Default Our Earths Biodiversity Crisis

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Our Earths Biodiversity Crisis

I'm sure the soundtrack and the sensationalist nature of the video will get some guffaws , but nothing in there is made up. Uncontrolled deforestation is indeed a problem. Those who live in developed countries may recognize the problem... but across the world there are many countries who think nothing of massive deforestation for the sake of "progress." This is particularly problematic in eco-sensitive areas, such as the Amazon basin. Pollution is even worse, as there is no excuse to have literal islands of plastic pollution floating around in the Pacific. It's pathetic is what it is. That's where organizations like the UN should step in, and stop being a useless entity. Who else but the UN to impose sanctions on countries that insist on continuing to spew millions of tons of plastic debris into the ocean.

Speaking of the ocean, the part about the coral reefs is all too true. As a diver, I've personally seen the change in our reefs here in the Caribbean over the years. It's been gradual, so to some it's difficult to notice. But thinking back far enough and visualizing how it used to be, the difference is quite notable. We are definitely not headed in a good direction, that's for sure.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is an area I would take issue with Jordan Peterson and say 'There are too many people on this planet right now and we are seeing the terrible consequences of it'. We need more animals and plants and less people. People are almost like a cancer on the planet at this stage. It doesn't mean that people are all bad, after all the cancer itself probably does not see itself as a terrible thing. It is just trying to survive too, but it will devastate the body around it until inevitable death results. People need to adapt and become less malignant to the earth around them. This of course means less children and more self control. Is it really so difficult or terrible to not have several children? I get that it is a personal choice, but it just seems so selfish to me. If you want a healthy environment for your great grandchildren, then surely people must see that the best way is a little restraint and self control. It is the Middle East and Africa that is truly out of control in this regard. Even Muslims in the West have far higher birth rates too. It is extremely selfish. Me, me, me, me, me. My attitude is that once I am done that is my impact done, but for every person who multiplies with every generation, that impact over even a short time becomes extremely toxic.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not even on an anti-children rant there, more suggesting that a couple of children is kind of ordinary and that one is somewhat ideal and for anyone who wants a good nights sleep just to not bother at all. I know plenty of people with kids and the most is two, but typically one. Smarter people do tend to have less children, but of course that is not always true. I mean, what impact is this family below going to have? And if even the next generation have 2 kids each next, then it just becomes absurd. If they had only had 2 kids then those 2 had 2 kids it is somewhat sustainable. In many parts of the world the birth rates are absurd and it all comes at a cost.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/770575...baby-last-one/

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was wondering what to do with all my free time now that im bored with dumping plastic bags and shit into the ocean. Mowing down dandelions sounds like a great substitute. Bees arent kosher anyways, to hell with em.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I am not even on an anti-children rant there, more suggesting that a couple of children is kind of ordinary and that one is somewhat ideal and for anyone who wants a good nights sleep just to not bother at all. I know plenty of people with kids and the most is two, but typically one. Smarter people do tend to have less children, but of course that is not always true. I mean, what impact is this family below going to have? And if even the next generation have 2 kids each next, then it just becomes absurd. If they had only had 2 kids then those 2 had 2 kids it is somewhat sustainable. In many parts of the world the birth rates are absurd and it all comes at a cost.

6000 kids die everyday from a lack of clean water and millions and millions are abandoned/homeless all over the world.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    6000 kids die everyday from a lack of clean water and millions and millions are abandoned/homeless all over the world.
    Because of overpopulation and lack of family planning.

And it's going to get a lot worse during the next decade. If there ever are another two years with drought like in 1931 and 1932 (dust bowl), so the USA and Canada with failed crops could not export food, there would be mass starvation in many countries.

Everybody wants to leave those countries, and come to Europe and America. But where does it end?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And that is clearly not a good thing. If people would just think a little more, then things could be better, but as seen with demographic trends it is going to be very problematic this century and that is not all down to climate change. That is due to population expansionism. Those least able to raise children are having the most children.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

These are privileged peoples problems, my point about the kids is we can't even really comprehend the lives of genuine uneducated destitute people. With all "our" wealth, education and science the vast majority still believe in supernatural stuff controlling their lives. We fight and argue about hurting each others feelings.

I was just listening to African women thanking Cherie Blair for highlighting the rape they suffered in Africa, in the space of 30 minutes about a dozen women thought being raped by their dad, uncle, etc was the norm until they came to this country. Utterly crazy world.

(not saying it shouldn't be changed just that it's impossible)
    Last edited by Fenster; 03-29-2019 at 04:55 AM.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Overpopulation is a problem for everyone. It means too many people in poor countries and then the West allowing them in. It wouldn't be a privileged persons problem if we had enforced borders.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Overpopulation is a problem for everyone. It means too many people in poor countries and then the West allowing them in. It wouldn't be a privileged persons problem if we had enforced borders.
    Wouldn't it make more sense - be easier - to wipe them all out? Although i'm not sure how it impacts you, at nearly 40 with no offspring why do you care? Unfortunately you'll be long gone before ever witnessing/experiencing your imagined utopia.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wouldn't it make more sense - be easier - to wipe them all out? Although i'm not sure how it impacts you, at nearly 40 with no offspring why do you care? Unfortunately you'll be long gone before ever witnessing/experiencing your imagined utopia.
    I assume you have no children too, do you think it would make sense to just wipe them all out?

I guess it's not really part of my nature to want mass genocide. I would prefer to be reasonable and encourage people to be sensible. If people in other countries want to have 6 children each, that is their choice, but they should deal with the consequences there. All I suggest is that there is a more intelligent way to conduct oneself.

Quite true that none of it really has any effect on me, but maybe it suggests that I intrinsically just want a better future for the earth that we live on and that we hopefully quite like and enjoy. I don't see the point in spoiling it because people cannot control themselves.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I assume you have no children too, do you think it would make sense to just wipe them all out?

I guess it's not really part of my nature to want mass genocide. I would prefer to be reasonable and encourage people to be sensible. If people in other countries want to have 6 children each, that is their choice, but they should deal with the consequences there. All I suggest is that there is a more intelligent way to conduct oneself.

Quite true that none of it really has any effect on me, but maybe it suggests that I intrinsically just want a better future for the earth that we live on and that we hopefully quite like and enjoy. I don't see the point in spoiling it because people cannot control themselves.
    Just saying it would be more simple than educating/stopping them with all the silly PC rules and regulations.

Intrinsically I suppose you're right, but none of it will effect us either way, whether or not the flag of sharia rustles over Buckingham palace one day won't have any bearing on us nor a Rhino or dog going extinct.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh snap the frogs are dying

A fungus that kills amphibians is responsible for the biggest documented loss of nature from a single disease, say researchers.

Better biosecurity and wildlife trade restrictions are urgently needed to prevent any more extinctions, they say.

The disease, chytridiomycosis, has caused mass die-offs in frogs, toads and salamanders over the past 50 years, including extinctions of 90 species, according to a review of evidence.

It has spread to over 60 countries.

Australia, Central America and South America are particularly hard hit.

"Highly virulent wildlife disease, including chytridiomycosis, is contributing to the Earth's sixth mass extinction," said Dr Ben Scheele of The Australian National University in Canberra.

"We've lost some really amazing species."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...nment-47735823

Thread Information