Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default boxing mentality

hello, i'm starting out boxing, and i have a few questions. my family if full of boxers, and i love boxing, but sometimes i feel unconfident when i spar someone that is bigger than me. I am afraid i'll lose, and i keep training, and trying to stay calm, but it's kinda hard, i feel like i'm going to lose all the time. I'm short, about 5'4, but i'm only 14. I know mike tyson and other guys are short, but i feel like other people would beat me in sparring, so basicly, i have a fear in sparing sort of. How do i get over the that and what should i be thinking when i need to spar a bigger guy? What should i do mentaly?(thx in advance)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: boxing mentality

well if they are u weight and taller than u then just think they cant be as strong cus if they are taller and the same weight they will be thinner and most likely less powerful stay confident and try to bully them disrupt their flow and dont wait for there shots be first and dictate the pace to make them worry about you

hope this helps bit breif but to be honest u have to just find what works for u when it comes to mental preperation

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its probably because of your family being there when you do it. Even if they are not, they are in your head, suprisingly its a common flaw
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

also.... dont think of sparring as winning or loosing, you dont actually win or loose during a spar, everyone wins because anything you do in there is part of training...... simple advice...
    stay calm,cool, collected, take it at a comfortble pace, make the other guy work at your pace dont wait for his shots, get off with your own, if you cant think or see what to do keep the jab out there..
    look for your oponing, hit it.. always keepy the guard up and always stay thinking..
    peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ty guys, that helps a lot, i will try to keep that in mind-
    ttyl

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You would be surprized what effect even keeping a small smile on your face does for you.
    In hard times under pressure it can trigger brain waves that relax you more.
    I think its also disconcerting to someone who is trying 2 beat on you ,to see that you are emotionally uneffected by them.
    Relax by knowing that you dont ever move into trouble.
    Know your footwork by practicing your work with things in yourmind as to WHY?.
    Know exactly why it is ,that you move a certain way.
    Study the others moves from a distance when they spar someone else ,look and know where you can go to get away from their intentions,move away from their largest threat ,catch them on the turn.

Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I spar I like to establish the ground rules with the other guy up front. How hard we're going, number rounds, etc. That way you know you're not going to get a beating if you know the guy is stronger/more experienced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hello, i'm starting out boxing
    Theres your problem right there.
    EVERYBODY is scared of sparring when they first start. Youll get better, youll enjoy it more and the fear will go.

Thread Information