/disagree with a lot of what a culture is bringing about, then yeah I'm going to use the part of my culture (1st Amendment Free Speech) to call it out and say it's bullshit.....polygamy is bullshit, polygamy with MINORS is even worse, tossing gays off of rooftops is BULLSHIT, I guess you still need me to go on with this because you apparently ARE just that fucking dense, but hey I'll defend my stance all day long and twice on Sunday. ....oh part of the law (not the culture) where I'm from is that the liquor stores are closed on Sundays, I dislike that and don't agree with that....happy?

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Bush did often call the war on Iraq a crusade.

Which was and is a poor choice of words considering the enemy. And that has WHAT to do with my culture?

You don't see me getting all upset recounting the numerous centuries/millenea old horrible jihads waged against unbelievers whenever ANY Muslim calls for a jihad do you? Nooooooooooo but you say "Crusade" regarding a majority Muslim nation ruled by a complete cunt and it's like showing Dracula the sunlight.....fucking ridiculous.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, I have not voted and if I did, I'd probably go with option 3. Admittedly, it's difficult for me not to generalize on a certain culture when all you hear in the news are the terrorist acts almost on a daily basis. But I force myself to think that there have to be individuals in each and every culture who are decent human beings, who themselves may be horrified by what is carried out by their fellow countrymen or practitioners, whatever the correct term may apply here. Admittedly, it's not easy to avoid falling into that generalization trap. But I feel we have to rise above that.

Are there questionable practices backed by different religions? Sure. But they're questionable to US. Hardly the 3rd party, objective observer to judge on those things. Eating is probably not a good analogy here... but some cultures view eating cows as sacrilegious and barbaric. We think the same thing about eating dogs and cats. In some cultures women are still seen as having the obligation to obey the man. We think that's backward, but even the women in those cultures defend the beliefs.

It's a complex subject, but I'd rather err on the safe side. If option 3 were taken away and I was forced at gunpoint to answer the question... I'd say "yes", but with the caveat that my answer is not at all objective.

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LYLE

Did I say or even imply that my culture was perfect? No of course not, but the Last puritan of Plymouth is frothing at the mouth to attack my supposed protecting of my culture...being careful to not take a stance here or there, but just take himself out of the situation altogether and play referee.

Frothing at the mouth ? come on man if you are gong to bother even replying then you have to assume that I am not so angry all the time. I am not even remotely angry, why would I be?

I am anything but a puritan and of course in a thread in which I started to examine your assertion I am going to be careful not to show my hand or take a stance. Have you never played poker?

I am open to being persuaded but it looks like your argument is by far the weakest in the thread, and you just like me take a extraordinary long time to make a simple point.

Beanz, again the point is Islam gets MORE violent as you read it, The Bible gets LESS violent....Jesus isn't out raping pillaging and murdering the way Muhammad is. I'm sorry that you apparently do not fucking understand or comprehend that or the fucking relevance of that but it's #1 The truth and #2 Very troublesome when it comes to people practicing Islamic Fundamentalism vs Christian Fundamentalism.

So....are you saying that the Old Testament is not the word of God then? Or did he meet Oprah and have a makeover? Or are you dismissing the Old testament as stories and the accepting the new as fact? Or are you suggesting that I don't know anything about the Judaism, The Bible, Christians or Islam? Or are you just saying that any act of barbarity carried out by Christian fundamentalists is not the same as that carried out by Jewish or Muslim fundamentalists because Christianity despite being used for all kinds of horrendous things is fundamentally better than those others?

It is not surprising that you have once again resorted to misrepresentation in order to hide from ugly truths. This is how you operate. i am not angry about it and it is hardly surprising seeing as you have had this as your modus operandi from day one here.

so I post

and you conveniently dismiss it with

Oh no the Trans Atlantic Slave trade!!!!! 400 years....OH NOES.

No acknowledgment that it involved millions in the name of Christianity. Your culture. No mention of maiming, raping and kidnapping in the name of your culture. Forced to work in cotton, sugar and tobacco fields on which your culture was built.

Also it is not true that I am "morally grandstanding" at all. You are the one insisting that your culture is better than the ones you raided and stole from so inexpertly. I am not suggesting that Judaism is better than Christianity, merely that virtually no modern Christians have even a simple understanding of the Hebrew faith on which not only their entire religion, but much of their legal, moral and other systems are based. I would argue that Christianity is an immature and far more violent oppressive culture than that of Jews who for much of their early existence were enslaved and so have always been less likely to enslave others.

Again another straw man argument you suggested that I was comparing the Salem Witch trials to genocide. Never happened you again are making it up

finally

Those events happened in the PAST

radical Militant Islam is an issue NOW

so exactly why did you fail to respond to any of the current examples I gave ?

The Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda that has maimed, raped, & killed up to 100,000 people according to the UN, during the past 15 years, which is far more destructive than ISIS, and they've done so to establish Biblical Law as a self-described Christian organization

Is it because these people are not American? I always thought that the Christian Church was global? or could it be that you are just failing to acknowledge that these "self-described" Christians are no different to the "self described" Muslims who suggest acting like Barbarians is somehow an expression of their culture?
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks